How We Actually Avoided Turning on our Heat This Past Winter

space heater

In October, I wrote an article entitled “25 Ways to Avoid Turning on Your Heat This Winter.” I included some helpful advice and some silly ones just for laughs. Well, springtime is here and I can say that we actually avoided turning our heat on this winter. Our lowest temperature this winter was 2 degrees, so it’s not like we didn’t need the heat, we just chose to get heat in a more economical way. Our house has oil heat and with the oil prices being at a record high this year, I didn’t want to fork out $800 to fill up our tank. So we looked at every alternative to turning on our oil furnace.

Let me clarify that we didn’t turn our furnace complete

This entry was posted in Personal Finance, Saving Money, Utilities and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to How We Actually Avoided Turning on our Heat This Past Winter

1. Raven says:

I keep my home cooler than most people I know (average 65F), but there is a line I won’t cross–I have to be able to *live* in my house. Wanting to save money is all well and good, but add up the cost of extra electricity (heating hot water, running the oven and electric blankets, etc.) and of gas to go to the places that are warmer than your home. There was absolutely nothing inspiring in this article.

Oh, and wool or synthetic blends are MUCH warmer than cotton sweats.

2. AJC @ 7million7years says:

… or simply leave your thermostat turned up to 68 degrees, which helps you concentrate on new ways to make money … so much more fun!

But, I don’t turn it up to 70 … that’s my symbolic way of saying that saving money still matters even when other people think you have enough to burn.

3. Lauren says:

At least your puppy is keeping your spot warm for you. ;)

4. Cindy M says:

I think electric blankets are invaluable. I’ve used them for years and would not know what to do without them.

5. Paula says:

Well, we live in the country, so we heat with wood. It’s free, and hubby stays in great shape chopping wood for the stove!

6. Hilary says:

I like electric mattress pads better – the queen/king size ones even have two sets of controls, so that you can put it on but your partner doesn’t have to.

7. Frugal Momma says:

I think there are alot of smart thing mentioned here :)

We don’t go as low as 55 degrees but keep the heat 64-65 degrees. The kids and I dress warm, wear socks. We replaced our windows a couple of years back so that helps too.

8. Betty says:

You can also vent your dryer inside for the winter. It will give you extra heat and moisture. Just make sure you put something on the end of the hose to collect the lint.

9. Sara says:

We also refrained from heating our apartment all winter and it saved us a lot of money. Being surrounded by other apartments helped, as did living in a not-too-cold city (Seattle avg 35-50F in the winter). The apartment averaged about 59-62F. A lot of your tips were ones we also used.

Having a drier that vented into the apartment added a few degrees. Wearing fleece sweats with a layer underneath helped a lot (with slippersocks, of course). Most important were the electric blankets and heavy duvet. We have an electric throw blanket for sitting on the couch which was a lifesaver! Luckily I like sleeping in a 60 deg room so after heating the bed for an hour we could turn the electric comforter off and sleep comfortably.

I thank my father for my ability to withstand a cold house. Our house growing up was rarely over 65. My husband was just happy to save money so he was willing to go along.