The Value of an Hour

This entry was posted in Education and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to The Value of an Hour

1. trex says:

I think this is a hugely important point. I get so sick and tired of “financial experts” telling me I shouldn’t spend my money when I can do it myself. So many times it is a bunch of bs.

If you know what your time is worth, there are plenty of times when it pays to pay someone to do the work. I pay someone to clean my house because my time is worth more than $10 an hour.

I pay someone to mow my lawn because my time is worth more than the $10 I pay the local kid.

Know what your time is worth and pay for things that others will do for less.

2. viola says:

Very good article! Hope that makes people be more aware of how and what on to ‘spend’ their energy.

Thank you!

3. Hilary says:

trex – I don’t think you read this article carefully.

It’s about the fact that sometimes, if we derive pleasure from something (like teaching), then it’s not about how the dollars add up. Sometimes it’s worth it to “work” for free because it adds to your happiness.

4. trex says:

@Hilary

Oh, I read it. I just commented on what I felt was a more important aspect that arises from the entire subject

5. yikes says:

I hope you won’t try to teach anyone about writing until you’ve looked up the correct usage of “myriad”.

6. Ann says:

@yikes

Myriad:
    having innumerable phases, aspects, variations, etc.

Myriad also means a thousand, but this is the definition of my usage.
    Thank you.

7. jaed says:

I think yikes’s point (which could have been made more courteously) is that “myriad” is an adjective, not a noun. (So you might express your thought as “My myriad students have myriad struggles with each of their myriad subjects.”) In English the Greek word works more like “thousands” than “thousand” – so “a myriad of” is a little awkward, even though it’s often seen.

8. Noelle says:

myriad = hyperbole

In this situation, since hyperbole is a poetic/prosaic feature, perhaps we can excuse it as such and allow Ann to bend the rules a bit.
    Also, I enjoyed the article, Ann. I understand your point. Sometimes activity that looks like work, and therefore could potentially be tied to a monetary value, is actually play/rest.