How Trashing My TV Resulted in $16,000 a Year

Two years ago, I made the decision to pull the plug on my satellite subscription. I did it because I felt like a lot of my time was being squandered on worthless entertainment and I didn’t have the ability to regulate my television usage any other way. Unfortunately, I am one of those people who gets sucked in to the TV, and even if nothing “good” is on, I just sit there dumbly watching. If I turn it on for the morning news, likely it will still be on at bed time. (I work from home, so that’s entirely possible.) Combine that with a laptop computer and wireless Internet connection and you can see that I was set up for a day of sofa surfing. I finally realized that my b

This entry was posted in Entertainment, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to How Trashing My TV Resulted in $16,000 a Year

1. A. Marino says:

There was a time that my husband and I turned off the TV and also found that we had more time for things that we had said that we didn’t have time for before. Television definitely can zap your time.

I have read that even your brain performs differentlyl when watching TV. You’re almost in a nonethinking stage.

How did you calculate the TV? I’ve read that it is about .03 an hour per TV and mind you that is the older TV’s. The newer LCD and Plasma’s use a lot more electricity.

Good article.

2. Cakespy says:

The darker side of NOT having TV. Very interesting!

3. Ann says:

When we quit the dish, we bought TV on DVD, and now we always watch TV together, or it’s educational stuff we got from the library. It has definitely improved our quality of life: together time, movie night, and stuff we actually care about!

Mind boggling math. Thank you.

4. Jim says:

Now if I could just turn off my computer or at least bring myself to get rid of stumble I wonder how much I would save.

5. Christina says:

Interesting. I wonder what a lifestyle without the computer would be like for me — I use it for 80% of my correspondence, and 75% of my entertainment.

Having a kid and a full-time job can sap strength and zap time. I wonder how people with both, and who watch television get things done…

6. Hilary says:

Of course you wrote an article earlier about how exercising actually costs you money (shoes, race entry fees, etc.), so that was a direct cost associated with the TV-riddance :).

7. A. Marino says:

After getting my satellite statement yesterday, it might seem be tempting to get rid of the satellite My bill just went up by $5. a month on a $47.99 bill. That’s more than a 10% increase which is riduculous. I wonder what would happen if people just got fed up and a lot of these providers would lose their customers because of ridiculous increases.

8. Provi says:

If I want to watch anything on TV, I just look it up on youtube instead. Most of the stuff I genuinly want to watch can be found on the internet for free. Sadly, watching youtube more than TV is true for me, and it fits this tech junkie and growing college student fine.