Frugal By Necessity or Frugal By Choice

pennies

When I volunteered to send greeting cards to members of the congregation as part of our church’s “encouragement team,” the team leader told me that the church could stamp
the envelopes if it was a financial hardship for my family. “We can manage it,” I said a bit sheepishly (as I do when I don’t know someone else’s views on saving money), “as long as people don’t mind having more than one stamp on their envelopes. I buy them at a discount on the Internet.”

As it turned out, I needn’t have worried about sounding cheap. The team leader replied, “I understand completely. We raised six kids on a single income.” She

This entry was posted in Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Frugal By Necessity or Frugal By Choice

1. Meg from The Bargain Queens & All About Appearances says:

I like to think that my husband and I are frugal by choice, but a recent check of income vs. bills and debt showed that we need to be frugal but aren’t.

2. baselle says:

Sometimes its a game, sometimes its not. I’ve been on both sides, choice and necessity. Choice is a matter of money, necessity is a matter by character. You can always tell who has been frugal by necessity – they never ever say “I can’t possibly do (or not do) that.” They’ve either done it or considered doing it.

3. dawn says:

I am frugal more by choice than necessity at this point in my life. When I was raising children… definitely by necessity. I think with the American economy the way it is, all of us should be choosing to be frugal!

4. Minimum Wage says:

Your area might also have one or more brick-and-mortar stamp dealers; if there is such a dealer, they will have a box of discounted stamps you can rummage through to pick the stamps and denominations you want. A dealer might also carry a few of the better or more popular stamp periodicals. Stores which carry periodicals (some bookstores and convenience stores) may also have stamp magazines.

5. karen cain says:

im a spanish speaking but i can read and understand english, every thing that i read on this blog is very helpful please keep up the good work.

6. Charles says:

Any person can be frugal, even multi-millionares, the homeless person on the street, our children’s kindergarden teacher. A person who can distinguish necessity from desire, that is a person who can have a more secure future. It is quite simple really, the more we have, the more we want. Why? Because we are already thinking we have more, so we can make (afford) more. If you can lead a simple life, covering your necessities, and you can balance your wishes (wants), then you are all the more prepared to make adjustments and changes when the time calls for it. In plain words, do you ‘need’ a new television, or do you just ‘want’ one, do you ‘need’ a new car, or do you ‘want’ one. There are circumstances when you may need either or both of these items, but make sure ou are honest to yourself, and that you stick faithfully to what is wisest, your needs.

7. Joy Hatch says:

My husband and I have always been frugal by choice, but now that we’re raising children it’s become more of a necessity. I see so many families getting “necessity” and “choice” mixed up when it comes to buying for baby.

8. Daphne says:

I am frugal by choice and it has helped me in separating my needs and wants. Plus, this has made me really think about what is a need and what is a want. Like you, I make a game out of saving when I can.

When you save consistently regardless of whether or not you need to then it’s easier if you are forced to pull back and hopefully you won’t have to go deep into debt if you have an unexpected problem or bill.

9. Pingback: Monroe on a Budget » Blog Archive » Frugal by choice … or by necessity?

10. Jenni says:

What are brick-and-mortar stamp dealers?
    And where would you look for a stamp dealer? Not to sound too naieve. I am being frugal by choice right now, and want to learn all I can now, rather than later. I grew up as 1 or 5 kids of a single mother in the 60′s and 70′s, so frugalness is something I grew up with.
    I tend to look at my clothes, as another project, like to make a quilt with, when I can’t use them as clothing anymore.

11. pfadvice says:

You can learn more about discount stamps here:

Stamps At Below Face Value