Hunting for Change

Along with tracking my “penny wise” savings this year, another thing I vowed to do was to track where I found money. I don’t mean “finding” as in digging in my couch cushions or getting my tax refund. I mean finding money that wasn’t lost by me. Each day that I found money, I wrote down where I found it and how much. Reading over the list, I’m amazed at how much I found and where some of it appeared.

Hunting change is a habit I learned from my Dad. He was always on the hunt, walking with one eye turned toward the ground. He could never pass a pay phone or vending machine without checking the coin return slot. More often than not, he came up with som

This entry was posted in X Files and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Hunting for Change

1. dawn says:

“People looked at me funny when I crawled under the bench to get it”

I think the above comment is one reason why people don’t stoop over to pick up money, they quarter isn’t worth the funny looks

2. mom-from-missouri says:

I found a lot of cash and some gift cards in a pink purse with no ID. I didn’t trust the store with it. So, I put an ad in the paper to call, describe and claim. I got a call-it belonged to a 8 year old girl. It was money she had saved up and lost in the store. She was so happy to get it back she baked me a cake.

3. Aleta says:

My son dated this girl that would put her change into her car, but if it was pennies, she would kick them out of the car and would say how worthless they were. My son started telling her how I saved pennies in piggy banks, rolled them into the coin wrappers and took them to the bank and bought savings bonds with them. I paid $206.25 and in Oct of 2007 had a value of $1,005.60. We just cashed in 2 of them that matured for $500 and bought his daughter (my granddaughter) a $1,000.00 bond paying $500. for it. He wanted to pass it down. By the way, he didn’t marry the girl who kicked the pennies out of the door of her car.

Like you, i have found money inside the slots of self-pay where people have forgotten to take their change. You can’t turn that in. It has no ID unless it had something with it to identify it. Like you said it is free money.

4. anonymous says:

I bike with a guy who picks up change. I have seen him stop, in the middle of the road, to pick up a penny or two. The absolute best case for this guy is that he finds a few dollars per year. The worst case is he gets whacked by a car.

Penny-wise, pound-foolish.

5. moneybags says:

My favorite change finding spot was the toll booth. I picked change up every time through. Now that I have the IPass, I drive through the fast lanes. I miss the change, but it isn’t worth the time.

6. ben says:

Never understood why people wouldn’t pick up coins. Money is money.

7. counterpoint says:

Is it really worth the effort to pick up a penny? There is the time involved and then the chance of injuring yourself doing so. While getting injured isn’t likely, a reward of 1 penny isn’t much. When you begin looking at it like this, it may not be so smart to pick it up.

8. dan says:

@ counterpoint

I don’t think it is so much about the money as an attitude overall. Yes, a single penny might not work out to be the best use of time for the money, but the attitude that coins aren’t worth picking up probably costs you in many other ways.

9. Help Me Friend says:

“Is it really worth the effort to pick up a penny? There is the time involved and then the chance of injuring yourself doing so. While getting injured isn

10. bleason says:

As a retiree in my sixties, I walk one hour each day. I walk fast, but with head down and eyes focused looking for money. This morning was a good walk money wise. I found four quarters, three dimes, two nickles and forty pennies. I have been taking money walks for about two months. What follows are a few observations and safety tips. I walk streets at curb level. I do limited scanning, eyes mostly focused in a two to three foot area. If a coin is spotted, I look for clusters as coins are often lost in bunches. Recently I found seven quarters in a cluster outside of a bar. When walking streets, I detour onto parking lots and walk the stripped areas. This technique resulted in my largest find to date, a ten dollar bill. I also walk parking lots of appartment complexes. My largest multiple coin find was 35 pennies in an appartment parking lot. Finding money is dependable in all socio-economic neighborhoods. For safety, I wear a reflecting vest and an orange sun visor cap. I am always aware of the sound of autos, bicyles, and other pedestrians. I place all of my findings into plastic jars, wash the coins, and then when my granddaughters visit, we take the coins to the machines that convert coins into larger denominations. We spend the money on granddaughter treats.

11. Lynne says:

I find a lot of money also! I have found 40.00, 20.00 many times 10.00
    and a lifetime of change. Sometimes
    finding change just lifts you up, right?
    I love photography, and avidly look
    at flicker. One day I started a group
    pool for pictures of found money.
    Its more fun when you get to tell someone!