Using Product Loyalty Programs to Help Teach Saving Skills

coke bottle caps

As a child, I went grocery shopping with my adult sister at a store that didn’t exist in my hometown. When she checked out, the cashier gave her a number of stamps based on how much she had spent, and she discovered that she had enough saved to treat me to a toy chosen from the store’s stamp redemption counter. Even though I hadn’t seen her save the stamps over several trips, I remember the thrill of seeing how saving up that pile of stamps paid off! It was an early lesson in saving for me and one I didn’t forget.

Buyer loyalty programs have changed quite a bit over the past several decades; instead of giving customers stamps they can collect and exchange for mer

This entry was posted in Food / Groceries, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Using Product Loyalty Programs to Help Teach Saving Skills

1. greenday says:

Thanks for this list. I need to look into some of the loyalty programs that you mentioned since I do buy the products from time to time. On my list of things to do today!

2. Traciatim says:

Instead of buying crap with points, why not teach your kids to save by letting them know that these are just ploys to get more of their money and they should ignore the marketing and use products that they need.

3. ben says:

I used to do this, but found I ended up spending more money trying to get the prize than just buying the prize.

4. Jeremy says:

All you’re teaching children with this stuff is to be victims of marketing and slaves to consumerism.

5. Elmore Riley says:

There are also organizing programs online where you can show your tech-savvy child how to manage rewards and spending online. Leveragecard.com has an interface very similar to online banking and that can be an added feature in your savings lesson.

6. Chuck Garret says:

Loyalty programs are excellent educational programs (I really never thought of in that way). They teach consumers how to be savvy in their accumulation of the reward currency and how to save for that item you want. Granted many programs are ill-conceived – but funny enough, the consumer can figure those programs out. Well constructed loyalty programs do force consumers to make some very considered choices