The Best Way to Save Money – Learn Contentment

100% contentment

Personal finance books and articles offer many simple ways to save money — cut out a daily trip to Starbucks, turn down the heat by one degree, order water at restaurants — and all of these tips are useful, but we often ignore the fact that the best way to save money is not so simple. The best way to save money is to change your thinking so that you consistently focus on saving instead of spending.

To develop a saver’s mindset, be aware of your thoughts about money and possessions. When you catch yourself thinking like a spender (“Can I afford that?”), correct yourself by thinking a saver’s thought (“What can I afford if I don’t buy that?

This entry was posted in Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to The Best Way to Save Money – Learn Contentment

1. zenith says:

I really liked this entry. So true.
    Thanks for sharing it.

2. A Marino says:

How true this article was. How many times have we bought a camera and never read all of the instructions to be able to use all of its functions? Then, a new updated version comes along and we think we need the updated version. I have come to the conclusion that if I have a hard time understanding what I already own that I shouldn’t buy anything newer.

I have done as the poster says. I have wanted to update an area of my house and have found an item that I had put away and forgotten about.

I had an idea when I had gone to a $. store. I found the cutest knicknacks for each season. I even have one for valentines day. What an expensive way to decorate and the items are very small but are above my kitchen sick where I and everyone else can see them. I have had so many compliments on them.

3. Tom says:

Awesome entry.

It seems that when it comes down to savings, people generally just buy for that instant gratification and not think about the future. I think that’s where this kind of plays in. A lot of people need EVERYTHING to become content and can’t just have a few things to remain that way.

4. Candee says:

After researching and continuing to research ways people can save money fr my web site, the options become redundant. I know all to well that finding contentment is, in fact, the only way to stop spending and start saving. Most of my peers are retirees that have downsized and rid themselves of all the “stuff” purchased through the years that never really brought true happiness. In doing so, they discovered freedom that they hadn’t experienced since childhood. Let’s hope readers will take this advice seriously and begin to enjoy life a lot earlier than retirement age.

Bravo, Shannon Christman for explaining it so well.

5. Pingback: Weekly Roundup #11 (January 12, 2008) - My Investing Blog

6. Maxine says:

Definitely words of wisdom. I loved this article. It’s all in the mind.

7. fathersez says:

I agree with your post.

The richest person is one whose wants are the cheapest.

Thanks for sharing.

8. Pingback: Me vs Debt

9. Jennifer says:

What a great post! I think you have summed up what every personal finance blogger writes about! Learning to be content is one of my lifelong goals. Thanks for posting! :)

10. Pingback: Carnival of Personal Finance #136 | Green Panda Treehouse