The Great Secret to Cheap Dental Care

cheap dental care

Within the US and Canada there are over 60 dental schools which provide inexpensive dental treatment. With locations all over the US from Louisville, New York City, Ft Lauderdale, Los Angeles, Omaha, and Chapel Hill it is very likely there is a school nearby. As a dental student, I’d like to reveal some factors to consider when choosing to get dental work done at a school.

Insurance

Dental schools accept most insurances. It is still a good idea to call the school ahead of time to be sure there are no problems. Going to a school may be a good option if the regular dentist drops insurance coverage.

Expert overseers

When I started dental school, I was surprised to find that celebr

This entry was posted in Health, Insurance, Medical, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

73 Responses to The Great Secret to Cheap Dental Care

1. Joan says:

Husband went to a dental school for years, and only saw a professor, no students. Don’t know why no students saw him. I don’t think it took extra appointments or extra time, ever. Maybe the prof had students observing chairside.

2. There is a dental school just down the road from me I’m lucky I have a dentist but I wonder if you can go to the school and have treatment done there. I will have to enquire never even considered the possibility before. Will certainly be worth considering if I ever need any expensive treatments carried out.

3. ~Dawn says:

Excellent information Marilyn, Thank you. I will keep this as reference

4. Great tip. My parents did this once before when I was younger. My dad got selected for one of the exams, and was really pleased.

5. Pingback: How Local Schools Can Help You Save Money on Entertainment and Services - SavingAdvice.com Blog

6. Pingback: Frugal For Life » Blog Archive » Links for a Good Read

7. Eric says:

This is more of a question than a comment. My son needs to have his wisdom teeth removed. He is 21 and they have pushed his other teeth out of line. They are not impacted anymore but they are causing decay in other teeth and his jaws stay swollen and he is in a lot of pain. I took him to an oral surgeon and he said all wisdom teeth need extracting plus another one that was beyond repair. After our Dental Ins. it was going to cost us $1400.00 more and we had to pay after the procedure. There is no way we can do that. We recently moved here from Memphis and was hoping to get a student surgeon for less money. Please let me know if this is possible. Thank you, Eric’s Mom….

8. marilyn says:

Hi Eric’s mom. Dental schools may be cheaper although specialties like oral surgery can be comprabable to other practitioners. Check the link in the article to find a school nearby and ask about their emergency clinics so he can be seen right away.

Anesthesia is one expensive part of the procedure. Ask about what type of anesthesia they are using and alternatives. Many times oral surgeons like to completely knock patients out with general anesthesia, which can be pretty expensive. Specifically ask about using oral sedation or laughing gas as an alternative to general anesethesia.

Call around to other surgeons too. Many surgeons will work with you if they know you can’t pay up front. Go ahead and price shop, but get this resolved fast. Your son’s infection can get even worse.

9. Theresa Rivers says:

I am trying to find a student dentist in my area, I need dental work done, and don’t have a lot of money, and know I will get more for my money with you guys, can i have information on who to contact, I live in St. Louis, Mo, North County.

10. latoya says:

i am looking for a dentisry school in or around the poughkeepsie are. i need some work done on my teeth. i need vaneers really bad and can not afford them. could u give me some info on who and where to call.

11. Greg Mitri says:

I live in Tampa Florida was hoping to get some help finding a school near me. I need alot of work done and really cant afford it. Please help

12. Laura says:

I didn’t know that dental schools did that but i am glad i know now!!! i am 25 and have so many bad teeth that a dentist told me just to have them all pulled and everyone knows how expensive that is.

13. Debbie Johnson says:

I have so many bad teeth, to the point that the bridgework on the left side of my mouth is very loose, and my jaw is in constant pain.Not to mention all the cavities I have, and mant missing teeth.I cannot afford to spend a lot of money as my husband is out of work, and I carry the insurance which isn’t the greatest dental plan.I live in Fort Myers, Florida and I was wondering about these dental students and how much I could save going to one.

14. pfadvice says:

15. John hornback says:

I havee no insurance and need 17 teeth pulled adn dentures made. I live on fixed income. can any of this be done at a school for less cost?

16. pfadvice says:

I havee no insurance and need 17 teeth pulled adn dentures made. I live on fixed income. can any of this be done at a school for less cost/

You need to contact denatal schools in your area to find out the costs.

17. Tammy says:

I need some HELP and ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated!!! When I was younger I experinced with drugs and it has effected my smile!! Now Iam a clean 5.5 years and dealing with customers on a daily basis because Iam a Customer Service Manager!! I know without a doubt a SMILE can go a long way and I do smile but Iam NOT comfortable when I do!!! I would travel whereever I had to for help because dental help is very expensive & I can not afford it due to being a single mom!! Please E-mail me ASAP & let me know if you can help

18. Kelly says:

Here’s a link that gives a list of every dental school in the country:

19. JohnMcDade says:

Ihave a bad tooth in the back thats hurting again, I’m taking an antibiotic in case there is infection ,and would like to have the tooth pulled asap, I’ve heard that dental schools are a way to save money, please let me know. Sincerely, JohnMcDade

20. Nancy Drury says:

What I have is a question not a comment. My husband has dentures and both of them have broken and he is having them fixed. We now realize that he is going to have to have new ones very soon. Do you do this? If so what do you charge?

Thank you for your time in this matter.

Nancy Drury

21. Joe S. says:

I had some work done at a school in philadelphia it was really cheap and the work was really good. I know how to get something done if anyone had any questions.

22. Lola Jenkins says:

I AM A FIFTY-EIGHT YEAR OLD AFRICAN AMERICAN FEMALE RAISING EIGHT OF MY GRANDCHILDREN I AM A DIABETIC AND HAVE HYPERTENSION, ACID REFLUX DIEASE AS WELL A SEVERAL OTHER ILLNESSES. THE REASON I AM WRITING THIS IS TO TRY AND FIND OUT HOW I CAN GET DENTURES BECAUSE I DON’T HAVE TEETH I AM UNABLE TO DIGEST MY FOOD WHICH MEANS I CAN NOT CONTROL MY BLOOD SUGARS AND I FEEL THAT IF I COULD FIND AWAY TO AFFORD DENTURES IT WOULD HELP ME CONTROL MY DIET AND INCREASE THE TIME I HAVE TO LIVE BECAUSE I CAN NOT PROBABLY CHEW MY FOOD MY DIGESTIVE SYSTEM IS OFF AND I ALWAY HAVE INDIGESTION. I HAVE TO LIVB TO TAKE CARE OF MY GRANDCHILDREN THERE ARE SIX BOYS AND TWO LITTLE GIRLS I AM NOT ASKING FOR SOMEONE TO GIVE TO ME FREE BUT TO FIND SOME DENTURES THAT I CAM AFFORD.

23. pfadvice says:

@ lola

I would contact any dental schools in your area to see if they have a program that might be able to help you out. I would also contact individual dentists in your area to see if they have any recommendation on courses of action you might take. Also any local charities – it isn’t going to be easy to find something, but if you are persistent something may come through.

24. Rick Winkler says:

My mouth is a mess how can I learn if you can help?

25. les macpherson says:

i need a root canel post and crown
    looking for low cost dental work
    please help thanks
    ps had two done in mexico for 460
    dollars each but can not get passport to return for the last one

26. thomas spink says:

L HAVE 17 BAD TEETH TO BE EXTRACTED.NO INSURANCE—-WHERE CAN I GET A PRICE ESTIMATE FOR EXTRACTIONS AND PLATES—THANK YOU

27. gretchen says:

what do u call this tyed of work like if i wanted to go let some students work on me what do u call it and how can i do this i would love to do this and what do i say and ask i live in the Louisiana area and or lsu place isn’t taking no one so ill go somewhere else like Mississippi or what ever but i need this done to me .o ya and when i call what ever place witch dept do i ask for. i no this may be alot but this is the frist time i heard this and im ready

28. Amber says:

I am a student at concorde career college in aurora colorado and recently came in to learn oral surgery. I need fillings and wisdom teeth removed really bad and didnt know what I need to o to be seen there. I was hoping someone could help!!! thanks for your help and letting me come assist for you guys! hope to hear from you all soon.

29. kaydene says:

Iam missing four teeth in my mouth, which is soooooo obvious when i smile and it’s embarassing.Would loved to have my tooth fixed so i can smile without hiding my mouth. I have dental insurance but it does not cover every thing. I would like to know what the process is, to get dental work in the dental school.
    Thanks
    Kay

30. Stephanie Rivers says:

I just wanted to say “Thank You” for the great information. I am a single mom with 2 kids and my oldest, who is 14, has had bad teeth ever since the beginning. He has had 3 root canals and now needs 3 crowns. There is no way I can afford them, and it is something he absolutely needs. All dentist offices now want the money up front, and I can’t do it. UNC is 20 mins away, I hope they can help us. Thank you, again!

31. Matthew says:

My name is Matthew Owen. I recently had a full mouth extraction. I was given dentures to be able to chew solid
    food, but due to complications they cause me to gag, I have digestive complications with my stomach, and I have anxiety problems. I am unable to wear them due to these complications, my doctor has also agreed with these symptoms. I attempted to try for full dental implants, but my insurance has refused to cover the overall costs. I have Medicare as my primary insurance and my secondary is Medicaid with Americhoice. I am fully disabled and unable to work, I receive a disability check. However check is not enough to cover the cost to live, let alone an expensive procedure. My insurance has denied the procedure completely, I still have the paperwork and they will not cover any of the costs. Thus, I am now attempting to find a dental school that may be able to help me with dental implants. I have heard that dental schools may offer these procedures for very low costs or free. With the supervision of a teacher with the students. If this is possible I would be very appreciative for some information.
    Thank you for your time in this matter,

Sincerely,
    Matthew Owen

32. pfadvice says:

For all those looking for dental schools for treatments you seek, you will need to contact the dental schools directly to see if they can help you out. Schools have different programs and policies – although it’s a lot of legwork, it’s the only way to know if they may be able to help.

33. ken levy says:

I had to have #7 removed.It was a crow and the root split.Now my only choice is a dental implant and a crown.The denist in Albany wants 4,000 dollars for the implant and 2,000 for the crown.I know I could have it done in Cancun for less than 2,000 implant and crown.But I really don’t want to go to Mexico if I could have it done here.Do they do implants and crowns at dental schools?

34. Marilyn Brodeur says:

Kevin- yes they do implants and crowns at dental schools. At my dental school the implant/abutmetn/crown can be done for 1500-200 dollars. Other schools may be higher or lower.

Matthew Owen- sometimes dentures can cause you to gag if they are to bulkly in the back. They can irritate your superior constrictor muscle and cause you to gag. A simple trim of you denture may be all that is needed. Your doctor is not the person to discuss your dental health with. Talk to your dentist about your concerns.

~Marilyn
    To everyone else concerned about if a dental school can help:
    Many schools offer reduced fees to people who have low incomes. The dental students will do a comprehensive exam, x-rays and then sit down and develop some treatment options. After this is complete they discuss treatment and you can decide what you would like done.

I have personally had patients who hadn’t been to the dentist in years and need a lot of work. Slowly but surely we are turning things around and getting their mouths healthy. It can be done.

35. Marilyn says:

sorry that is 1500-2000 dollars for the implant/abutment/crown.

36. Maria says:

Hi everyone! It’s very exciting to read the posts in this blog. I am a student dentist accepting patients. If you or someone you know are in the Boston area, please contact me and I will do my best to accommodate the days/times most convenient for you to come into the clinic. If you just have questions, I would gladly answer them, as well. Thanks!

37. Michelle says:

I just found out about the possibility of having a student do some work on my teeth. I immediately googled it and came up with this site. Marilyn, I only have one thing to say to you…Thank you thank you thank you. Not only am I going to call one of the schools, but now I know what to expect and know to plan on it taking a little time…which I don’t mind if it comes with a less expensive price tag!!!

38. archie says:

More of a question how much do you think to have a full set of dentures made at a school “if they even do that” I have always had problems with my theeth for the last 10 years meaning have them chip then having them removed. My upper theeth i mainly have from K9 to K9 theeth and equal for the bottom Im afraid of getting partails because of the money and I don’t know how long before another thooth goes bad any help you could give would be great I live in the Pittsburgh area.

39. Maria says:

Hi Archie. You can definitely get complete dentures done at the school. They are around $700-950 per arch where I am. I don’t think it’s as easy as saying that you want to have your remaining teeth extracted to get complete dentures. The best thing to do is make an appoinment at one of the schools in your area. The dentist should come up with the appropriate treatment plan and options for your specific case. Hope that helps.

40. Jose Bouza says:

looking for inexpensive dental work if possible thank you

41. Benny Bulger says:

You’re wrong about Insurance acceptance. It plainly states on the school closest to me (Baylor) that insurance is NOT accepted. Of course this is probably the only school in the country that doesn’t accept insurance since it is the one I live near. I can’t afford to put out all the money even at the schools prices. Any suggestions?

42. Maria says:

Hi Jose. If you are in or near Boston, I will be able to provide affordable dental treatment in the school clinic.

43. Laura says:

I need to get my top wisdom teeth removed they hurt so bad…how much will that cost me? im in sc, york

44. KIM says:

I HAVE HAD 11 BRAIN SERGERIES DUE TO INFECTIONS ALL IT WAS WAS 2 ABSESS TEETH THAT THEY MISSED ALL THE WAY .WHEN ARE DOCTORS AND DENTISTS GOING TO START WORKING HAND IN HAND OH YES THATS WRIGHT TO MANY PEOPLE WOULD START LOSING MONEY HOSPITALS DOCTORS ECT.BUT THE LITTLE PEOPLE WOULD NOT THATS THE PROBLEM FOLOW THE MONEY AND START MAKING THEM GIVE IT UP WHY THATS NOT THE NORM RIGHT NOW?BET YOU CANT GET THAT ANS.

45. karen says:

this was very helpful thank you… iam looking to get implants and am wondering if anyone knows if the medical college of georgia does this …. the school of dentistry..
    any imput will be appreciated

46. Chad Morrow says:

I was wondering. My wife has a hereditary teeth problem. Everone over forty has had to have dentures, On both sides! Does she or would she qualify for a implant program or denture program if she voluneered her teeth and time in exchange for dental work. basically the students test dummy for there degree. and i dont mean that in a bad way. Thanks, C morrow.

47. Jae says:

I am in dire need of dental work. All my teeth are chipped and breaking. Everyone in my family loses their teeth after 40 or so, our bone deteriorates and slowly are teeth chip and fall apart. As everyone else in the world, I have no dental insurance adn can’t afford these astronimical amounts for dental work. Is there a college, in Illinois, that can use my mouth/teeth as a case study and perform the necessary work free or minimal cost. I used to be beautiful and now I am so depressed, because my smile is an embarrassment. Please, help!!!

48. arlene bolen says:

I’M IN NEED OF DENTAL IMPLANTS. JUST LAST WEEK A FRONT TOOTH JUST FELL OUT. I NEED A SCHOOL TEACHING THEIR STUDENTS THIS PARTICULAR TYPE OF DENTISTRY. I’M NOT CAPABLE OF PAYING AND WILL PROUD TO BE A TEST PATIENT TO HELP A FUTURE DENTIST PASS NATIONAL BOARD EXAMS.WILL ANYONE TAKE ME ON IN THE STATE OF MARYLAND? PLEASE REMEMBER I CANNOT PAY. I’M ACTUALLY BEGGING FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

49. mark says:

this is terrible information on local dental schools. the wiki link shows one dental school in all of missouri and it’s on the kansas city side of the state. now the wiki says here is a complete list in the united states and i know of a few dental colleges close by st.louis so i found this information to be far from helpful and i wasted 30 minutes reading for helpful info.

50. Jodi Keddy says:

I am a single mother my daughter is only 8 yrs old her father was murdered when she was three so I am the only surviving parent.I was also diagnosed with interstial cycitis a.k.a disease of my blatter had to take different medicines in process prior to being diagnosed was also sick to my stomach alot and also due to depression and stress had alot of tmj had ruined my teeth and getting sick to my stomach I was informed my teeth were bad and probably going to loose them.Iam only 28 with no longer a job or dental insurance with no immediate income as a single mom with already health issues and scared don’t know where to start or get help and i dont want to leave my daughter behind with no parent because i couldn’t get my teeth fixed and infection to spread to my body or kidneys.I dont want this to happen so could somebody give me addvice/help on what to do before its to late.Thankyou