10 Frugal Moves That Improve the Environment

used

It’s no coincidence that most frugal people are environmentally conscious, and vice versa. Frugal lifestyle choices tend to be environmentally friendly choices. It’s almost impossible to be concerned about the environment without taking actions that lessen your own environmental impact. Similarly, it’s difficult to be frugal and still have a large negative effect on the environment. The two lifestyles are connected in such a way that dedicating yourself to one or the other almost guarantees commitment to the other, whether you fully realize it or not.

True frugality is not just about saving money, although that’s often the most noticeable benefit and the reason peop

This entry was posted in Personal Finance, Saving Money. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to 10 Frugal Moves That Improve the Environment

1. ben says:

We could do a lot better as a nation is we could get out of the habit that everything has to be convenient.

2. granny says:

I think that one of the biggest problems with the environmental movement is that they try and moralize the issue. If they would stop with how everyone is being such a bad person and instead focused on the money that could be saved, I think you would have a lot more willing participants. It’s money that motivates people, not something that they can’t see like global warming.

3. deana says:

I look at is as a bonus. If I can save money and help the environment at the same time, all the better.

4. dan says:

It’s too bad we are such a consumer focused nation. We really do waste way too much and it is really sad when you think about it.

5. CindyW says:

Hi Jennifer,

Great article. Can’t agree with you more! Green consumerism is still consumerism. As the population continues to grow and natural resources diminish, one of the most important way to save us from ourselves is reduce consumption. Most people don’t like to see or hear the reality until reality hits them on the head, so to speak.

Anyway, appreciate your article. We run a twice-a-month “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle” carnival on Organicpicks’s blog. Please check it out.

6. Karsten says:

Great points made. Nice list, very concise. It like especially the line-up of “Use is up, wear it out, make it do”.

And for dear Granny:

It is not the environmental movement that is moralizing. It is not news that waste and living at the expense of others is not nice. That sort of thinking is actually quite old. There is very little “news” about the envionment. For a while now, it is going downhill and people are too lazy, convenient, and short-sighted to do something about it. Fewer people are respecting those folks and that is good. I see few reasons to respect people who live at the expense of others, do not want to change, and plan to teach their children to do just like them.
    And if money will create a change in them: Or economy will find some slick ways to reduce guilty feelings (currently by calling anything “green”) while making profits. It is called “green washing” and is already hard at work. It results in people changing very little of their destructive habits, keeping the economy going and the buck rolling, and feeling pretty good about being “green”. The environmental movement (and humanity) needs willing AND educated participants – not people who want to save money in the first place.
    The want to save money has brought us where we are: Spending less and letting others (our environment, people in other countries, future generations) pay for what we do.
    It is time to say it. Even if folks don’t like to hear it.

Karsten

7. Karsten says:

BTW, that’s what it says on the only bumber sticker on my 1997 36-40 mpg Saturn and as far as I know I made it up:

“Poor People Pollute Less”

Maybe not voluntarily, but still true.

Karsten

8. not a gator says:

I dunno, granny, environmental reasons actually will motivate me more than money.

Money is a lousy motivator for me … it doesn’t really get me to do much. My brother, OTOH, will do anything if you dangle a twenty in front of him, and he’ll do it promptly. We grew up in the same house, we’re just wired differently.

I always recycle, even when it’s inconvenient to me. To me, the waste is immoral. I also drink out of public drinking fountains (taking a chance–I once got bronchitis from a fountain) rather than buying bottled water.

That being green saves me money is just a nice bonus. :)

9. sajidsafety says:

Think today for tommorow future