How to Get out of Paying Your Bills – Forever

I never pay any of our bills. Neither does my husband. But they get paid. Every month and on time.

Now I’m not advocating ignoring your bills and racking up a ton of debt. That would be stupid and begging for bankruptcy. What I am advocating is never physically going through the process of paying the bills. While many have already figured out how to do this, there are many more that are still living in the old days.

I remember growing up and watching my mom go through the process of “paying bills.” She would sit down with all the bills she’d received in the mail, along with her checkbook, envelopes, and of course stamps. I didn’t pay much attention to

This entry was posted in Budgeting, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Utilities, X Files. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to How to Get out of Paying Your Bills – Forever

1. Uri says:

Keeping a low bank balance is usually a good idea because that money earns no or relatively low interest. There are other more significant reasons to avoid auto-pay though. Its very hard to tell when you are at risk of overdraft and no reasonable balance will protect you. Its not clear that auto-pay saves any effort since you still have to check not only that the charges are correct but also that the company didn’t miss any since they’ll still hold you responsible. Perhaps auto-pay reduces accidental late payments but increases accidental over-payments. I generally only subscribe to auto-payment on credit cards because mistakes are easier to correct and the buffer is free (unused credit).

2. Annie J says:

I won’t use auto pay, because our income tends to fluctuate. I don’t want automatic payments coming out of our account and risking an overdraft whenever we might be having a slow month. If I knew we were running short, I’d have to go in and change settings in order for a bill to NOT be paid automatically. Big hassle, IMO.

However, I am a big advocate of on-line bill paying using the one-time-only method. Because the billing info is stored with my bank’s online screens from month to month, it still saves a lot of time over writing out checks and there’s no postage.

3. princessperky says:

I still ‘pay bills’ sometimes, but I do it with a click of a mouse, not with a pen and paper, almost free of it, and definitely prefer the one style of work to the other. (plus no stamps)

4. vsjhoc says:

I’m a big fan of automatic payment. But I always schedule payments a few days before the due date. You’re risking Murphy’s Law if you cut it too close. Some credit card companies won’t post your payment until midnight after the payment date you pick. Or the account you use to pay the bills may be inaccesible. Still, it beats stamps.

5. Shannon C. says:

I actually enjoy paying bills the old-fashioned way; it’s one of my favorite jobs around the house. It also helps me keep better track of our spending. Despite all the good reasons you give for not paying bills, I’m hoping that automatic payments don’t become the only way to pay in the future.

6. Pingback: Around the PF Blogosphere: October 23, 2007 | The Sun’s Financial Diary | A Personal Finance Blog on Saving and Investing

7. Shadox says:

We have an account with Bank of America and use automatic bill pay to pay our rent. The nice thing is that it’s never late, and the money remains in our account until the check is cashed.

We choose not to automatically pay our credit card bills because we ahve noticed a number of false charges on them over the years. We prefer to go over each line item before paying.

8. dan says:

I find it much more convenient to pay through automatic methods than trying to remember each month. I’m too forgetful and always seems to miss a payment here or there before switching.

9. Maxine says:

I don’t pay my bills automatically because I just don’t like the idea of anyone having direct acccess to my account. I like to feel that in case of an emergency, I can decide not to pay a certain bill, because there may be times in your life when you will gladly pay the late fee in order to fulfill an unexpected obligation. However, I am a strong advocate and user of the one time on line payment system and I use that every month. That way I have the best of both worlds. I don’t really like that credit card system of paying your bills….Something about that just doesn’t feel right. But again I stress the one time on line payments to beat that old fashioned check writing, stamp, mailing process. That is the best thing that the companies could have thought about.

10. Mike D. says:

I will be getting a $900 refund this year from my AMEX (Blue Cash)…I funnel everything I can through that card(Groceries, gas, multiple bills, etc) and pay off monthly. I wish I could do my mortgage too!

11. Tim says:

I try to run everything through my credit card when it comes to fixed monthly bills. This cuts down on my clutter, but then I do not have many bills. I am able to check deductions on the internet and use my checking account to pay off the balance. Using a credit card provides somewhat of a buffer over just letting someone autodraw on your account. The only thing I currently have auto-deduction on for my checking account is my car insurance. They don’t offer payment via credit card and charge more if you do lump sum payments for 6 months to a year.

12. Diana Dixon says:

i’m ok with auto pay..however, just going on line on or before my bills are due and paying them is just fine..my husband is in the army so we know exactly when and how much he gets paid so it is easier for us to figure what gets paid when..and at the end of each pay period onto the next..if there is any money left in the checking it automatically gets transferred into a savings account and we don’t miss it! best and easiest way to put money in the bank twice a month! it may be harder though for those who have incomes that fluctuate but it’s not impossible!

13. Cindy M says:

I autopay through my bank for all but my mortgage; that I do in person (I live within walking distance of them) as I pay extra and the online version doesn’t let you spell out where you want the extra put, for some reason. I use one credit card only and that is for gas for the car (a few cents cheaper per gallon this way) which I pay in full monthly. I like not carrying much cash at all on me and will use a debit card for the groceries when I go. My goal is to just not shop much at all and stay out of the stores, which is working amazingly well, that and not subscribing to the local newspaper, and I don’t miss the ads. I sure don’t miss writing checks.

14. FinWhiz says:

Credit cards are evil. If you use auto pay you never have to face up to the fact that you are spending wayyy tooo much money.

15. ben says:

How are you spending too much when you pay off your credit card each month? I actually get money back – I’m earning money by paying with a credit card.

16. Danielle says:

I am the owner of a small business and until recently have never offered my customers a way to pay their bills online or with recurring billing. After many of my customers were requesting another way to pay their bills, rather than by just mailing the payment, I started looking for an inexpensive company to work with. I ended up going with a company out of Colorado called Paysimple.com and have not only found that a majority of my customers prefer online payments, but also that they also make my life a lot easier. Small businesses take note of these consumer comments! Though you may have a small number of people who still prefer a paper invoice, most would like a simpler way to pay you. I wish I had set it up sooner for my customers.

17. pussy wife lover pee says:

wife pee daily pussy wife pussy pee life