Will You Need A License To Sell On eBay?

eBay license

Last week, eBay sent me a message urging me to contact my state representatives in support of a bill that would exempt eBay sellers in Pennsylvania from having to get auctioneer licenses. “You may have heard the Pennsylvania State Board of Auctioneer Examiners is lobbying for eBay sellers to be licensed under the state’s outdated Auctioneer Licensing statute,” eBay’s message read. “In fact, one eBay seller has already been forced out of business because of attorney fees incurred while fighting the State Board and the potential of huge fines if the Board ruled against him. Without swift action by the eBay Community and the Pennsylvania legislature, your eBay sal

This entry was posted in X Files. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Will You Need A License To Sell On eBay?

1. dan says:

I can’t think of a worse thing that they could do. I don’t understand why the government has to stick its nose into everything.

2. ben says:

The government wants their tax money that very few on ebay are paying and if that means more regulations, you can expect to see more of it in the future.

3. MeC says:

You need to separate the intrepretation of statute by the auctioneer board from the actual statute. You need to look at who is on that board (usually auctioneers or attorneys who work for auctioneers). In Tennessee, the auction board said “yes you need a license”. The state attorney general said “no you don’t”. The legislature said and did pass a law exempting on-line auctions. My legislator said the ONLY emails she got were from auctioneers urging her to vote no, so she did. EBay’s warning is acurate, responsible and every eBay seller should contact their state representative and let them know they need to allow the exemption. Tennessee was going to require on-line auctioneers to learn how to auction livestock and real estate. Odd that there were only 2 auctioneers schools licensed in the state – and neither had any educational hours devoted to on-line selling.

4. Georgia says:

I find that eBay is a good way to get rid of some of the stuff I no longer need, but if I were forced to get a license to sell on it, there is no way I would or 99% of the people would.

5. Matia Bryson says:

Sorry… I couldn’t help but chuckle at the observation that the demise of eBay selling would cause the landfills to be expanded. Surely, there are more options… like garage sales, consignment sales, charitable giving. Then again, it would prove the old maxim about one man’s trash being another man’s treasure.

6. steve says:

The existing law would not require those that buy and sell items on Ebay to have a license. A license would only be required by those Ebay sellers that are selling items on consignment for other people. Aren’t Ebay sellers that are selling merchandise for others performing many of the same duties that an auctioneer is?

7. Pingback: Will I need my license to sell on eBay? at Mighty Bargain Hunter

8. mbhunter says:

Very interesting. As someone who is most of the way toward becoming a licensed auctioneer, this will be quite a hot topic.

9. Libby says:

Read the following:

Ebay DID NOT stretch the truth. November 19th, news articles online and on TV and Radio have confirmed that the State of PA is enforcing the auctioneering lisencing requirement to all eBayers who sell for others online. You must have an auctioneer’s lisence or face a $1,000 fine. To get a license is NOT easy, it takes several courses and/or years of apprenticeship.

I do not agree with any of it, but what can I do? Looks like selling with Fixed Price listings only might be the answer for now.

10. Michelle says:

Shannon, ebay was not wrong. In fact, I just received a message from my PA senator telling me that just such a law was passed, requiring sellers on ebay to be licensed and pay $100.

11. Michelle says:

From what I’ve read, the bill that recently passed requires those who sell things on ebay *for other people* to register. I do not think you need to register if you sell things just for yourself. See SB 908.