How My Big Mouth Saves Me Money

Instead of mumbling, “What a rip off” to yourself as you walk out of a place of business, tell the business owner or manager what has you steamed. Companies who deserve your business will listen. Here are three positive experiences, and one negative, I had.

Get an estimate in advance

Recently, I took my road bike to our local bike shop for repair. I explained the difficulty I was having (omitting the fact that I couldn’t keep up with my riding group because I haven’t been riding as often as I should) and asked for an estimated cost to repair it. He looked the bike over, guessed at the problem and suggested I go ahead and get the full service package for $75. I explai

This entry was posted in Personal Finance, Saving Money. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to How My Big Mouth Saves Me Money

1. Aaron Stroud says:

Meredith, good advice and a being honest about bad service is generally good rule of thumb.

But you really need to look into a new oil change shop. When we got our new 4Runner, I stared looking for something better than the standard oil change experience.

In my neck of the woods, we have an Oil Can Henrys which has always given us fast service **and you remain in your car during the oil change.** They also have cameras facing the engine and the bellie of the car, so you can watch them work.

The employees at our local OCH are both friendly and fast. They wear uniforms that were common in the early 1900s and their attitude/demeanor is very polite an respectful.

The service on our vehicle is around $35, so it’s not bottom of the line. But the price is worth the quick, respectful service combined with the comfort of remaining in my vehicle and the knowledge that they’re actually working.

One last note. It is easy to estimate how long the oil change will take because you drive your vehicle into the shop. If there is a long line for serving, it’ll be obvious unlike the oil change shops where you have to park and hand over your keys.

2. Shannon says:

“In all of these instances, I was polite and simply told them about the problem.”

I think that’s the key! I’ve found that presenting the problem respectfully and politely usually gets a much better response than a grumbling and demanding attitude.

After all, the problem is rarely the fault of the person you’re complaining to, so he (or she) really doesn’t deserve the abuse.

3. Saher says:

Yes its quite true it takes a bit of courage but sometimes you do get told off

4. Angela Campbell says:

Right on. I’ve have several incidents where me speaking up has saved me lots of money. I had a credit card that posted a late fee before they posted my payment in full to the card. I called them, explained what was going on and not only did I get the fee waived, they waived the interest and I talked them into lowering my APR by 18%! I don’t mind speaking up – like the guy said, start off being pleasant and ask for a supervisor if you can’t get the initial person to assist you.

5. askprofit says:

I agree 100% – I never understood why pwople wouldn’t want to speak up especially when it comes down to their money!

6. Pingback: Carnival of Debt Reduction #108 - A Story of a Guy in Debt | beingfrugal.net

7. Pingback: carnivals this week : plonkee money

8. Pingback: Carnival Roundup: Week of October 8th at Clever Dude Personal Finance & Money

9. Russ A says:

My girlfriend just did something similar the other night. She was upset with how much she was paying for her cell phone service, so she gave them a call and threatened to cancel. They gave her 40% more minutes AND dropped her price 30%. She did have to sign a new two year agreement, but she was planning on doing so anyway.