How Nudism Can Save You Money

By Nathan Powers

Nudists (or “naturists” as some prefer to be referred to), have been the brunt of many a joke for many years. However, the truth of the matter is that living a nudist lifestyle may actually be far better for you, physically, ecologically and economically.

That dirty word – “Laundry”

Let’s start with the obvious. Nudists tend to wear as little clothing as possible, usually nothing at all, as often as possible or whenever conditions allow. Most live in climates that are tropical enough to maximize this opportunity. Wearing less clothing means washing less clothing and washing the clothing that they own less frequently, requiring the repair a

This entry was posted in Health, Saving Money. Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to How Nudism Can Save You Money

1. NudeAl says:

I agree entirely. In fact I have felt this way for a long time. I would have to add that in terms of positive body image just by being exposed to normal body types our youth would be less prone to fall into the trap of feeling so inadequate about their looks that they resort to cosmetic surgery or even become susceptible to anorexia or bolimea and like disorders.

2. Shirley Gauthier says:

What a great read. Nice piece to forward to friends and those giving a thought to visiting a nudist venue.

Thanks,
    Shirley

3. Veal says:

As a die-hard nudist for over 40 years now, I have to agree with almost everything in your article. It has reduced the stress in my life for sure ever since my first visit to a nudist club in my teens.

Congratulations on an informative article that has the facts straight about nudism. It’s not for everyone but for some of us it is a great way of life.

4. Howard Williamson says:

Entirely true – except that even those of us who live in a temperate climate can save money by not having air conditioning at all – and in winter, it is a whole different kick to feel the bite of the cold on your bare skin. But, this describes the way I live and believe.

5. Tina and Steve Wallace says:

Intelligent, interesting and well written. Much the same ground is covered in Liz Egger’s very funny article Six Reasons to Choose a Nudist Vacation, if you can track it down.

6. Ron says:

I can attest to the health benefits of nudity/naturism After a hectic stress-filled week, my visits to a nude beach on weekends caused the stress to melt away and I could re-enter he stressful life again on Monday.

7. Bison says:

Let’s be honest, “nudism” is just an excuse for dirty old men to expose their private parts to complete strangers, women and children included, and to look at other people’s bits and pieces. All this guff about it being economical or healthy or good for the environment just doesn’t wash. It’s exhibitionism, pure and simple.

8. Shirley Gauthier says:

In regards to post number about nudists being exhibitionists. Having been a member of the American Association for Nude Recreation (AANR) http://www.aanr.com 1-800-TRY NUDE for many years I strongly disagree. It is difficult to imagine someone with varicose veins, double mastectomies, appendectomy scares, birth marks, pregnant women carrying twins, colostomy surgeries, babies and seniors in their nineties being exhibitionists.

Going nude gives me the freedom of zippers, itchy tags in the neck of my shirts, elastic around my waist, scratchy fabrics, and garments things that do not fit correctly. Freedom from having to make decisions about what to wear, what to purchase, time spent shopping for clothes, the money spent on clothes and yes the time and money spent on laundry.

Freedom to be around like-minded people who have given up the illusion that clothes are necessary at all times.

9. Water Buffalo says:

I agree wholeheartedly with Mr. Bison in Reply #8. Bravo Sir, for “exposing” the nudist farce! I have never tried nudism myself, yet I will say without hesitation or evidence that it is a worthless pursuit. The Creator’s one mistake upon placing us on this earth fully evolved, was in not covering His offensive creations with clothing. I even refuse to offend myself with my own nudity. This makes bathing difficult, as I must stand fully clothed in the shower, but I save money and water by washing clothes, and the disgusting body that God gave me to live in, all at once.

10. Lady Star says:

I live in the city and although I cannot go outside nude I do remain nude inside until I have to leave. Yes my theory is saving on laundry and all that goes with it. Great story and outlook on nudism.

11. Nathan Powers says:

Mr. Water Buffolo, good idea, jumping into the shower fully clothed, saving money on laundry. You are probably also saving money on going out with friends as well, because if you do not remove your clothing, you are probably very “ripe”.

Yeah, I can’t figure out why God didn’t cover His offensive creatures. Oh yeah!!! I remeber. When He was done, and they were naked and unashamed, He stood back and called it “VERY GOOD” (Gen 1:31).

God certainly has a sense of humor, doesn’t He.

12. Jon-Marc says:

Having retired to a Florida nudist resort, I do laundry only once a month. Then it’s everything BUT clothes. About every three months I manage to get enough clothes dirty to wash.

I rarely use the furnace being in Florida, and since I can tolerate it warner than the average “bare”, I rarely use the air conditioning. Living in a nudist resort is much cheaper than living elsewhere. I live on a limited retirement income quite well.

I’ve been healthier since retiring than I was before I retired. I love the naturist (nudist) life. Since God created the human body, I see no need to be ashamed of what He has made. He’s not.

13. Cindy M says:

I think this must be about the dumbest/funniest article I’ve seen in awhile. I don’t take naked people seriously, I mean, think about it. It’s sure not practical (think how easy it would be to hurt yourself performing even simple household things naked; you could hurt all those uncovered parts for no good reason, ouch). And most people look like hell naked anyway, come on. I’m cracking myself up just picturing how friends and family would look running around naked. You guys have made my day. Naked, for crying out loud.

14. NudstRalph says:

Very nice and keep up the good work Nathan.

15. Ron Mercer says:

“Exhibitionist”, “worthless pursuit”, “showering with clothes on”, “can’t take naked people seriously”, why are nudist or naturist categorized in this way, however you rarely hear nudist labeling non-nudist as “clothing compulsive”, “clothes phobic” or “body redressed”? Who is it that needs the shrink here?

Well I found that in general naturists are more open minded and accepting of other people’s opinions even if they do not share them. Just like they shed their clothes, they open their minds and are willing to listen. Why is it that people are more accepted in today’s society based on their sexual orientation that their willingness to use or not use clothes?

Have you realized how many of the people that are willing to speak up against nudity, openly admit that they have never tried it? Funnily enough all the nudist that I know have tried using clothes.

Could it be that those that speak up against it are so repressed by society into their clothes that they would prefer to die that be caught without them? How else can you explain being so offended by the Lord’s creation that even your own body becomes offensive.

I will let each of you reader decide who needs the shrink here. All I can say is no wonder nudist are less stressed. Maybe some of you non-nudist should try to conger up the courage to give it a try, after all it is a lot cheaper than a shrink and most people I know that have tried it, came back wondering why they waited 40 or 50 years to do so!

Great work Nathan!

16. Stephen Russell says:

Best Story for Nude Rec, using simple plain Economics.
    Nice.
    Now to use story to Sell the Public on Nude Rec IE American public vs Europublic.

17. Larry says:

Great article for showing that nudism is not just playing volley ball and hanging on around and nudist resort. (Not that I think those two activities are bad) For nudism to be taken serious society needs to see the total benefits and practices of nudism. I work around the house and yard nude as often as I can. Home choirs are more enjoyable when done nude. As for being an exhibitionnist 95% of my nudism is done solo. (Not that I am shy, but I don’t have many opportunities)To be a nudist you don’t have to see or be seen naked if that is your choice. For me being nude is enjoying the body God gave me the way He originally intended humans to live.

18. Mike Brown says:

I agree entirely, why wear clothes when it only hinders one and except for protection from hazards. I want to see a society where nudity is the norm and clothing is the exception!

19. I entirely agree with this article. The nudity taboo is destructive and divisive. Bison and Water Buffalo sound like obviously blatant prudes. Nudism is not exhibitionism. Nudists are less materialistic than textiles. If everyone were happier naked, the world will be a much better place to live. There would be almost no more crime, violence, and censorship. Possibly next decade, the nudity taboo will be abolished.

I was raised in a textile household, but I am an advocate of nudism. My parents’ religion Jehovah’s Witnesses is strongly against nudism, so that is one reason why I rejected that religion. Religions that oppose nudity were deceived by the Puritan and Victorian values system, which are deceptive and destructive. The nudity taboo must be discarded from Christianity. Christianity actually supports nudism. Parents should raise their children with the same attitudes as nudists, not with the Puritan attitudes.

I posted a thread about nudism on the message board I run.

20. troubled says:

why nudist is everywhere? is it really so nice? I think that is a culture boom, so many nudist sites like nudistconnect, mushroomed. but, what is disadvange? Once i saw a tean girl showed her nacked photos on that site. why? is it something wrong? is it going too far?

21. Alodi says:

This was a very well written article bringing some of the ‘provable’ benefits of the nudist lifestyle into a printed form. There are just as many, if not more, benefits that are ‘unprovable’. One of these is the acceptance of your own body.

Many people seem to think that nudism is all about seeing or being seen. These are the ones who admittedly have never tried it for themselves. I enjoy being out in the woods in the nude. There is nothing to leave you feeling closer to nature than to feel the pine scented breeze blowing across your bare skin on a summer day. We are all natural creatures, no matter how many times some people deny it, and to be able to be aware of this is a true joy. It has nothing to do with the presence or lack of, of other people. There have been many times that I have spent an entire day nude in the woods, roaming the mountains, and not seen another human being the entire day.

All I can say is that the prudish attitude of some people is a large part of what is wrong with our society today, and is a large portion of what the rest is based upon.

22. Nik says:

Although I have never been to a nudist place, I would like to try it. I try to be nude at home as much as possible because I feel the most free and I am most comfortable in that state. I spend nights lounging nude with my wife, and we do it without having sex. Nudity does not mean sex is to follow.

My feeling on biblical issues is that god created us the way he wanted us. Adam and Eve ate the apple, and decided that god created them wrong, and informed him of such. If I were god, I wonder if I would I be more angry with them eating the apple, or telling me I had created them wrong when I had made them just the way I wanted. I feel that being nude praises god, and thanks him for the creation he has given me. Perhaps we should all attend church nude. Perhaps that is the way to reconcile the sin of eating the apple. ‘Yes god, I am nude, and I accept it, I praise your creation, and I am as you wanted me. Thank you.’

Nik

23. Carol says:

Nudists believe that the naked human body ought to be accepted, respected, nurtured and enjoyed. Many of them enjoy sports and other

24. All Nudist says:

Isn’t it funny that those same folks who have the worst things to say about social nudity know absolutely nothing about it, but cruise the web looking for places that deal with the subject? You’d think that they would never get past the ‘nudist’ photo sites; their right hand would be too tired to keep surfing…

25. Paul says:

For what it’s worth, I’ve suffered for years with heat rash on my back, chest, stomach and rear. A few years ago I found out that if I tanned a bit, the heat rash would disappear. Since then, I’ll lay out for an hour several times a week totally nude and what do you know? No more rash!! If that makes me an exhibitionist, so be it. .I just like the fact that my skin has cleared up after 60 years. While I don’t classify myself as a nudist, I would like to spend some time in a nudist resort or nude beach.

26. Shirley Gauthier says:

As a long time nudist and member of http://www.aanr.com for decades I agree that nudists save money.

I travel by air and always travel with carry on only saving the fees that airlines charge for checked bags.

Nudist Ralph mentions “studies” in his post. I wish he would have included his resource information in his posting. While I value nudism I have never read anything about children being raised as nudists being more intelligent. I have never read about any studies concerning children raised in a nudist home and would value the resouce information.

Shirley in Oregon

27. Nathan Powers says:

Shirley,

Many of the studies that Ralph mentioned can be found through the footnotes of an article titled “205 Arguments and Observations In Support of Naturism” (Found here: http://www.naturistsociety.com/resources/PDF/205ARGUE.pdf).

28. Shirley Gauthier says:

Nathan,

Thanks so much for posting the resource info. I really appreciate it.

29. Mike Brown says:

Just found this courtesy of a link posted on saving advice and couldn’t agree more, it gives us maligned nudists the justification for leaving off those rags of shame!
    Forwarded to Tiscali forums!

30. ajo says:

Great piece Nathan; thank you for sharing. I strongly disagree with those who think living a naturist Way of life is akin to exhibitionism. We see what we want to see and we hear what we want to hear.

All those kids caught up in the “sexting” scandal in Pennsylvania would be better off not with the sort of counseling that will admonish them DON’T DO THAT DIRTY STUFF but rather some classes and first hand experience on body acceptance.

If God had wanted us to be clothed he would have made it so we’d be born that way. Did God make a mistake?

Gardyloo, ajo

31. Joe Hoffman says:

I discovered nudism at JD MacArthur Park on Singer Island on Florida’s east coast in my early 20’s (I am now 57). I admit that I was imagining scores of beautiful naked women lined up on the beach. However, that was not the case. Fortunately for me the park at that time was frequented by middle aged Europeans and their families vacationing there and as I walked the shoreline I realized that this beach seen was no different than any other along the coast. People of all shapes and sizes and ages playing Frisbee, surf fishing, walking their dogs, swimming and body surfing. I was greeted by “good morning” and “hello” from most everyone. It was refreshing to be associated which such casual nudist on my first experience. Ladies if you are tired of “gawkers” when you go to the beach then try a nude beach. Nothing left to the human imagination and the mind becomes bored and drifts elsewhere, the gawking ends. America’s hypocrisy towards the naked body is laughable. On the surface social pressure requires that we be “aghast” at seeing nudity, but yet the media floods us all daily with titillating sexuality at every turn. Just the thought of glimpsing a taboo body part keeps us glued to the event. Sports Illustrated bikini edition with the see thru bikini

32. Nathan Powers says:

Joe, I agree with you completely. In fact, I am knocking myself over the head for not coming to the realization about training up our children properly in time. Unfortunately, although we have always been open about our bodies around our house, our children were already being influenced by our clothing-compulsive culture before I realized what was actually happening.

Also, I do not think that Al Gore would be much interested in pushing a naturist agenda, even though it can be shown to be VERY environmentally friendly. There is simply no money in encouraging people to use LESS of something. Perhaps he could profit if they came up with “cotton credits”. (big smile).

33. Shirley says:

As a long time nudist and dues paying member of the American Association for Nude Recreation I would like to add a few savings. Airlines are now charging for checked bagage and I never pay. I save a ton of time not checking my bags and waiting for them at the end of my trip. Of course I travel with clothes but nothing more than will fit under the seat in front of me. Saving time and money…:)

Shirley Gauthier

34. Stephen says:

Prostitution is on the increase at nudist campa I have paid several women for sex there protect our children!!! It’s for adults not young girls to see such examples of ladies selling ass

35. Pingback: Sex on the Beach, For Profit? « All Nudist

36. Tina and Steve Wallace says:

As we understand Steve’s comment ( not easy!), he asserts that prostitution is on the increase in nudist venues whilst admitting to paying prostitutes to accompany him to nudist venues!
    Perhaps we shouldn’t be surprised that he fails to spot the irony in that statement.
    Might we suggest to Steve that, if he is concerned about the welfare of children, he and his like confine their activities to the alleyways, whorehouses, and sex clubs where they belong and stop infesting nudist sites. Maybe then we’ll all be a little more comfortable.

37. Josephine Shaffer says:

I say it reasonable to say nudity nothing to be ashamed of i do clean up around my apartment i always strip naked before i start it’s not only how how you look naked it’s how you feel being naked, and i say that’s totally cool i can look at my naked body, and tell that i’m totally comfortable beleive me i got nothiong to hide at all period that’s my story, want to share this to the whole world.