How to Use the Better Business Bureau

In today’s climate of big business and automated customer service, nearly everyone has at least one story to tell about getting nowhere when complaining to a company about its products, services, or practices. Just like person-to-person relationships, person-to-company relationships have much potential for miscommunication, mistrust, and misunderstanding.

So what do you do when you have a problem with a company that you just can’t seem to resolve? If the dispute is over a relatively small amount, it probably isn’t worth the cost of hiring a lawyer or the time spent badgering the company’s customer service. But sometimes, the issue hits a nerve, and you might want to

This entry was posted in Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to How to Use the Better Business Bureau

1. lou says:

The BBB is a joke. The companies against which we, the consumers, are filing complaints, are the sames ones supporting the BB financially. I find this, and have been a victim of, this huge conflict of interest. Everyone should be careful of using this as the only alternative for “small claims”.

2. poundwise says:

I have only filed one complaint through the BBB and it was resolved. I had dealt directly with the problem company that owed me money for nearly a year. I have no doubt that the BBB is the reason why I finally got my money. You have to make sure that you deal with the company the best you can, and document all of that, then take your complaint to the right BBB office with concise but still detailed wording of the problem. I’m sure it doesn’t always help but the BBB got me my money so you won’t hear me say anything but good things about them.

3. Craig says:

Great article. I have had nothing but positive experiences with my local BBB. I think the most important statement you made was to beware of companies with complaints against them. I use the BBB to investigate companies before I do business with them.

4. Alanna says:

Thanks for touting the BBB’s services! Great Article!

5. Teri says:

we filed a complaint once with the BBB and I can’t remember if it resolved anything – the company was very snotty. Most companies though will value their reputation and it was a good wake up call to us to remember to check the BBB before doing business with any company. Could have probably prevented our situation if we just had looked them up and decided not to do business with them in the first place.

6. Clinton Rushing says:

I have never used bb.org, and I have something I thank they can help me with, where do i go to to comlpant? need a email.

7. Jack Payne says:

Although the BBB does perform a great informational service, the one drawback seems to be its endless database, accessible by anyone wishing to hold a club over a company’s head. By putting together a list of complaints they can use this as leverage to get what they want.

8. Tara says:

I have been dealing with this company that is a memeber of the B.B.B. My husband did a job for them and they are very slow in payment (2 mths Later!) Do i have a complaint? Should i turn them in?

9. david says:

this site is a scam it frauds people out of there earnings just like the rest of the gpt sites.this should not be allowed

10. JK says:

I just filed a complaint through the BBB and the company i complaint about sent me an email saying “Unfortunately, your interpretation is not accurate and the BBB will end up siding with us”
    Did i just waste my time?

11. pfadvice says:

Not if you believe you are correct.

12. Paul says:

Like a few of the people that have commented here, I use the BBB to check up on prospective customers and suppliers before doing business with them. I have read quite a few articles on other sites however claiming that Google has now superseded the BBB.

13. Fred says:

I agree the BBB is a joke. You have to be a member which is costly to be a member. That’s how they make their money. They really don’t care if claims are resolved or not. As long as the company responds, that is considered satisfactory. I would not pay to be in their database, but they will still file complaints even if you are not a member. DON’T USE THE BBB!!!

14. Tom h. says:

Just used bbb. Did nothing, they are paid by the companies!!! Useless scam!

15. maureen mcdonald says:

I just finished generating a complaint to the BBB regarding a breach of contract issue. I am asking for the amount I paid to the company a settlement. Either way- I win. Money, or a formal complaint filed.. I don’t care.

The BBB is wonderful, and offers mediation at no cost to you which is priceless. There are too many haters on here who think everything should be taken care of completely.

NOT!