Photo Essay – 25 Money Confessions

A few months ago I started to collect money confessions from audience members from talks that I had given. At the end of the talk, I asked people to anonymously write down a money confession that they had not told anyone up to that point. I found the wide variety of confessions both interesting and moving and felt it was worth sharing them with others. The following is a compilation of the first 25 money confessions that I have listed:

Broken Piggy Bank
“I took all of my children’s savings to help pay for my face-lift”

park bench
“I lost my job 3 weeks ago and I still haven’t told my wife.”

money & happiness
“I don’t believe people that say money can’t make you happy.”

judging by the clothes you wear

[Continue Reading at]

This entry was posted in Personal Finance. Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Photo Essay – 25 Money Confessions

1. Amber says:

Wow, I have to say that I have heard some of these comments/statements but the one that I am most familar with is “I am the Joneses.

2. Cassie says:

This is a wonderful photo essay.

3. Pingback: Carnival of Personal Finance #112: Best Week Ever Edition | The Frugal Law Student

4. Pingback: Carnival of Personal Finance » Carnival of Personal Finance #112

5. Pingback: 112th Carnival of Personal Finance: Best Week Ever!

6. Pingback: 112th Carnival of Personal Finance is Up -

7. Matt says:

Wow. Great idea for a post! It was insightful, funny and visually pleasing all at the same time. Great work!

8. I love it. Creative, fun, and so right on. (I’m the millionaire with the well-worn pair of jeans…)

9. Pingback: Poorer Than You » Carnival of Personal Finance #122 is up!

10. Pingback: Cowboy Caleb – Photo Essay - 25 Money Confessions

11. CitizenX says:

(This goes out to anyone who has had to drop off a well-loved pet at the pound.)

Rest assured.
    We adopted your dog and later two other dogs. He/She stays indoors with us and is NEVER chained up outside. He/She has a large fenced-in yard for exploring and still loves to eat ice cubes and play with our children.

He/She is the best dog we ever had and we just wanted to THANK YOU!

12. CitizenXFan says:

CitizenX, you’re a marvel. The world needs more people like you.

Anyone who takes on a pet, should take it on for life. If you need to sell your car to pay for your dog’s food, sell your damn car. It’s your reponsibility.

13. Pingback: Stupid things people do with money « The Kewl Doodz ‘n’ Chyx

14. guinness416 says:

Karma’s gonna get the last guy in the worst way. And he’ll deserve it.

15. Barnstable says:

Non-tipper dude better never eat in the same place twice, or he be gettin’ some extra protein in his meal.

16. Rolando Garza says:

I dunno… I’m a sales rep and I basically do the same thing as a waiter; you have to know the products, your attitude and service is what probably will land a purchase order.

A job is a job is a job… and you are paid to do it well.

17. beanspants1 says:

I love the idea, and most of the secrets are as heartfelt as they come, but I’m getting really tired of the “woe as me millionaire” that seems to have become common in the past few years.

There are only around 2 million people in the US ‘with more than 1 million in the bank’, so eff off crybaby.

18. Christopher Smith says:

This is the best post I’ve read in a long time.

19. Pingback: Learning From Others : Finance Community Round Up | The Happy Rock

20. Natalie Tucker says:

wow! great post!

21. kitap says:

I have to say that I have heard some of these comments/statements but this is s a wonderful photo essay:)

22. Moon says:

I eat at fast food places because I hate to tip.

23. Pingback: 25 Money Confessions - Football Forum - NFL, CFL & College Football Forums

24. Pingback: Photo Essay - 25 More Money Confessions - Blog

25. wow says:

wow, the dog one was so sad.

26. marie says:

i like these. these secrets are something that people feel bad about. i think this collection is a kind of support group for them.

i would like to offer thanks to all the positive/ kind commenters. you cheered me up!

27. Pingback: Weird Daily » Blog Archive » 25 Money Confessions

28. sophia says:

aren’t some of these from post secret?

29. pfadvice says:

aren’t some of these from post secret?

No. As you can see, all the images are photos (see at the bottom for credit) and not postcards.

30. Gerri says:

What a collection! Love the pictures you chose to illustrate these.

31. pigart says:

those shits happened because Capitalism IS evil and brutal.

32. Pingback: UYlog | My Blogging Experience » How to make money online

33. WEli says:

How stupid of ypu to leave your dog in the pound. He probobably got killed.

34. Pingback: After all, real estate investing is all about money… « RSS

35. indir says:

36. shauna says:

so sad poor puppy

37. Amy says:

This is wonderful!! Thank you for sharing, Jeff.