23 Pieces of Advice that College Graduates Don’t Want to Hear

graduation caps

You’ve finally done it — earned that coveted diploma. You’re feeling a bit cocky. Your parents are wondering why they had to pay for your expensive education when you already knew everything.

Now it’s time to enter The Real World, the place that you have talked about for years as if it were a planet in a distant galaxy. There are definitely things you need to know about life in your new reality. Some of it may sound vaguely familiar and ho-hum. Or it may be written in the foreign language of that planet. But one thing’s for sure: you don’t want to hear about any of it. Here are 23 pieces of valuable advice, in no particular order. Ignore them at yo

This entry was posted in Budgeting, Cars, Credit Cards, Debt, Education, Insurance, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Work. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to 23 Pieces of Advice that College Graduates Don’t Want to Hear

1. Stein says:

Good article, I agree with everything but #3. I use a debit card to travel 2-4 times a month and the difficulty is vastly overrated.

2. About Student Credit Cards says:

Great job of hiting on points many graduates should know as they leave the college life into the “real world”

3. disneysteve says:

GREAT ARTICLE! This one is a keeper.

As for #3, I totally agree. I know a girl who has no credit and just tried to get a cell phone. They wanted a $500 security deposit from her!! Needless to say, no cell phone for her until she establishes credit.

4. Nick in Iraq says:

Not a bad list. I wish somebody would have told me about a few of these! I’m still paying for the stupid things I did after graduating from college.

Best of luck to any new grads who read this list…

5. Fern says:

And among the most important, be patient. Meaning that unless you’re brilliant, get a large inheritance or invent the next cool gadget, you’re going to have to work your way the old-fashioned way, through hard work. Don’t expect instant gratification. Dont’ take shortcuts. It’s possible to do well in life and still live a life that’s ethical, responsible and kind to animals.

6. Amber Yount says:

Great list! I’m getting ready to graduate in the spring, bt unfortunately ive already learned most of these tips the hard way.

7. sir jorge says:

I liked this list. I just graduated in march, and well…it’s been crappy.

8. ~Dawn says:

These would be good for High School Graduates- the sooner the better!

Just make it a pamphlet small enough to fit in the graduation card!

9. Steve says:

Well written. Point #7 is a great one. Although living with your parents saves you money, time and effort that you can use for other things… it doesn’t teach independence/self reliance which is just as important as one’s finances.

10. liz says:

i think this list is common sense and applies not just to college grads, but to anyone reading the list….

this list also kind of sounds like a mom wagging her finger…. i don’t know anyone who is older who actually abides by all of these items all of the time. i think before a lot of young college grads listen to this advice, they’ll probably have to make a few mistakes along the way.

i figure mistakes aren’t that bad to make, so long as you can correct them and recover from them. i think that is more what life is about than sticking to a list that someone else made for you.

i mean come on, if you were 20 or 21 and read this list, would you have paid attention to any of it? probably not.

11. Mike says:

Great advice! Except #23. Is that supposed to be a joke or is sleeping with your boss a common problem? I thought only happened in the movies. Then again I’m a straight man and my boss is a man so its not an issue.

12. Pingback: Hot Topics « Personal finance for the rising stars

13. Mike says:

Don’t sleep with your boss? Really.. Thats the worst advice you could ever give people. Times are tough, you should do what you have to do to get a leg up on the competition. As a man if you have a female boss and you’re lucky enough to get her in bed then why not? Just don’t go bragging about it, and make sure you take pictures, they may come in handy. If your a woman then it’s actually in your best interest to sleep with your male boss for two reasons. (1) cause you can, (2) cause you can. Just as I said earlier, don’t brag about it and take pictures. For you guys that have a guy boss, offer to by him drinks, slip him a roofy, get him naked with you, and take pictures. It just that simple. For a woman with a woman boss this works just as well however to avoid killing your boss, split the roofy in half if they weigh less then 120lbs. I made this mistake one too many times.