What Do Fathers Want? (Your Advice)

There is nothing worse than having a holiday deadline coming up and not knowing what to get for it. That is the question this young woman has about Father’s Day:

I have a question that I hope you can help me out with. I noticed that yesterday a person wrote to ask about what gifts are appropriate to give. With Father’s Day just a few days away, I have no idea what to get my dad. Does anyone have a good idea of what a father wants from his daughter on Father’s Day?

Any fathers and others out there that would like to express their opinion on what fathers want for Father’s Day to help this young reader out?

This entry was posted in Holidays, Relationships. Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to What Do Fathers Want? (Your Advice)

1. KCLau says:

It is simple: Do something for your father that you had not previously done before.

Sound simple. The hard part is figuring out what you haven’t done for him. If you treat him well every day in your life, you probably will have the hardest time to figure it out.

2. Jen says:

What about a photo album including copies of photos from your youth and/or your current family, his grandkids, etc.

3. Spokane Al says:

As a father I agree with both Jen and KCLau. I don’t need nor want any more stuff. We have a houseful of too much stuff.

I like a call or a visit from my son, some great conversation and a nice card. Some time together at a movie or over a coffee is terrific.

Keep the Home Depot stuff – if I want or need it I will buy it myself.

4. Dave says:

I’m right there with the first 3. I’m a stay-at-home dad who spends his entire day cleaning up the ‘treasures’ in the house. Don’t go near a store for me for fathers day. Spend some time with me, or take me somewhere to just relax and enjoy my family – just don’t make more work for me, or give me something else to take care of (especially a tie!).

This father’s day, we’re going to a minor league baseball game with my parents, and another family who’s parents live out of town, and have kids the same age as ours. They have a father – child baseball clinic before the game, and prizes for the dads. Total cost for everyone: $31.50; total worth: priceless.

5. Dave says:

Oh yeah, one more idea – help me with a project around the house that I haven’t been able to finish in a while because I want to care for my family.

6. I’m not a dad, but I’ve had one for a long time, this year I’m giving him his Favorite Edibles!! equals a treat & nothing to dust!

7. Kricket says:

Thanks for the great gift ideas, I love these ideas people have shared: photo album,special food, interview your father – to post on blog! It made me think also… if you interview Dad, you could make a video of the interview or little book using lulu.com

I also like to give an easy online gift like a subscription to an emagazine or to http://www.audible.com- where you can download books to listen to.

A few websites that have tips for father’s day gifts are Mambo Sprouts Health E-News- June Edition http://www.mambosprouts.com/enewsletter/hen/june07/
    or
    for Dad’s who like ‘earth friendly gifts’ Tree Hugger has great article here: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/06/fathers_day_gif.php