Why It’s Worth Paying More For A Bed & Breakfast

B&B

I recently stayed in a bed and breakfast for the first time. I was a little worried about the experience ahead of time because of all the negative stereotypes about bed and breakfasts I had heard in the past such as having horribly tacky decor and forced socialization with bizarre strangers (Gilmore Girls, anyone?). A little to my surprise, I ended up finding it to be a wonderful experience. Maybe it was just beginner’s luck, but I found that bed and breakfasts, despite sometimes being more expensive, can be a much better value than hotels. Here are some of the positives I found that I felt make them a better value.

Insider information

When you stay at a bed and breakfast, you get

This entry was posted in Personal Finance, Travel and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Why It’s Worth Paying More For A Bed & Breakfast

1. Jen says:

Wonderful advice! We actually *saved money* by staying at a B&B when we were in Rome, Italy in March (check my blog’s travel tag for posts). I concur with all your points, and would also add that the other travelers at our B&B were Americans, which was nice to come home to in a city full of people who rarely speak English. As for the local advice, we also found that the recommendations we received gave us a truer Roman experience, vs. a “touristy” one.

2. Lib4 says:

We just stayed at a B and B for the first time up in upstate NY and I whole heartedly agree with you. The room was huge, the beds were super comfortable, breakfast was delicious, the setting was in the mountians (Saugerties) there was a creek adjacent to the property where we sat with our feet in the water, the staff was superb and it only cost $140/nite….We travel ALOT and we usually spend about $70 (bare bones minimum) to $250 (hotel room in Manhattan) for rooms and the B and B was by far the best room we have ever stayed in. The breakfast was worth $10-$12 per person so the room really only cost a little over $110. Here is the room we stayed in at this highly recommended B and B if you are ever in upstate NY.

August Room at Albergo Allegria

3. Innkeeper says:

I am so pleased that you did not let hollywierd sway your attempt at staying at a Bed & Breakfast! We are all so varied, some new some old, some even with young innkeepers who do not keep garden midgets in their yards!

I have to say – typically B&B’s are 5 rooms or less, larger than that they are considered an “INN.” So on that note with reference to “STAFF” WE ARE IT! We bought the home, we renovated the home, we landscape the home, grind your beans every morning, we are the ones ironing your pillowcases each night.

Havign just stayed at a hotel this past weekend, where the stale pastry was the highlight of the meal – I cannot agree with you more – – at B&B’s we never forget the second B! Breakfast will be bountiful and satisfying. Coffee will be good – we won’t let you out to search for a fiveBucks for coffee…

Come and see us in Blue Ridge Country – http://www.ClaiborneHouse.net

Where you can throw a rock in any direction and hit a musician…this is where our country began.

4. As an innkeeper, I thank the author for an accurate accounting of the real B & B experience. I will tell you that innkeepers take things to heart – they may have books filled with wonderful comments from happy guests, but that one guest that they were unable to satisfy – for whatever reason, no matter how hard they tried to please – will bother for a long time. We do not say goodbye and forget our guests – why many have become family friends over the years.
    I am proud to say that we have had many “first-timers” who leave as converts. My 3 guestroom B & B is in a very small city (2250) and near a rail-trail. We make every attempt to cater to our guests dietary needs and food dislikes as well as their schedules – breakfast is between 4 AM and 10 AM. As 1 of almost 100 members of the MountainState Association of Bed & Breakfasts in West Virginia, I hope you will visit our State and experience the hospitality of our B & Bs, Country Inns, and Guest Houses. You will find all of us at http://www.wvbnbs.com.

5. A non Mouse says:

This was a great post, I will take it to heart for my upcoming anniversary.

6. Thank you for ‘taking a chance’ on a B&B!

You’ve done a great job of highlighting the things many first time B&B-goers worry about and then allaying their fears.

Yes, the breakfasts are great, the rooms are clean, the innkeepers know their town and you DO meet other guests from around the world.

For the most part, where I live, a B&B is your best bet for value. You get a comfy room, an inspired breakfast and hosts who truly care that you have a good stay.

(Today I ran out to the local chocolate factory to buy a sweet gift for a couple of newlyweds who called from the road. They pulled in 5 minutes after I got home and never knew we had ‘run out’ to get them a fun reminder of their honeymoon. It’s all part of the deal at a B&B!)

7. baselle says:

I enjoyed my stay at a B&B in Forks, WA. Another point is that pretty much any little interesting town has a B&B, while hotels often have to think about traffic and location. If you travel off the beaten path, a B&B can be a lifesaver!

8. A Tentative Personal Finance Blog says:

Does anyone know any websites I can find information on B&Bs in the midwest? I want to plan a one year anniversary thing for my wife by September.

9. Innkeeper says:

He wrote: “Does anyone know any websites I can find information on B&Bs in the midwest?”

YES! Two ideas – first google the town or region and add bed breakfast into it, or use a multiple directory, ie http://www.bbonline.com or http://www.bedandbreakfast.com these have maps of regions, states and how far a B&B is located from the next B&B etc.

If they have a nice website then you know they pay attention to detail. If they have a cruddy website, then skip to the next one. You should be able to get a feel for the B&B right off the bat from the website. So if you use a multiple directory to locate them – click thry that to their website and book from there. Many have advertised specials.

The author of this article mentioned Trip Advisor – that is a good place to see what some other guests wrote, but do not take it 100%, as ANYONE can write anything.

All the best in your journey!

10. bnbtraveler says:

This is a good article that points out the highlights of most B&Bs. And there’s more! Many B&Bs also offer free WiFi, complimentary snacks & refreshments, great attention to detail in amenities (such as high quality bath soaps/shampoo), travel items if you’ve forgotten something, and concierge services, just like hotels. And you might not necessarily pay more for all that, it could be considerably less than the local hotel. All with the comfort of individually decorated rooms and lovely common areas and grounds. The only time we stay in a hotel anymore is if we just need a place to stay on the Interstate.

11. Chloe says:

Don’t forget that when you call a bed and breakfast, chances are you are talking to the owner. If you are booking mid week, are planning to stay several days or are calling at the last minute, we will often give you a good deal. I own Big Mill Bed and Breakfast in eastern North Carolina, and I once had a guest who stayed ten months! He really got a good deal. Come see us at http://www.BigMill.com

12. Susan says:

It is nice to hear so many people finding B&B’s and Inns as a great alternative to the larger more inpersonal chains. I have owned my Inn for 8 years, which we lived in as a family before that. We have renovated, painted and put in all new bathrooms throughout our historic home. We know that our amenities far exceed that of our fellow local Inns and B&B’s, but I think that it is also one of the reasons that we have such a high return rate with our guests. We do not nickle and dime our guests. If ever in Rochester, NY – look us up at http://www.edwardharrishouse.com