Should We Buy A House Next To A Cemetery? (Your Advice)

Your Advice - help answer readers' questionsWhen purchasing a house, there are a lot of considerations to take into account before making the purchase. This reader writes wondering if their dream house is ruined by a single (but major) fault.

We have been looking for a new house for about six months now. We finally found what I would consider to be our dream house in every aspect except for one problem. The house is located right next to a cemetery.

This does not bother me or my husband in the least bit, but I have heard from other people that it is considered an “incurable defect” that may make it very hard to sell in the future. Because we consider it to be our dream house, we have no thoughts of selling, but I also

This entry was posted in Housing. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Should We Buy A House Next To A Cemetery? (Your Advice)

1. Koppur says:

YES, I would tell you to buyt the house. My best friend lives next to a cemetary and she loves it (but not for creepy reasons.) She says it is always fairly quiet as her neighbors on one side aren’t active. It’s a nice place to look a with the landscaping and flowers. She takes strolls through there. When she was looking to buy the house, she was concerned too. But it turns out that having a cemetary next door will not necessaily make the value of the house go down. More people than not like the idea of living next to something so peaceful. She says it certaily beats living next door to a house with kids, dogs, and screaming couples. Good uck!

2. I’d expect the price to be somewhat lower than comparable houses in more “desireable” locations. But the rate of appreciation should be the same as for other houses in the area, so in the long term they would do OK as long as they didn’t overpay at the start (same as for any other real estate purchase). They might have a problem if they ever had to get a quick sale as the pool of potential buyers may be smaller, so in a “fire sale” the mark-down may be more severe. But this also applies to other houses that have an aspect that puts off some potential buyers, such as being next to a school, on a busy road, too isolated, too crowded etc. etc.

3. nancy says:

I don’t know about others, but that would totally freak me out. There is no way that I would ever buy a house next to a cemetery no matter how much I liked it.

4. Rob says:

Any hit to the price should be constant, meaning you should be able to benefit from it (by being able to buy the house at a lower price) just as much as you would be hurt by it in the future. My sister lived near a graveyard in college, and the only problem she ever had was that their was a lot of crime in the graveyard at night. As long as it is well kept this shouldn’t be a problem though.

5. savvy says:

I would much rather live next to a cemetery than an airport, school, or a busy street. It would even be preferable to an empty field, since you never know when a field would get developed. I say go for it.

6. sir jorge says:

cemeteries are indeed quiet, and usually well kept.

I say go for it.

7. Barb says:

Buy it, I live next to a cemetary and it is very quite and a nice green space.

8. IMHO, if you have to ask, then it’s the wrong location.

9. Fooz Barz says:

“IMHO, if you have to ask, then it’s the wrong location.”

Why is that? It sounds like the original letter writer is just researching and exploring possible future consequences of a major purchase – perfectly normal. I didn’t get the impression that anything about the house or its location was bothersome to her or her husband.

10. I guess what I meant was that there are a bazillion properties out there, many many of which are not located next to cemetaries, highways, or hog rendering plants. So I guess what I meant to say was, if you have to wonder if you’re buying an iffy property in an iffy location…..

The person did say the house was great except “for one problem.” So that’s what I was getting at.

11. dan says:

I don’t see why this would be a big issue, especially if you can get a good discount going into the deal. I would recommend looking into the history of the house – not that I believe in haunting, but if it has a reputation of such, that could make it extrememly difficult to sell.

12. fern says:

I see no reason why a cemetery would devalue a property. In fact, in personally would consider it a big plus becus you’d know your neighbors would be quiet!

13. Enoch says:

We just looked at a house for sale that has a back yard against a cemetary. It didnt bother me, and the house was at a discount, but it bothers my wife. The house even happens to be close to public transportation and good in many other ways. We won’t be buying it though. Is there any concern about the soil quality or effect to your yard living next to a cemetary?

14. Gail says:

Different people have different ideas. My grandad used to be a park keeper and for years lived with his family in the cemetery house/office.
    After seeing our local area go down hill with anti social behaviour, we have just bought the cemetery house to renovate and live in. It’s a one off listed building and I tell you I can’t wait to be surrounded by lovely green space thats so peaceful and quiet.

15. Natalie says:

I am a housewife with 5 kids, and we have to get out of our 2 bdrm apt. The only affordable house we found is a 2 family on a 80*100 lot with an inground pool and 4 car garage behind a cemetery. I will look at it tomorrow. im still nervous.

16. Lyn Clarke says:

We lived across the street from a cemetary when I was in high school. We had the prettiest yard because of all the bulbs we found in the compost pile. We did not have vandals at night –maybe because the cemetary was small and cars could be seen from the road. My only concern would be if you would be blocked in during a funeral. I would make it my business to be sitting there to see where people park and if the house’s driveway is blocked. Other than that, go for it.

17. Ann says:

I’d buy it. I love cemetaries. Look at it as a historical site, one that isn’t ever in danger of being razed.

18. jimbo jones says:

I would be concerned about traffic into and out of the cemetary during funerals. Also, possibly ghosts.

19. Bob says:

I live in a house next to the cemetary I wouldn’t advise it. Maybe you should check out my film ‘the house next to the cemetary’ it was very tramaumatic for me i’ll have to go and hide as i can not talk about it any longer

20. Savannah says:

Research effects of ground water which may effect drinking water, showering, and pets, etc. from arsenic containment in cemetary.

21. Tom says:

I have lived in five houses, two of which have been by cemeteries. The two by the cemeteries have been the worst times of my life. Definitely bad energy. They may be quiet, green, well-kept, and even “not creepy”, but there is still bad energy there… avoid it.

22. lucky says:

we have a plot of area near cemetry(i.e., 1oo mts awy from it) facing south………… do we construct house there withouth any consequences and any effects in future?

23. Bonita says:

I moved from a big city to the country with the father of my youngest child and he happenes to live right next to a cemmetery, though from the outside of his house you can not see the cemmetery but as you walk some yards forward than we`re able to see it just by turning our heads, it has always creeped me out specally at night when we`re back from somewhere, so I just try to ignore it…I been here three years and I still won`t go outside by myself at night and if I do – I try to rush back inside quick! Quiet gives me the creeps!!!

24. Abhi says:

I will definately not get a house near cementry, people saying its ok to buy the house will not come to your rescue if something hoorible goes wrong.

25. Me says:

I think depends on culture. In western, ppl say cementery s historic, but in ASEAN it’s horror n bad energy..:)) but I’m about to buy a house close to cementery too. That’s I can afford n I’m Christian, I dont believe those things. My spirit inside my heart is bigger than all outside spirits :)) n water s came from pipe.no connections with anything there. Lands s more fertile. N I loves the stones art on cementery.
    From wall st new york

26. george says:

The smell of a freshly-dug grave is OK, but when it rains you will notice that the smell of the graves is more pungent, it will penetrate your house, your skin…, you might not notice it because you’ll get used to it, but your guests will though they won’t tell you…

27. Joseph says:

I have recently relocated in a new appartment, which happens to be next to a graveyard. To be honest with you, when we came myself and my wife for viewing, the land lord was so good at showing us things like the garden and all the beautiful stuffs such that I never noticed the huge graveyard next door. And, believe me He never, even once, mentioned it. it is only the day we moved in that we realised that we were moving in a cementery.
    We have been there for a month or so, and we haven’t come across anything major as such. But once again, it goes down to culture and belief. I am a black african myself, and quite frankly, I think that I have been cheated into this deal. I have refused to sign the lease and am planning to move out as soon as I get something else. I just don’t like the idea of having the window of my bedroom looking to the graveyard. I don’t like it, period.

28. Sylvia says:

I visited a friend living right next to the biggest cemetery in a big city a few years ago. The cemetery is huge! The house is the last one on the dead end street and the only divider between cemetery and house is a chain link fence.
    The house itself had some old world charms, but it was so creepy. You could see the graveyard pretty much from every window of the house. Most of the houses on that dead end street were either empty or became junk yard. For the whole weekend, I saw 2 people max on that street after sun down. Not sure if they were up to something. It creeps me out every time I think about it. I told my friend it was a nice house, but I never ever visited that house again.

29. Kirti says:

I am ins similar position and liked a house near a cemetery. I don’t really know the disadvantages in the uk. In my home country although its considered not good but I am not really able to make my mind. I’d appreciate if someone could list down disadvantages in London?