Cingular Charges $705 For $218.26 Phone Bill (Your Advice)

Your Advice - help answer readers' questionsThis question actually comes for the forums from a member that wants to know how a phone bill all of a sudden jumped dramatically in price when they threatened to switch phone companies:

My mom wanted to get a family plan for me and her at Cingular Wireless. Well my mom pays on the bill good for a while, then she stops paying on it and it was cut off in late march 2007. The phone was cut off in April 2007. We received a bill on April 15, 2007-it wasn’t opened until I opened it on May 13, 2007- saying the bill was $218.26 and said they going to send her to the collection agency and put it on her credit report (I forget the term they used, I think it was “default”) unless she

This entry was posted in X Files. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Cingular Charges $705 For $218.26 Phone Bill (Your Advice)

1. Danilo says:

You should definitely dispute the bill. I’ve dealt with cingular in a similar situation before and found them to be very disingenous, or at best negligent of what their workers do and say. I filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), although this body has no real authority, Cingular is a large enough company that they don’t want to be blemished by this organization. Also, file a complaint with your local Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Unit, and perhaps the Federal Trade Comission. If you believe your situation is unfair make a big deal about it, or else they will just try to railroad you!

2. Pingback: $705 for phone bill?? Please help - Personal Finance Forums

3. jake says:

Heres an idea… pay your bill on time and forgot about the idea that the company ‘owes’ you something. You are more neglegent then the company. I’m sick of people crying about companies that ‘took advantage of them’ just because they didnt get their way or are mad because a not-for profit company made money on them….. Hello ?

4. Bill Clasko says:

Jake wrote:
    eres an idea… pay your bill on time and forgot about the idea that the company ‘owes’ you something. You are more neglegent then the company. I’m sick of people crying about companies that ‘took advantage of them’ just because they didnt get their way or are mad because a not-for profit company made money on them….. Hello ?”

From his attitude, Jake or his mother must work for one of these companies who believe THEY are doing YOU the consumer a favor by taking your money. We used to call guys like him “The Company Man/Boy, now Company Robot”, “Apple Polisher”, Lickem’, “Brown Noser”, of my favorite, “FLUNKIE”. I’ve had a female acquaintance who’s been doing collections for almost 20 years. It’s infected her personality. She’s an Old Maid at age 49…Even her 70 year old formerly desperate boyfriend dumped her.

My point?. Punkish comments like his remind me WHY I fight everyday to get what I paid for consumer-wise. Not any more than due. Certainly NOT less! I too worked in banks for a total of 13 years way back in the 70′s and 80′s. Customer wrath was the only thing that kept them in line.There were pencil pushers like him, never did an honest days work in their life, always trying to screw someone out of more money. Like one ole’ Depression Era gent once told me Banks (in particular) can make paper ‘lie’…His generation remembers how the banks hurt millions in the Great Depression and kept their eye on how HIS money was handled.

We need the same philosophy in every transaction whether with a bank or not.

Remember the ole’ saying. “The Customer is ALWAYS right!”. AND beat it into the head of any company that tries to “give you the BIZNESS”.

5. Jack Payne says:

The Cingular example is one of simple “piling.”

How about the New Jersey housewife who fell into the 809 (Caribbean) call-back trap, and got a phone bill for #12,400? Now that’s serious con man activity.

–Jack Payne

6. Ray says:

Hi there,
    I think you should gather your cell phone records as evidence and sue them for over charging you as a customer. Good Luck!

Ray
    ——–
    Information on how to obtain your Telephone & Cell Phone Records at http://www.fonerecords.com

7. If you were charged on your cell phone bill for ringtones or other
    mobile content that you never authorized or ordered, you might want to get in touch with some class action attorneys who are investigating unauthorized cell phone charges: