10 Alternatives to Expensive “Cheap

save on souvenirsBy Shannon Christman, special to pfadvice

Summer vacation is often a time to splurge, but it doesn’t have to be a time of splurges you’ll regret. If you want to avoid coming home with a suitcase full of t-shirts you’ll never wear or seashell creatures that don’t fit your décor, consider these ten ideas for inexpensive souvenirs:

1. Bring along a camera, sketchbook, or journal to document your trip: Flip through the images or read your journal entries whenever you want a reminder of the great time you had.

2. Collect brochures from all the places you visit: If you stay in one area for more than a few days, buy a local road map. Keep these papers in a file or use t

This entry was posted in Holidays, Saving Money, Shopping, Travel. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to 10 Alternatives to Expensive “Cheap

1. Michele says:

I like to buy groceries as souvenirs. Like… maple syrup from Quebec, Mozart chocolates from Salzburg, dry roasted grasshoppers from Oaxaca ;-)

2. green says:

In vacations i usually buy specific things for that location. For example i visited Afyon last summer and Afyon’s delight was the best around. I purchased a pack :)

3. RANDY says:

I really liked your idea about buy postcards – jotting down thoughts for the day and mailing them to myself seemed like a great idea – I believe that’s the one I’ll try this summer.

4. aviator says:

All fantactic ideas with the exception of #7, beachcombing. The beach in front of our house has been decimated by shell collectors who strip the beach of just about eveything (except trash, which we wish they WOULD pick up).

So many of our beaches are being destroyed by carelessness (dune buggies, trash and overdevelopment). I’d like to encourage your readers to enjoy the beaches but please leave things where they found them.

5. Viola says:

I used to spend hours trying to find the right thing to bring home for my children. As I travel so much more now I decided not to buy anything unless it is there right in front of me. Sometimes that means not buying anything and other times I just have something for one of my children and they got used to it. Most of the time I come home empty handed. I like travelling light.

6. scfr says:

On vacation trips, I buy a Christmas ornament that is special to the area I am visiting. Ornaments do break or wear out, so I never have too many. And I love taking a trip down memory lane, re-visiting each location in my mind, as I decorate my tree.

7. Siobhan says:

I definately favor #10 — I’m a heavy tea drinker, using 2 or 3 different mugs per day, so my souvenir of choice is a mug from wherever I visited. It’s not the MOST practical space-wise since I have so many, but I certainly get use out of them!