How To Reuse Items In Your Garden Rather Than Throwing Them Into The Trash

frugal gardening

Earth Day isn’t just a day in April to frugal gardeners. No matter what month it is, we’re always on the look out for ways to tread lightly in our little corner of the world.

Here is a short list of some of the items which many people throw away that I reuse in some way while I am gardening. By no means is this a complete listing, but it is a good starting point to get your creative juices flowing:

Plastic knives: I love these. I’ve always been a terribly lazy gardener and in the past I never marked the plants and seeds when I’ve stuck them in the ground. I have this problem no more. With my permanent marker and a handful of plastic knives, I’ve got plant

This entry was posted in X Files. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to How To Reuse Items In Your Garden Rather Than Throwing Them Into The Trash

1. James says:

If you are living a state that recycles pop cans you shoudn’t forget that if you take the cans back to the store you can get a deposit.

2. green says:

Nice Article, i have many unused things at my home, i even cant use one of the rooms cus its full of items

3. contrary1 says:

James: We do recycle our cans, although we don’t have pop often here. I had to “save up” some for my latest big pots I planted this spring. I used to use the packing peanuts at the bottoms of planters, but oh, what a mess when I wanted to re plant. Pop cans are definitely easier.
    green: So, put some of those items to work in your garden!! :) (Be sure you send me a picture of some of your creations)

4. James says:

Hey Contrary1,

I think its great that you even have a garden. My mom in Oregon has one, and its great way to get fresh vegetables without trooping down to the store. We live in DC and there are fewer people with green thumbs here.

Best,

James

5. contrary1 says:

James: I can’t imagine not having a garden. I was raised with 2 garden loving parents, and was surprised when I moved out, that other people bought food at stores. We were pretty self sufficient & I just took it for granted.

6. Becca says:

What great ideas! Thanks for submitting your entry. The plastic knife idea is definitely one I will use.

7. contrary1 says:

Becca: I’ve found I like my knife “markers” better if I print the plant/seed names on the handle portion of the utensil…….. The blade up version was a little odd looking to me! :)

8. Stephanie says:

I love the seed starter idea! My kids would love to make their own little greenhouse with those!

9. Pingback: Joyful Gardener

10. Vicky harper says:

[] Personal Finance Advice has a great post on How To Reuse Items In Your Garden Rather Than Throwing Them Into The Trash.[]

11. Alekos says:

Nice!

12. Regina says:

wonderful article, just wanted to add that I too have found that plastic food trays make wonderful little greenhouses. Just remember to poke some holes in the bottom for drainage. Also egg cartons make great seed starters as do paper roll tubes, plus once the plants emerge from the seeds these can be planted right into the garden.

13. E ileen Wilson says:

Fantastic ways to reuse junk. The plastic knives tip is great and I will use that one for sure. Yes, I want some free plants!