5 Ways To Minimize Your Workout Costs

gym membership

The only time in my life that I ever found it both easy and inexpensive to exercise is when I was studying abroad during my last semester of college. My minimal course load left me with plenty of time to do everything I wanted, including working out. I also had someone else covering most of my expenses, so I purchased a more expensive gym membership than I might have been willing to finance had it been my own hard-earned money.

Now that I work full-time and need to save lots of money for real-life adult expenses, I’ve had to find ways to minimize the time, expense, and hassle involved in working out. If you’ve found yourself with the same dilemma, here is an analysis of differen

This entry was posted in Health, Saving Money. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to 5 Ways To Minimize Your Workout Costs

1. Teri says:

Freecycle and Craigslist is a great resource for gym equipment as well.

I know most of the frugies don’t have cable, but Denise Austin does a light work out in the mornings on Lifetime. It is a great little quick easy workout that whips my butt into shape – I have some saved on my TIVO for the winter months when I can’t get outside. Exercise videos are good as well, can pick them up cheap used. I generally do videos in the rainy/dark weather and when daylight savings hit I am happy to get my butt outside. ;)

I love the gym but less time and money for it these days, but there are lots of alternatives.

2. Dave says:

If you’re up for the challenge, you can always opt for joining your local volunteer fire department. They either have equipment on site, or they arrange to give their members access at a local fitness center. You not only get in shape, but you help your community as well!

3. Tim says:

often overlooked, is take the stairs instead of elevators; walk to the store rather than drive; walk a lap around the office, etc.

cheap things like jump ropes, etc are great. weekends, go to the park and do some walking, jogging, frolicking, etc. join a activities group, it is fun and gets you in shape. the problem with working out, is people get bored with it. if you are having fun, you don’t realize that you are working out.

people always use the excuse they do not have the time, which is really a bad excuse.

4. crankywench says:

I work out at home, with a swiss ball and variety of dumbbells, along with calisthenics. If you like working out this way, one way to stave off boredom is to go to your local library and peruse the fitness magazines. Many of them will offer work-out sequences. Photo-copy the ones that interest you, and save them in a folder. When your routine starts to feel stale, pull out a new one from the folder.

5. Cindy says:

The only thing I’ve ever been able to stick to faithfully is walking. I’ve joined health clubs over the years then don’t go cause I hate the crowded atmosphere, their music, sweaty equipment, etc. I’ve had equipment at home and got rid of it because I’d get bored to tears. Then I got older and quit worrying about trying to appeal to the opposite sex, ha-ha. Now I thoroughly enjoy just getting out there most days rain or shine for a 50- or so minute walk. I’m in a great location near hills if I want to walk there or just the neighborhood, and I never get bored with it. You can find time if you mean business and God knows it’s always more interesting to me than TV. I’ve got exercise/yoga videos I’ve picked up for next to nothing and occasionally will do one. I’ve got a bike but seldom use that. Again, though, the walk is my choice.

6. Canadian says:

If you can’t go outside, try exercise videos. Much cheaper than the gym!