Home Inspection – Do Your Really Need One?

home inspectionll

The first time a realtor explained the home inspection process to me, I thought, “What a load of crap! I can test the dishwasher and make sure all the outlets work myself! Why would I pay someone else $450 to do those things?” If you, like me, aren’t sure why you’d want to pay someone else to inspect your home before your purchase it, read on.

It’s true that the purpose of a home inspection is only to inspect the quality, safety, and overall condition of things that are readily visible — that is, components of a home that don’t involve dismantling anything or opening up walls and ceilings. While this may sound like something anyone with a good e

This entry was posted in Housing. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Home Inspection – Do Your Really Need One?

1. William says:

Don’t think of not having a home inspection done. I purchased a house with a home inspection. I thought everything was fine. Because of a job change I needed to sell 18 months later. The buyers used Criterium Engineers who found multiple problems that my previous home inspection did not find. Don’t use just eny home inspection outfit.

2. Matthew Jabs says:

I’m in the process of purchasing my second home (and selling my first). My new home is brand new, so I am going through the home with the builder to do a “spot check”. This is where i point out anything needing to be fixed and then report it to the builder. The builder then fixes anything before I take up occupancy.

I am not getting a home inspection done, but I am getting a radon test done. In Michigan, we have full basements in most homes and radon is a common problem. If found the builder will also have to install a radon ventilation system prior to occupancy.

Don’t worry, I’m going to go through the home with painter’s tape and mark every problem BEFORE I go through with the builder. I want to be prepared, not discovering things as they’re there with me! I will go through it with some buddies of mine who work in home construction.

What’s your advice. Do you think I need a home inspection? Personally, I don’t think so.

Thank you.

3. Matthew Jabs says:

I do however see what you’re saying about brand new homes still having problems, and also do acknowledge your point about friends helping with sensitive circumstances such as these.

I will rethink this and possibly read that guide and maybe even take the course you mentioned.

I’ll keep you posted.

4. Debbie says:

I’ve heard that even after you buy a house it’s a good idea to get it inspected occasionally. Inspectors can notice problems before they get out of control and give you time to make plans. And they are not biased to sell you services because they don’t actually fix things themselves.

I once decided I would get my house inspected every five years, but it’s been eleven years and I still haven’t done it! I do think it’s an excellent idea, though.

(The same is true for cars–I like to bring my car in for an “annual physical.” If I didn’t trust my mechanic I’d probably use a Lemon-Busters type service once every few years.)

5. Pingback: Ann O’Connell Wins Bronze | 3 Oceans -- The San Francisco Bay Area Real Estate Blog

6. Pingback: RE Agent in CT » I Win The Carnival Eh

7. Julia M. Wei says:

This is a really comprehensive article! I also find that home inspection reports are riddled with innocuous language like, “not uncommon for a home of this age and in this region.” Well, what exactly does that mean?

8. Lisa says:

I believe this is more of a question…. I purchased an existing 23 yr old home in Round Rock, Texas two weeks ago. Since then, I have had a plumber come out twice to snake the plumbing. This morning I was informed that my PVC pipe on my property needs to replaced for $2000.00. At the same time the plumber was nice enough to look at the toilets and found that the toilet was not put onto the floor properly as wellas not sealed properly. Hence the two bathroom floods in two weeks.

lease help… is there a Lemon Busters for homes??? Or do I need to start onwe in Austin / Round Rock Texas?

Thanks

9. Lori says:

What do you do if you had a home inspection and after 2 months later you start to find major water damage and leaks? The floor beam under the bathroom is rotten,and the floor is damaged, the roof is leaking in the garage and in the attic. There is an interior wall soaked. I have requested the inspector come back to look at the problems and the inspector offers to give me back my money.

10. greenday says:

@Lori

The inspector should not only refund your money, but also pay for the repairs. It is his job to find those problems and if he missed them, it is his responsibility to pay them. If he refuses, take him to small claims court.

11. Cooper says:

Did not like the part about a friend looking at the property, “wouldn’t you rather sue a home inspector than your friend for missing something” Look, lets not go there. We are a sue happy society anyway. The pre conceived notion that “you can sue” is wrong to plant in a buyers mind. Kind of like insurance. If the inspector screws up, you can sue and get it fixed or replaced. This is the wrong approach to inform a client “don’t worry, you can sue if something is missed. Look,there are good inspectors and not so good ones. We all are human and occasionally some things can be overlooked. But on the whole, the one thing you want to make sure of is that the property is a good structure and the roof is in good shape. Overall home management is the responsibility of the purchaser. It is so important to attend and be involved in the inspection. You can pick up good advice and helpful tips on corrective measures. THERE IS NO PERFECT HOME. Use a reliable, well established inspection firm. This will only build confidence is your purchase.

12. Cooper says:

Heading off problems before they raise their ugly heads is always a great idea. Also, a pre list inspection for those contemplating selling their home is a fantastic idea due to the fact that you can get the house ready and have minimal “dings” during the purchase negotiation process.