10 Ways To Get Free Plants For Your Garden

How to get free plantsWhile gardening is one of the largest hobbies in the US, how expensive a hobby it is depends a lot on how you approach it. It can be a quite expensive hobby when you purchase everything retail add up all the costs, but it can also be an extremely frugal hobby for those that put a little extra time and creativity into how they get their gardens started. In fact, it is quite possible to get an entire garden of plants for free — it is a challenge that I succeeded in doing in the past. These are the ten ways that I was able to accomplish growing my garden for free:

Craigslist: Post a Wanted ad on Craigslist, asking for free plants. Most gardeners love to help others out when they have exce

This entry was posted in X Files. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to 10 Ways To Get Free Plants For Your Garden

1. Pingback: Bargain Quest » Cooking Up FoF #63

2. Pingback: Savvy Steward » Festival Of Frugality #63 Up At Stingy Students

3. Hi:

I would like to interview you for a print story.
    Please contact me

Sharonhr@bellsouth.net

4. Pingback: FIRE Finance

5. Pingback: Bohemian Revolution » Blog Archive » Getting free plants

6. CDR says:

Go to the offices of financial advisers, accountants, brokers, etc. late at night, and dig up some of the expensive plants their lawn services provide!

7. lenore clark says:

Mr CDR box #6 – I think that’s called stealing – we are looking for free not a trip to the police station LLC

8. Margie Guyot says:

Maybe we could help organize a “community plant swap” in May. Just hold it from 8 – noon on a Saturday morning. Believe me, all the plants will probably be GONE by 10 AM.

9. nora mcfall says:

i really enjoyed your advise on getting free plants.i had not thought of my local garden stores for free plants they throw away each year.i will be asking from now on.

10. coleen says:

Greenthumbtrader.com is a free plant swapping site you should check out. The group started in CT, but will be expanding very soon. Especially,if we receive reqeuests for new regions, we just add them so you can start a local community going in your area on our site!

11. Christine Reed says:

If you buy tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers or ask a gardener for samples of these or even people who buy these on a regular basis you can get seeds from them and eat the vegetable. So, if you know someone who cooks, ask them not to throw away the seeds. That you would like some. Or maybe they have a potato or onion that got a little old and started to grow itself. An extra pineapple can be grown the same way.

Great story. I am always looking for cheaper ways to do things. I have gotten a lot of free pots for plants from garage sales or almost next to nothing. I got 20 pots for 50 cents and another 20 for 50 cents also. I got three pots for free at two separate garage sales.

12. annie says:

I raise all my food and I do a lot of donation to homeless and to food banks. Is there is any one that wants to give to a good thing please email me