10 Ways To Improve Indoor Air Quality

Bamboo PalmOne of the problems that we have had to solve at our house is the quality of the air during the winter months when the windows are rarely opened. My wife suffers terribly from poor air quality (not to mention the cost of trying to treat the conditions which result from it) so we needed to make some moves to improve the conditions. I’m sure that with winter now in full force that there are many others with their windows shut tight and the air inside their houses and apartments not circulating near as much as it does at other times of the year. Some studies have shown that air quality during the winter months is 1000% worse in homes than during other times of the year. For those seeking

This entry was posted in Housing, Medical, Saving Money. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to 10 Ways To Improve Indoor Air Quality

1. Pingback: Commentary - Improving Indoor Air Quality at Clever Dude

2. Pingback: Health » Blog Archive » Get Sick Less Often: Improve Air Quality Indoors

3. justelise says:

Just as an aside.. allergy sufferers and people with asthma should be careful about having plants in the house. They harbor dust/mites and other critters that can make allergy and asthma symptoms worse.

In particularly dusty homes, vacuuming hardwood floors can also help.

4. ktpupp says:

#3 may not be a good idea in all climates. Up here in Michigan we’ve had temps hovering around 0F lately. When you open the door to come into the house, people in that room can start to see their breath in the time it takes to walk through the door… Leaving a window open when you leave would render the house un-livable pretty quickly.

5. Victoria says:

Fantastic article.. I use a ton of plants and notice a HUGE difference.. the more plants the better.

more oxygen means more brain power

6. Ivan Minic says:

Taking off shoes… hm.. well… hm…

7. Jarno says:

Nice one. Although all of these (should) come out of common sense. Living in Finland, I’ve never understood the habit of NOT taking shoes off when indoors. Enough dust and other unwanted particles without dirty shoes to worry about :)

8. Pingback: The Savvy Life » Clear the Air

9. miranda says:

People who are put off by the idea of taking off shoes need not walk around the house barefoot; I don’t wear my shoes in the house, but I do have a designated pair of “house shoes”. Whatever shoes I wear for this purpose will be more than just slippers, but they won’t be worn out of the house. Some people might be happy with Crocs; I’ve worn Speedo pool shoes with a molded support footbed, Lands End suede mules, and other kinds of supportive slip-on shoes.

10. Pingback: InterNeTips » Meningkatkan mutu udara dalam ruang tertutup

11. Pingback: Anonymous

12. Pingback: Digmann.com » Blog Archive » Improve Your Home Air Quality

13. Pingback: Improving indoor air quality - Productive SA

14. Plants says:

Putting a lot of plants in the house isn’t the best idea either. In the day time yes, they give off oxygen, but in the night, they breathe in the oxygen from the air (photosynthesis). If you ever visit East Asia you will see that noone ever brings plants in the house for this reason. They fear being closed up in a room with a lot of plants at night that the plants will take all the oxygen out of the air.

15. Pingback: Plagued by Allergies? 10 Ways to Freshen The Indoor Air « give me nrg

16. Jeremy says:

Good sound advice! Just two comments. When it comes to introducing outside air into a home depending on the climate that you are situated in you can use either an ERV (energy recovery ventilator) or HRV (heat recovery ventilator) or which both basically serve the same purpose of bringing in outside air tempered to the indoor environment while ex-filtrating inside air creating a building that is under a slightly positive pressure but yet maintains good air circulation. An old adage that is still true when it comes to indoor air quality is the solution to pollution is dilution.

The second item is I encourage you not to be in a hurry to run out and buy a higher efficiency air filter and slap it in an existing air-conditioning system. Sadly many air-conditioning systems have duct work that was designed to the minimum standards of acceptable airflow and while they may work well with the inexpensive blue throw away filters they will starve for air with higher efficiency pleated filters. Always consult with a good licensed air-conditioning contractor before restricting the flow of air across your system, or consider placing several portable HEPA cleaners around your home.

I can also recommend one item for your list that is probably one of the most important items for people suffering from allergies to dust mites or mold. Control humidity!

If humidity is To below 55% then neither or mold nor dust mites can grow which immediately reduces two of the major contributors to allergies within a sealed home.

Great article I really loved it!

17. candie says:

You can also clean your airs at home using a air purifying system. I have been suffering from bad allergies for years now and it gets really bad during the spring season. So I try to stay indoors but it does not make any difference, being inside feels like I’m outside with the pollens.

Candie

18. jeff edens says:

IN AN OLDER HOUSE CHANGE OUT THE AIR DUCTS IN THE ATTIC AND REPLACE THE FILTERS WHERE NEEDED. I did this in my house and it is absolutely unbelievable the difference in the air that comes into the living part of my house, the best investment I COULD HAVE MADE, ITS NOT CHEAP BUT A GREAT INVESTMENT IN QUALITY OF LIFE INSIDE.

19. jazlyn says:

well,pets dun dirty ur enviroment or anything like that.unless we cut their hair and dun pick,vacum or sweep them up or we dun clean up their poo or wee when they have finished doing it..all those type of bad things that we should not do.y i know all this stuff??cause i have 4 pets in my house.2 dog,1 bird and 1 hamster..=)

20. Thomas Heaney says:

Refraining from wearing / using fragrances in the workplace is a huge benefit for employees suffering from asthma. Also understanding that sensitivities to chemicals can vary widely among individuals and co-workers is key. It is much better to promote understanding and voluntary compliance than to create a workrule / enforcement dynamic.