The Coupon Lady

save  with grocery couponsWhen I was back in the US, I was at the grocery store one day when I saw this lady walking up and down the aisles filling her cart off here list, but also sticking pieces of paper on products on the selves from time to time. When I went buy, I noticed that she was taping coupons to the appropriate products.

I had to know what was going on, so I interrupted her to ask. She had a very simple answer”

It just seems a waste to throw away the coupons just because I don’t use the product. Someone is going to purchase the product, so they might as well get use of the coupon. I’m already in the store doing my shopping and it takes a second or two to scotch tape the coupon onto the

This entry was posted in Food / Groceries, Saving Money. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to The Coupon Lady

1. Jack says:

Last Friday I was grocery shopping and left two coupons on the shelves. I was wandering around looking for the last item on the list (chicken broth) and finally found it — with a coupon someone left sitting next to it!

2. NBEHTM says:

What a cool idea; sort of a community builder. I look forward to try putting into action. Though I haven’t been fortunate enough to find coupons, perhaps a trend could be started.
    I’ve heard of online groups that also exchange coupons through the mail. For example one party uses Emfamil baby formula and the other Similac. Often $5 and $10 coupons can be had, and all that is lost is the cost of the stamp & envelope to trade. :-D.

3. bluntmoney says:

I do this too, except I just put the coupon on top of the item. (I don’t use tape.) And sometimes I run across coupons others have left too, which is always a pleasant surprise :)

4. vsjhoc says:

Hooray for Random Acts of Kindness!

Sometimes when it’s a buy-one-get-one-free and I have no use for the second item, I give it to the cashier. They are always so grateful.

5. ~Dawn says:

ME Too! I do this as well.

6. Steven says:

That is pretty funny. How long do you look for the product?

7. What a great idea! I never would’ve thought of that myself. In a restaurant, however, I’d be afraid of them throwing me out, or at the very least, them throwing out the coupons. Have you had any experiences like that?

8. I used to work at a grocery store where they would have us tape coupons to products. This wasn’t being done out of goodwill the store made a profit on the coupons.

9. I totally love this idea! I have been on the receiving end a few times, and it hadn’t occured to me to make a conscious effort to do that. I’ll put some tape in my coupon bag!

10. Stephanie says:

I don’t bring tape with me, but I do ditch the coupons on the shelves next to products that I won’t use. I’ve found coupons on the shelves so I know I’m not the only one in my area that does this.