Simple Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Razors

razor saverPlain and simple, razor blades cost a lot of money. While the razor itself doesn’t usually cost all that much (many times they can be found for free), you still end up paying quite a bit to shave because razor companies work a lot like computer printer and ink companies: once you have the razor (printer), you’re locked into buying their razor blades (ink). With blades on the latest and greatest razors costing a few bucks a piece, shaving can get fairly expensive when these costs are added up over the year.

I came across what could be an interesting little device to drastically cut the cost of shaving if it works as it claims (I haven’t tried it yet to to see if it works, bu

This entry was posted in Saving Money. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Simple Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Razors

1. Dido says:

For an even more ecologically sound soltion, check out http://www.gaiam.com/retail/product/15-0947_MSTR. Real Goods sells both razers & toothbrushes whose handles are from recylced plastic. You buy the razers in packs of four, and blade refills 5 at a time, and when one is used up, drop it into the envelope provided and they’ll make sure that the plastic gets recylcled into plastic lumber. Combine this with the solution you’ve suggested and you’ll cut down on environmental impact as well as cost.

2. icycle says:

I once read that one reason razors get dull is from small amounts of corrosion. This is probably the same reason implied by your first bullet point (store it dry). The advice I read then suggested storing the blade/cartridge in some kind of oil (like mineral oil). So I googled and found a bunch of engineers talking about every option under the sun here: http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=53716&page=1

3. Name(required) says:

Hide it from your wife Amen!

4. Pingback: Interesting Interestings for 2007-01-05 » Whatever’s Interesting

5. I found that you can save a lot of money on blades at Ebay.

I tried the oil (or was it alcohol?) as icycle mentioned, but it ate away at the lubricating strip. I need to try this again and make sure it was oil this time.

(I recently brought a toner refill for my printer at Ebay too – saved over $100 of the manufacturer’s price.)

6. Pingback: fivecentnickel.com

7. SCapitalist says:

Another great acticle! I always enjoy your frugal money-saving ideas. All the little things in life do add up!

8. Blaine Moore (First Time Home Owner) says:

My blades tend to last me a few months each; I use one of those mach 3 turbos and just replace the blades with normal mach 3 ones (they fit and are cheaper). For travel, I use one that I got a free sample of, I can’t even tell you the type.

I only have to shave every day and a half or so, though, so my blades don’t have to work too hard.

9. Stephanie says:

I remember reading somewhere that women shouldn’t borrow a guy’s razor, because it’ll be dulled down from shaving such a “dense” surface. I don’t know if telling your wife that will help, but I know I haven’t ever used a guy’s razor since reading it!

10. Benoit says:

Razors are definitely overpriced. I decided a long time ago to not to shave around my chin and to also grow a moustache because it cuts down on 30 percent of the shaving surface. Nice how to be frugal tip :)

11. I have one of these razor savors. We tried it on my husbands razor first and he said he didn’t notice the difference. Then I tried mine, but my razor couldn’t even fit. The handle was too wide so I am really disappointed because I really wanted this to work….or maybe we are doing something wrong. Any advice?

12. Vinny says:

If you go to the Proctor and Gamble website they also say if you dry your razors after use you can use them more.

This tip has saved me a lot of money already.

13. mike says:

a new product coming to market is called StaSharp- Battery powered razor Sharpener.This Patented product will resharpen any cartridge razor 1-5 blades in about 5 seconds-no skills necessary. It utilizes a unique sharpening element that goes from blade to blade and conforms to the blade angle.you can no get over 100 resharpenings from every blade. Product currently being introduced by Infomercial in US.

14. Gloria says:

Mike do you know where I can find this?

15. Kate says:

I actually shave my legs with cheap olive oil. It not only provides a smooth shave, it keeps my shaver lubricated and safe from steam, and it also moisterizes my legs more than other shaving creams, etc. I notice that my shaver lasts longer. The only downside is that I have to clean my tub more often and my pipe gets a little more clogged. Nothing a little baking soda and vinegar can’t handle, though.