The Art Of Getting Bumped Off A Flight

how to get bumpedWhy would anyone want to get bumped of a flight? Because there is money to be made in doing so…By doing a small bit of planning, an hour delay at the airport could be worth several hundred dollars off your next trip.

While many people were watching all the people stranded in the Denver airport before Christmas due to the snowstorm there and feeling sorry for them not being able to make it home, all I could think of was how much money I could be making if I was there. When I was in college, I often planned my plane trips home with the specific purpose of getting bumped at least once and hopefully several times to collect the vouchers that airlines offer those that get bumped. On a day w

This entry was posted in Saving Money, Travel. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to The Art Of Getting Bumped Off A Flight

1. Nobody says:

Hmmm… that is an interesting strategy you have there. Which airlines will this NOT work on?

2. Steve Mertz says:

Jeffrey-You are one sick puppy, wanting to get stuck in Denver for a couple of days ;-) You would have to have some serious patience for this strategy. I’d still rather try your strategy in Maui! Happy New Year

3. This is an excellent idea. The only problem I can see is the carry-on baggage only plan. With any sizable liquids needing to be checked it almost requires everyone I know to check some kind of luggage.

I will definitely have to look into this, though the last time I got a voucher from an airline, it didn’t save me any money vs. the discount airline.

4. Steven L says:

I have got many free tickets on Alaska Airlines using this method. They have usually asked. You should also ask for extra airmile vouchers.

Generally, the airline takes no responsibility for weather and if the plane does not take off you do not get anything.

5. Patrick says:

Ive read about this strategy before (and thus searched for it and came here ;)).

However I never read anything about what chances really are if you figure out when the busiest times are.

If you do figure out when its best to go..how often does it work? more often than not? or does it work 1 in 10 times…?

6. pfadvice says:

If you plan for flights that are typcially full, you can get bumped most of the time, especially if you’re flying single and get there early.

7. Pingback: CantLeaveWellEnoughAlone.com » Blog Archive » how to make money and earn free flights.

8. Mobo Mooninte says:

Domestic only workks, intenrational is more strict and you won’t get full compensation.

9. liquado says:

Great article. Important to note — NEVER take the free flight, always the travel voucher. The free flights are always totally restricted in terms of when they can be used.

10. Pingback: links for 2007-02-03 » Personal Finance - Save Money at Binary Dollar

11. Pingback: Broke-Ass Student » Blog Archive » When Insomnia Strikes ….

12. Pingback: Like Your Work » Blog Archive » links for 2007-02-06

13. Michael says:

The easiest way to find the flights that are overbooked is to ask the carrier when do they have dual ops. Then the fact Friday and Mondays are the travel peak. If you are a fan of Vegas take the last flight of the night to PHX on SAt or SUN. It is a crew positioning flight and at times not even all crew members will make it on. No F/A or pilot is going to give up a seat unless it wouldcreate a trip conflict and then it would need to appear that they missed the flight. Typicallly this means high demand. Airlines typically will not give a capacity quote. American is packed between DFW and TUS during the Gem show and Rodea and nearly impossible year round on fri-tues. PHX BWI is another route that is oversold during summer months. Good Luck and remember if you are denied boarding you get the same compensation as giving up the seat plus a refund. Its in the contract of carriage

14. Pingback: » The Art Of Getting Bumped Off A Flight

15. chris says:

My Girlfriend and I got bumped in Denver this holiday season. The best part is that we were on our way home and had padded the trip with an extra day off of work. We were the only people in line who were happy about it since they gave us each a Round Trip ticket and a free night in Denver. Thank you United airlines.

16. Jo says:

Great information, certainly worth a try.

17. warren says:

I am familiar with this.. One more note to add, While getting there early allows you to volunteer at the counter first, if you check in for your (full) flight minutes before the airlines required check in time, (some are 45 mins, some an hour), sometimes they will bump you “involuntarily”.When they do this, it is because they assume you will miss you flight cuz you are not checked in yet. If this happens to you, the airlines are required to write you a check for double the cost of your flight!! plus put you on the next flight, and often will throw in a voucher as well. This has happend to me before. It happened to my good friend and his girl flying from NY to London. They started their European vacay off with an extra 4 g’s in their pocket! WoooHooo! Good luck