The Only Financial Resolution You Need

2007With the end of the year, my guess is that a lot of personal finance writers are going to be giving you advice on some of the money moves you can make as financial resolutions. The moves will likely be sound and you should seriously consider adopting the suggestions that apply to you if you haven’t already done so. I, on the other hand, will suggest one simple financial resolution to make which will get your finances in order quickly and easily if you can follow through with it:

Ask yourself, “is this a good investment?” for every money related transaction you make

The problem with most people is simply that they don’t take a few minutes to consider what they are spen

This entry was posted in Holidays, Personal Finance. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to The Only Financial Resolution You Need

1. Pingback: » My 2007 Financial Goals

2. Nagel says:

Good advice. Sometimes we make financial decisions without really sitting down and thinking about the consequences.

3. fractalbrothers says:

my problem in this area is gadgets. My brother and I bought a terapin mine (link: http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT7443334424.html) on complete impulse, just because it runs on linux, downloads images from digital cameras, has a tv out, etc.
    we’ve hardly used it.

4. crazyliblady says:

My advice to Fractalbrothers would be to ebay the gadget and spend the cash on something you will use, pay on debt, or save it.

5. kelly says:

This is an interesting way to look at money. I may have to try it. I’ve been reading a book called Women, Get Answers About Your Money by Carolyn Castleberry that has been very helpful as of late. Women of any age, and honestly, even men can benefit from this book. Very practical.

6. Cindy says:

I appreciate your good advice. If I crave a candy bar once in a blue moon, I hit Big Lots and pay 33 cents. If I get the urge to read a recent magazine, I hit the library and get last month’s issue of whatever. (And after reading a sample of whatever I’m always glad that I no longer subscribe to magazines or even a newpaper). And no, I don’t make a special trip to do this silliness, I actually think about piddly stuff when doing other things like cleaning house before running errands and jot things quickly when they pop into my mind. The big thing for me these days is to try to keep a vow to myself not to leave the house to jump in the car unless I truly have to make a trip somewhere. Lord knows I have more than enough to keep me busy right at home, when I’m not working for a living, both inside and outside. I found out that it helps the finances tremendously to “drop out” in the sense that you just don’t even look at the latest ads for anything and you don’t hit the stores unless you truly need something. TV holds no thrills for me, so no cable/satellite, and I don’t miss it, either. I’d toss the cell phone, even, if I didn’t have my mom to worry about. And I thank God I’m getting older and the urge to spend on foolishness is fading slowly but surely.

7. Pingback: Clever Dude » How many hours do I need to work to pay for that?

8. guest says:

It looks really strange.
    Today in the morning, as I was leaving swimming pool going to work, I came up with exactly the same idea. I did not think about it in terms of new year resolutions (as today is 12 of jan already) and did not remember about it until now – coming across it on this blog (I was just browsing at the end of working day).
    Must me one of those coincedents. A bit surreal.