10 Best Self Made Christmas Trees

I received an email from a woman that was depressed that she couldn’t afford a $100 for a Christmas tree at the local tree lot. I remember seeing a number of creative Christmas trees that people had made using only the stuff they happened to have and did a search to give some examples to her. After sending them off, I thought it would also be worthwhile sharing them here in the blog. You don’t need to buy a “typical” Christmas tree to get into the Christmas spirit. Here are 10 Christmasmas trees that aren’t typical, but certainly a lot of fun and show how a bit of creativity can brighten up the holidays no matter where you may be:

#10

Chair Leg Christmas Tree:

This entry was posted in Holidays, Saving Money. Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to 10 Best Self Made Christmas Trees

1. first (in shock) $100 for a fresh Christmas Tree?

ok now, I like the wine bootle christmas tree — someone could also do that out of beer bottles as well.

2. bluntmoney says:

I agree with the ladder tree as number 1. The doughnut tree would be much-loved by our dog.

3. Good grief! to the woman complaining…

Get a short tree, make one from green paper, paint one on the wall..there is no reason to go into debt for a tree.

Find solutions, don’t whine…fix the problem with what you do have.

4. Debbie says:

Thanks for sharing these with us. I just love these.

5. Don says:

In Washington, DC we bought a monstrous 8 ft tree for $45. I understand the use of the anecdote to start the article, but let’s at least make it believable. $100 tree? Try the fire station selling trees as a fundraiser. My parents got one for $15.

6. pfadvice says:

Simply relayed what was sent to me in an email…

7. J. Watson says:

FWIW, I live in a major city, and while you could get a small tree for less, a six-footer could easily be around $100.

ITA about the ladder tree. That is stunning!

8. Pingback: Weird Daily » Blog Archive » 10 Best Self Made Christmas Trees

9. Chris says:

We made our own paper tree a few years ago. No money for a “real” one, two energetic and aggressive cats at home, plus who wants to deal with all those needles falling off? I turned out quite nicely, if I say so myself. Merry Christmas!

10. Absolutely Gorgeous Trees! :) Thanks for this lovely post!

11. Pingback: A Secular Franciscan Life » A Christmas Link Roundup

12. cdill says:

I picked up a really nice tree at Home Despot on 12/23 for ten dollars! Quite fresh and fragrent. They close them out that close to the big day.

I do love that ladder tree and will remember it next year.

13. Rhea says:

a great collection of trees!
    thank goodness for creative people.

14. Brian says:

$100.00 for a Christmas tree? Come on. We bought a lovely Fraiser fur for $50.00. Had we waited until 12/22 we could have bought a Scotch Pine for $3.00 at a local “home improvement” store. A ladder 6 foot ladder there is well over $50.00.

15. nick says:

I like the wine tree it should not be number 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Sma says:

They’re good, but I have a special attachment to my own home-made Christmas tree:

17. Amber says:

Our tree was $140

18. jordan says:

In NYC and anywhere else that matters ;)(not the fly-over states) trees cost that much. Sure in the backwoods where everyone makes 17,000/ year trees will be cheap since you can go into your backyard and cut one down.

19. Pingback: 5150 Royco pushing the buttons » Blog Archive » #5229 - Het einde is nabij

20. jenny vorwaller says:

ohhhh. i love tree no. ten !

21. catnapping says:

LOL, I love the kegger tree. too much.

22. Cindy says:

The pics are great but what a hoot.
    Lord, what a bunch of pagans. Tree worship truly must be in the unregenerated souls of us all. As a bible believer, I now understand the xmass tree has nothing whatsoever to do with Christianity which most folks who claim to be Christians don’t have a clue about. The traditions of men die hard. I have to confess I love the lights, though.

23. Pingback: Naik’s News » Omakase linkdump: Merry Craftsmas

24. Magelyn Balili says:

i like the upside down x-mas tree for it is very unique,uncommon…so fantastic!

25. Doughnut Christmas Tree has to be the one for me but I’m guessing if she doesn’t have the $100 for the tree the donuts are out of the question also which leaves the mountain dew Christmas tree which you can make your money back by charging them for advertising.

26. nfl betting odds says:

Great site! Best wishes!

27. Pingback: 10 Best Self Made Christmas Trees « wszystko co najciekawsze

28. Pingback: Unusual Life » 10 cool Xmas trees

29. What about the Jaegermeister tree??!!

30. Pingback: Daily Links

31. Frank says:

the point of the article was to be creative and work with what ya got. some of these ideas were really unique and practical. the people should be commended and not criticized, some people just want to bitch to hear themselves bitch, even if its at the expense of someone else. remember, its the season to be jolly, ho ho ho and all that crap

32. K Gift says:

They are all great, my favourite is the wine bottles as that’s a lot of fun that must have gone into drinking that.

33. kabuki says:

I have another version of xmas tree on the wall using only nails and wire.Happy
    Xmas to everyone!

34. Sir_Snide says:

Thank GOD I live in a flyover state!

35. natalie says:

i think the tree from the ceiling was to cover up an ugly dining room chandelier.

36. Sonia says:

Where I’m from, people pile up lobster traps in the shapes of trees, and cover them with buoys rather than ornaments. It is surprisingly tree-like, especially since the netting in the traps is usually green.
    I am a big fan of the ladder tree myself, though I have to say the Mountain Dew tree is kind of beautiful…

37. Jo says:

The wine bottle christmas trees seems to interest me.

38. Emily says:

i liked the one in the ceiling, although all of them are very cool..great job and great thinking..

39. Lash says:

I used an old tomato cage, turned on its topside, and extended it to a point using old coat hangers. Then I wrapped it with some artificial spruce garlands (bought for .99 each). You can space them tightly or farther apart, depending on how many you have, or the effect you want. Add mini lights, and whatever decorations you have! I placed mine outdoors, on top of a birdbath (had to drain it to avoid freezing)!

40. marian says:

Cindy judgement of others is a sin such as calling people pagens. WWJD if he saw this post, he might see the good of others trying to help someone not just see people worshiping a tree, btw no one here is worshiping a tree that I see. Where I come from Christianity is about forgiveness, teaching and love, I did not see any of that in your post. For the one who posted about fly over states I am one, I do make quite a bit more income than 17,000/year, and yes I could cut my own tree if I choose too, may I ask what that has to do with this post, people here are showing their creativity and helping others, not to show off how much money they have or what they can buy,oh if you need to know I bought a 400 dollar artificial tree after christmas sale at walmart for 50 dollars if that makes any difference which it doesn’t.. thank you both for showing people how not to respond to a wonderful post, peace out everyone