10 Ways Your Computer Can Help Science For Free

computer monitorI mentioned earlier that turning off your computer can save you a lot of money over the course of a year, but for some people, turning off the computer at night may not be an option. There also may be times during the day that you’ll be away from your computer for an hour or two, but not want to turn it off for that short period of time. If there are times that your computer is on when you aren’t using it, you can use your computer to help solve a number of problems scientific problems instead of letting it waste energy doing nothing at all.

All the following projects have one thing in common. They are doing research which requires an enormous amount of computing power; far more

This entry was posted in X Files. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to 10 Ways Your Computer Can Help Science For Free

1. Matt says:

Here are a couple other distributed computing projects I’ve found:

Protein Folding: http://folding.stanford.edu/

Mersenne Prime Search:

2. Jeff says:

You forgot World Community Grid!:)

-Jeff

3. fractalbrothers says:

well, i’d like to point out that it really isn’t for free. Using the processor to the extent that most of these programs use it does put it to work, sucking extra wattage (sometimes pretty significantly). A dell, which is passively cooled except when the processor gets too hot, will turn the fan on when running some of these programs. That is testimony to the extra power it is consuming. Therefore – it is not really free, although they advertise it as so.
    dont get me wrong – I like these distributed processing programs.. I personally contribute to grid.org.

4. Steven L says:

I peronsally do not like to do this, as it takes a lot of computer power and takes me a little while to turn on and off.

I do however sometimes run a torrent program to download items while I am not on my computer.

5. Just to give some numbers to what Fractalbrothers are saying… See the bottom of The Caltech link. One hundred dollars a year (if the math is correct), seems fairly significant.

6. Fern says:

My apologies in advance for my general lack of knowledge in this area, but i would think the first thing people would think of, and which you haven’t addressed here in this article, is whether participating compromises your ID security in any way.

7. Pingback: Sickles Insight

8. green says:

I have been using SETI project since very long time. I am also a astrotech guy.