15 Places To Give Old Computers New Life

donate computersWhen people get a new computer, often their old computer ends up going to the landfill. That’s a shame because there are a lot of options out there which will keep the computer out of the landfill and bring it new life. This, in turn, can put a few extra dollars back in your pocket by way of sale or with a tax deduction. Even when you don’t get any money in return, you’re doing the right thing by giving your PC new life rather than place it in a landfill.

There are a large number of charities in both the US and Europe that are interested in your old computer. While most of them aren’t interested in computers older than 5 years old, most charities are very interested i

This entry was posted in Education. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to 15 Places To Give Old Computers New Life

1. SCapitalist says:

Great article. This is something many people do not think about when buying a new computer. Computer junk takes up alot of space in the landfill and contains hazardous chemicals. Another great article to highlight a commonly overlooked item.

2. vsjhoc says:

How do you wipe the hard drive clean so that you are not sharing all your old banking data with young Joey? Any other precautions to take?

3. bluprint says:

To clean a hard drive, DBAN (http://dban.sourceforge.net) is a good choice. You will have to burn a cd. But after that just pop it in and follow directions.

4. fractalbrothers says:

one other alternative is playing with linux – most older machines are plenty powerful enough to run linux, and you can have a fully functional, internet ready machine for free. You could install smoothwall linux, put 2 network cards in it, and replace your hardware router. The possibilities are endless.

5. Gillian says:

The School of St Jude in Tanzania is totally supported by sponsors. They are one of the few schools in Tanzania to have a computer lab. They love to receive useful stuff like old computers.

6. TC10284 says:

Great article for me and my old systems. I am wondering though, where can I get rid of some non-working computer related parts such as expansion cards, power supplies, motherboards, old cases, printers, etc.? I would really prefer not to pay to get rid of them. I am in the Triad area of North Carolina.

Thanks!

7. In Canada you can donate used computer and office equipment to reBOOT Canada. It is a registered charity which gives out tax receipts. The computers are refurbished, reloaded, and handed out to charities, non-profit, and educational institutions throughout Canada. 1(866)-747-2668

8. Pingback: » Carnival of the Green # 57

9. Sharon Hain says:

I teach an advanced computer repair course at a high school in the Phoenix metro area. We have an organization in the Phoenix area that helps recycle computer systems. Check out http://www.aztrut.org./ to see our sponsors. My students get computer systems from AZStRUT and refurbish, upgrade, and donate them to schools and non-profit organizations. We gladly accept any computer systems, working or not, as we have a partnership with Westech Recyclers in Phoenix to recycle non-usable systems. So . . . things get donated or recycled correctly.

10. J D says:

I am trying to get some old machine so I can upgrade my home computer, I will either take the donated computers apart and reuse some or all of them, or I will sell them and give you 90% of the profit(money I get minus shipping to buyer). If you are interested please e-mail me at support@jup.ipupdater.com

11. Rogan Creswick says:

If you’re fortunate enough to be in the Portland, OR area, you can take just about anything computer-related to Free Geek. If it’s not working, they charge ~$10 to cover disposal costs, but anything that *does* work can be recycled and donated to people in need.

http://freegeek.org “Helping the needy get nerdy”

12. Ibalan Isyriel says:

Could You please send information on Computer that can be donated in atlanta Georgia.

13. victoria ali says:

I’m searching for an organization that excepts volunteers to repair and rebuild computers. There use to be a place in midtown Atlanta called freebytes that allowed volunteers to offer such services, but we are unable to find them now. Are you aware of any such organizations?

14. Chalo Khosa says:

I’ll like to become part of the team help out in my country and internation community at large.

15. Nkenge says:

Thank u for the much needed info.