Should I Cash These Old Checks?

old checks - should you cash them?I absolutely hate when I do things like this. I had a clean up day and ended up coming across a lot of interesting stuff I had stored for years. While that was fun to see, I also came across a few items that didn’t make me happy. Among all the stuff, I found 5 checks that I must have tucked away and forgotten to cash. All are just under a year old and so I’m left with the question of whether or not to try and cash them.

Two of the checks have “expired” so to speak. They had a 6 month time period they needed to be cashed. One is for $25 and the other for $47. The problem is that the expiration date on a check doesn’t automatically stop it from being processed. Th

This entry was posted in X Files. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Should I Cash These Old Checks?

1. Single Ma says:

How about call the person/business and tell them you’re about to cash their outdated check. If there’s a banking problem, ask them to write you another one. I’d be pretty pissed if you caused me to incur a NSF fee ($30 at my bank) for a itty bitty check I wrote almost a year ago.

2. Ben says:

Often times you can call the issuing bank and ask for check verification. You’ll need to give them the account number on the check and the amount, and they will confirm whether or not there are funds available for the check. I had to do this for my last job with smaller customers to make sure their checks wouldn’t bounce. Also note that most larger banks no longer do this, or require confirmation from the check issuer.
    It usually works like a charm for smaller banks.

3. Debbie says:

I have no experience in this except for gift checks from relatives. In that case I would never cash the check without letting them know first, because they are probably used to the idea that you are not cashing this check.

Businesses are different, of course, but it might still be polite to contact them first as well, explain the situation, and see what they recommend.

If it’s a rebate check, I’ve heard that some companies try to make it as difficult as possible to get rebates, so holding your check too long may be just another thing on their list of things you can screw up and not get the money.

Meanwhile, now is probably a good time to think up a new system for handling checks you get!

4. Dimes says:

I would try and contact the issuer and see if they can reissue the check if you send back the original. I did that once with a reimbursement check that got lost, and it was no big deal.

5. fractalbrothers says:

personal checks, not so bad, because the issuer can re-verify. I hate it when I find checks for rebates that never got cashed.. then there’s pretty much nothing you can do about it.

6. Pat Cary says:

We received a check for work completed on a project and the client made the check out to five companies, intending for all subcontractors to ‘get their money’ too. Is this a ‘good’ check? Our bank said no, but I know I have received checks made out to me as a child and my mother’s name was on it.

7. Anonymous says:

I think checks made to multiple receivers with no ‘or’ qualifier are implied as ‘and’ which means all parties would have to be present at cashing. (Long story short, no you can’t do that) – The client should make the check to the contractor with “project payment in full” in the For section and its the contractors responsibility to pay the subcontractors.

8. WurdBendur says:

Don’t be a dick. My old landlord recently did this to me. He cashed a two-year-old check that he told me he had destroyed because it turned out I didn’t owe him the money, so now I’m down $350 when I need it most. At this moment I can’t pay my current rent because of this.

9. Springbank says:

It doesn’t matter how old the check is you can cash it. If it doesn’t say “Void After X Days” it can be cashed at anytime in the future. It never expires.