Baseball Cards – Money Photo Day 16

1970s 1980s Baseball Cards

I was rummaging around the garage today and found a few boxes of old baseball cards. These are left over from high school and college days. Baseball cards were probably my first introduction into entrepreneurship and helped me leave college debt free.

I think this experience has gone a long way to help me turn multiple hobbies into money making ventures. I haven’t touched them since college and they’re probably worth a fair amount of money (most of my cards are from the 70s ans early 80s before they began to really be massed produced). I think I’ll look into selling them off, maybe keeping a few I know will increase in value and those that have sentimental value.

*This i

This entry was posted in Making Money. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Baseball Cards – Money Photo Day 16

1. fractalbrothers says:

they were my introduction as well, in fact, as a kid collecting baseball cards, I always thought of them as an investment rather than just a collection. Remember to keep those in acid-free pages, but i’m sure you know that already.

2. Maryellen M says:

My husband feels the same way about his collection, however, when he tried sellling some, the amounts offered insulted him, I have since lived with 3/4 of a closet left unusable by his “collection”. Since they do nothing more than collect dust, when he dies, his collection (which he calls my insurance) will make a lovely bonfire. No need to pay someone tell me how much they are worth when in reality I’d be lucky to get even 10% of that amount. I worked for estate lawyers, the owners always thought their collections were great, which I truly believe, but without a buyer thay aren’t even worth the paper thay are printed upon.

3. davis says:

Maryellen – sell them to me for 10% before buring them ;) Like with any collectible, if you take the time to find those that want them, you can make much more than if you try to get rid of them quickly.

4. Pete says:

I also have a few shoeboxes full of cards, mostly from the 1960’s and 1970’s. It is, like Maryellen says, almost impossible to sell them. Nickle and dime sales on on auction site is no way to go, and the sharks, I mean dealers, at the shows are just there to insult you and then offer you some chump change.

Despite all the hype, baseball cards are not worth the cardboard they are printed on

5. pfadvice says:

I disagree. Obviously you aren’t going to make much if you are selling to store owners or online auctions. You can do pretty well if you sell at flea markets – you aren’t going to get full book price, but much better than the two areas you mentioned. You can also sell them at a better price if you hook up with a local collector’s group in your area. There is a difference between selling and unloading them and, yes, selling them will take some time and effort.

6. Pete says:

I’d be interested in strategies for selling cards that are in great condition, for mediocre or no-name players, let’s say from 1975. The collecting books never talk about this. Do I bunch them up, perhaps in bundles of twenty from the same team? Then what do I with my bundles? Approaching local clubs might be a good idea – I’ve never heard of one around here before, but I’ll look.

Maryellen’s point about appraisers is another point that frosts my shorts. All the expert collector’s books and web sites are all too happy to tell you to go an appraiser to get cards or collections valued. Great, another middleman that’s looking for a cut. If I sound negative it’s because I’ve been through a round, a sincere one at that, in trying to sell some premium cards.

7. pfadvice says:

Common cards from the 1970s and before can probably get the best value in trades for more premium cards. There are collectors looking for them and want them badly if they are in superior condition (especially 1975 since they come with colored borders that tend to fade with time – even more so if they happen to be the 1975 minis). Thse collectors are often willing to trade for more sellable cards to geet those prime conditioned commons to complete sets.

The way to come out with a decent price on baseball cards (or any collectible for that matter) is to deal with the collectors and make conections there. If you co to shows or conventions, don’t talk with the sellers and dealers, but with the other collectors there. it takes time to build those connections, but you’ll get a better price and they will go to someone that truly appreciates them (versus someone trying to make a buck).

8. nettevon says:

I’ve never posted before so this may not go through, but think about the kids you know. My boys have really gotten into baseball cards and they love looking at peoples old collections and hearing the stories about them. You may not be able to get big bucks from them, but you may be able to pass on a wholesome pasttime to a kid who will really appreciate it. Something that can keep them out of trouble these days and away from useless pursuits. Just think about a good kid you know.

9. Ron G says:

Keeping on the previous thought, the best bet is to donate your cards to charity. Find a good one that will get them to kids and gives you a receipt. Selling them is useless unless you have many hours over a long period of time. Many collectors are getting disenchanted with the sport and the hobby. Too much supply and not enough demand.