How Not To Invest

**Warning: there is some foul language in this video**

This video is a classic example how not to invest in a business (in this case a roller skating party). While studying the correct ways to invest your money is helpful, it can also be just as helpful to see examples of the incorrect way to start a business and invest in something. This kid obviously thought he had a good idea that would make him some money, but ended up losing $700 (my guess it was even more than that since he probably didn’t calculate the cost of printing and traveling) on an idea that wasn’t thought through at all or well executed.

How many mistakes can you find that he made? What would you have changed to

This entry was posted in Investing. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to How Not To Invest

1. Mike says:

Gotta say that IMHO, that idea was very flawed to begin with. When I was in college, we weren’t interested in dressing up in costumes to go roller skating (of all things!) We wanted to chug beer, hang-out, and maybe if things went well, meet some women. I cannot say that I was surprised that he utterly failed in this endeavor after hearing the initial description.

Mike

2. Steve Torso says:

You have to admire him for trying. very few people succeed first time out. Whatever money he invested, I am sure he will get that back and a lot more in his next ventures.

As to what would be done differently, I would like to the success of the Spring break party scene for an answer.

Steve

3. davis says:

It’s true that few people succeed their first time out, but that doesn’t mean he’ll be a success. If he learns from his mistakes, then he may, but if he continues to set up money earning projects like this, he will not. The problem I see is that he didn’t even do fundamental things to make it a success. I hope this is not true, but it seems to me that he is more likely to be one of those people that runs around trying one MLM program after another rather than becoming a success.

4. david peters says:

I couldn’t tell if it was a joke or not. The idea was so bad that I thought he was joking at first, but then he was paying money for security and all. I hope he learned some lessons from it.

5. Roger says:

It’s all part of the learning experience. I think he made a bad choice of venues, but the idea of throwing a party for college kids is one that can make a lot of money. He needs better planning and a better understanding of what the college kids want.

6. LOOPY says:

That guy was so clueless that I doubt he will ever be a success. This sort of a thing requires planning… and he did not plan.