Differences Cost Money

tall guyI was reading an article the other day stating that the Dutch have become the tallest people in the world. While this may be an intriguing fact to you, you’re probably wondering what the heck this has to do with personal finance? One of the quotes in the article caught my eye:

“Buying clothes and shoes is not a problem anymore. You can always find stores that sell large sizes,” he said. “But it’s not cheap. I don’t get any discounts off the rack.”

I’m tall, but not extraordinarily tall by US standards. I stand 6 feet 3 inches and can find anything I want here, even in the discount racks. I do, however, have experience in the cost of being tall

This entry was posted in Saving Money, Shopping. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Differences Cost Money

1. Gigi says:

Being tall AND skinny doesn’t work well when being normal is shorter and wider. Small shirts are no longer small (retailers are making them larger to make people feel better). It’s frustrating trying to find XS shirt with long enough sleeves or pants in a size 6 with a 34″ inseam. I’m starting to see a broader range of sizes, but not at the bulk retailers such as Walmart and Target.

2. Sam says:

This seems to be the inverse of that other law of finance: Differences in taste create value. But maybe there’s ways to create value even out of these types of differences. Naturally tall and thin? How much do you save on food and exercize equipment compared to people who overeat and then try to work off some of that fat?

3. Gigi says:

Actually, I probably eat more than most people. My metabolism just takes care of it for me. I still have a gym membership but don’t go often.

4. davis says:

Wouldn’t people that overeat to the extreme find themself in the same position. I’m sure those that are too large end up paying more in addition to the costs of dieting or exercise equipment they may purchase.

5. Sylvia Nelson-Campbell says:

This is very true for the overweight! After losing a large amount of weight, I was startled to see what “regular” people were paying for their clothes, compared to what I had had to pay for mine.

6. contrary1 says:

However………these differences give me a group to market my skills to re; alterations. If you lined up all my customers, 90% of them have a unique body shape or type. I love it. Customers for life. The very tall, the very short and every other unique combination of long legs, tiny waists, etc.

But, you’re right. These folks can’t buy things off the rack and feel good wearing them. I customize the items for them and they look & feel much better in their clothes……..but, they are paying twice for the same thing most people take for granted.

7. Frugal Father says:

Differences cost. It could be a medical difference. I have severe respitory problems and it costs, we do spend less in other areas though. It depends on the actual difference I feel.