Free College Textbooks – Freeload Press

college textbooks for freeThis little find comes courtesy of the savviest young one you’re likely to meet. With the cost of college textbooks now costing approximately $900 a year, finding ways to save on them is a top priority for a lot of students. A company called Freeload Press has come up with a innovative way to slash the cost of college textbooks down to $0.00. Before you download the textbook, you fill out a short survey and then advertisements within the textbooks pay for the cost. The publishers still get paid and you get your textbook at no cost.

While the current selection of textbooks is limited, they are hoping to rapidly expand in the next year. It seems to me to be a viable way to distribute col

This entry was posted in Education, Saving Money, Shopping. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Free College Textbooks – Freeload Press

1. Gigi says:

I’ve found the best website for text book buying is: http://www.bestwebbuys.com/books/

They do a nice job of finding and comparing online book sellers. The best thing to do is find the ISBN number of the textbook and search that way.

2. Phil says:

This is an interesting concept. I probably would have tried it while I was in school. It would have saved me significant amounts of cash. The main selling point would be the ease of getting a hardcopy of the book to use. Sometimes you need the text with you in class and do not have access to a computer. Also, I usually cannot read more than a page or two on a computer monitor before I go crazy. I still like paper!

I saw in their FAQ section that they offer some kind of print service, but did not give too many details.

Still – innovative idea. I’m impressed.

3. Retireyoung says:

Sounds like a great idea. The worst thing for me about buying text books at university was when the lecturer never even referred to them and were pretty much useless other than providing some background reading.

They are also out of date by the following year, especially in technology areas.

4. Aydin says:

As a student, I dont really think this is a good idea. I personally rather buy books with no ads on half.com. Although I haven’t seen any textbooks with ads, but I imagine studying a biochemistry textbook with Victoria Secret ads must be very difficult.

5. Mark Montgomery says:

In enjoyed this post, and wrote a similar one myself at http://www.textbookevaluator.com.

From a financial point of view, sites like Freeloader are going to help students. But from an educational point of view, “caveat emptor” is a helpful phrase, even for someone in personal finance. While some books may be fantastic, others should have gone the way of the dodo, rather than to have been dredged up by the wonders of infinite storage space for bits and bytes.

Thanks for staying abreast of the textbook industry!

Mark Montgomery

6. As a recent graduate I think it’s an excellent idea so what if there are advertisements in the book its certainly not going to affect my grades and that’s all that matters.

7. Nishan Subedi says:

This may be great if it works.

8. praveen says:

i was just in need of college books because they are very costly i found this site

9. praveen says:

i just need books to come up in my life.thank you

10. Diane Jenkins says:

I had to return a lot of my books to the college bookstore, got cash back for em. I did keep a few though.

11. Randi Wagner says:

Great site. Thanks. I’m so psyched about seeing True Blod.