Saving Is Degrading – Northwest Airlines

planeFor those of you who have not been watching the news lately, Northwest Airlines handed out a booklet to their employees who were going to be laid off including a section called “101 Ways To Save Money” – the airline employees responded by protesting the list as offensive:

“This is disgraceful that somebody at Northwest Airlines would send this out to a long-term employee facing having no job telling them to do certain things that are very degrading,” Robert Roach Jr., general vice president of transportation for the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, said in an interview.

It seems that people in the forums didn’t find most of

This entry was posted in Budgeting, Education, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Travel. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Saving Is Degrading – Northwest Airlines

1. Phil says:

This whole event has been weird. While I don’t see anything wrong with a company giving advice on saving money, I would like to see them do it with a little smarts. Instructing someone to go hunting in the trash is just plain dumb.

“46. Don’t be shy about pulling something you like out of the trash.”

It speaks to a lack of QA on Northwest’s work. You never simply take what your vendors give you and publish it. You need to do a whole round of acceptance testing. OK, I’ll get off of the soapbox. :)

2. Madame x says:

Saving money shouldn’t be degrading, but if I had just been laid off, I would kind of take this as a slap in the face. I’d probably want to send it to Northwest’s CEO and board and ask them if they were following all these rules so they could take pay cuts and save a few jobs.

3. D says:

Why not instead offer them free head hunter services, additional training, group discounts for needed placement services, free resume preparation, referrals to like positions at other companies, etc.etc.

Bunch of jerks, to big for their britches.

4. guest says:

“94. Buy software at computer fares.”

I love that they can’t even spell FAIR right. Computer FAIR, not FARE.

5. Jason says:

This list is actually not that bad, contains a lot of good tips. You just have to wonder, though, did no one involved in the process ever think of how receiving tips like this that are really unrelated to their job less might be received? It just seems like it should have crossed someone’s mind that this is going to look extremely crass.

6. samerwriter says:

I don’t understand what is wrong with offering a list of common-sense ways to save money. I’m sure it’s one small part of a larger severance package. It’s low-cost for the company, and potentially helpful for the former employee.

7. deepbluesky says:

Lots of great tips, unfortunately they are nothing new. Most of us with common sense know them already. This list is nevertheless an arrogant and insulting way to talk to your future ex-employees. Northwest Airlines, here is my observation : your CEO claims that ,in spite of the impending strike, passengers can book on NW in all confidence, but at the same tine you claim that you will need to liquidate in case of flight attendant strike. My conclusion? Your PR skills realy suck.

8. pisspaws says:

this is just a way of assuaging people they are canning. no tact.

9. Dingobiscuit says:

“1. Set your thermostat to 64 and turn it down to 60 at night.”

Are they crazy??? We set ours 78 during the day and 76 at night. My elecritc bill (Dallas, TX) was high enough even at those levels.

10. Dingobiscuit, NWA is headquartered in Minnesota, and they’re talking about winter thermostat settings.

11. lexi says:

Dingo, I think they are referring to up north, or in the winter. No, you wouldn’t want to set your air conditioner that low, but the heat, I personally (a very cold always bundled up kind of person) would be sweating to death at 78 or 76 degrees in the middle of winter! I do keep my air conditioner set at 75, but in the winter with it that cold outside, it would be such an extreme difference, I couldn’t handle the heat of 75 when I walked inside. In the winter, I do keep it at about 65-68. I have a programmable thermostat, so I dont have to remember to turn it down, etc.

12. mom-from-missouri says:

I like the one that says to bike to work……

13. Pingback: Mighty Bargain Hunter » Group writing project: Preparing for or dealing with job loss

14. Dede says:

Ok, if I got this list, I would wonder why they thought I was going to be looking to buy jewelry when I just got laid off. I loved the Fair spelling also, (Fare).

15. Renay Harris says:

Where did you get this incredibly insensitive list, “Hints from Heloise”? May whoever wrote it, get laid off and do everything on his list!

16. Kim McMillan says:

I loved number 53… bike to work… what work?!….and how about number 62, about child care- won’t be needing that either.