Panning For Gold

I wrote a little while ago about my desire to dig for diamonds and mentioned that I would also like to pan for gold. I convinced my dad to take me to the foothills in California and we decided to try our luck at panning for gold.

I can tell you without reservation that this is not how I would want to make my living. I was sore for the next three days after our adventure. Although we did find a small bit of gold, it was nothing compared to the amount of work we put in.

We started out simply panning for gold. While this wasn’t too strenuous, it also got pretty boring rather quickly when we weren’t finding any gold. We decided to move up to a sluice box. Instead of picking up a cou

This entry was posted in Entertainment. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Panning For Gold

1. SteveL says:

I remember going into my basement and seeing my dads huge gold panning machine. His plan was to do gold panning vacations and pay for the vacation with the gold he found.

Didn’t quite work.

2. ethan says:

Looks like you did great for an hour’s digging! It’s hard work, but can you believe some of us do it for the pure fun of it? I’ll be spending the next two days solid digging, panning and sluicing. Will I get rich? Nope, but I’ll spend two days away from phones, computers, etc. To me that’s priceless.

3. The Critic says:

Just having the ability to walk, talk, see and be outside where one can enjoy the combination of history, nature and a short term education on how it use to be done is surely worth more than money can buy….Priceless

4. Rick Pugh says:

Every time I vacation I combine camping with prospecting. I gives me alot to do during the day. Some of the places I visit are commercial but you meet some great people. But there is not only gold prospecting, there are crystals on Micheal’s Mountain in Arkansas as well as The Crater of Diamonds. There are the ruby mines in the Smokies,Turquoise in New Mexico. I plan a trip to Coffeeville, Alabama for guaranteed finds of sea fossils. We’ll see but it will still be an adventure.

5. FlourGold says:

I have good memories prospecting with my dad, too. Fortunately, we had the opportunity to prospect together for over thirty years. They are some of my most cherished memories.

Thanks for sharing the story. I really hope you have a chance to go again. It really is a great way to find yourself. Plus, while you’re there, you might just find some gold.

6. white phire says:

nobody ever finds very much on their first outing. If it only took you an hour to find that much it seems like you’re in a pretty rich area. You just need some more experience to hone in on the pay streak. California is loaded with gold if you know where to look. Read up on “the new 49′ers” they are a gold panning club that owns a bunch of pretty good claims and all the members have full access.

7. ryan says:

That’s a nice story and pretty typical for most gold panning excursions. I think the amount of effort put into finding a few flecks of gold is rarely worth it financially, but the time spent bonding with friends and family makes it a great hobby.