Additions To Our Family

investing in domain namesOne of the most difficult and frustrating aspects of beginning a blog is finding an audience. Unless you actively seek others to trade links with, comment on ones that are popular and put a lot of effort into promoting what you’re writing, you just aren’t going to get a lot of readers and it’s always a lot more fun to write when there are people at least reading what you are putting down. This is a reason that so many who write end up quiting before the first year is up. So what happens when these are abandoned?

Most are simply left there never to be updated again. There are a few, however, that get deleted by their owners for whatever reason and these then become available to whomever decides to claim them. As I was going through my links last week, I came across two that had been deleted and decided to claim them. This was how The Bored Investor and Our Balance Sheet came into our family. Since these were deleted, all the previous posts were lost and they have to be created again from scratch, but both had traded some links and had been indexed so there will be more people reading them than if one was started brand new.

The third one we added to our family we purchased. The Alpha Guy decided to quit to pursue other interests and Nate and I felt that it was a quality site that would be worth adding to our family and so we purchased it.

The next challenge will be to find some good people to write them (if you think you might be interested, please email us) since I certainly won’t have the time to write each of them, but I think that we will be able to do that. We will be looking to purchase more blogs/websites in the future that will fit into our family from those that have decided no longer to write or to pursue other ventures.

Since all these are already established, both Nate and I feel that there is a good chance that we can make them profitable with a lot less work than if we started them from scratch. The goal will be to get them each making a minimum of $50 a month with minimal effort and treat them as additional satellite sites. They have the potential to make even more than that depending on if we can get good writers and how motivated they are, but we’ll shoot to get them all to make that at a minimum in the next few months.

This entry was posted in Making Money, Website. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Additions To Our Family

1. sean says:

$50 should be an absolute piece o’ cake. The Bored Investor & Our Balance Sheet probably need a little more content to satisfy potential bidders – at least, I’d want a more in place – but just throwing on some Text Link Ads should handily yield you more than that on each of the PR4s, & definitely from the PR5, with almost no effort outside of listing them and putting a few lines of code into their template.

Good pickups, btw – I never even considered looking at deleted blogspot sites…

2. Elena says:

I just wanted you guys to know that since I found your blog, I’ve been reading it on bloglines. Once in a while I click on through. I find your advice helpful and encouraging. I’m just a mom with six kids, lots of debt since my husband became self-employed, but we’re hoping we’re nearing the of the pain and will be seeing some gain shortly! I find lots of your ideas helpful!

3. pfadvice says:

Have you really had decent success with text links ads? I’ve only submitted a few of our sites, but they pay so much less than linkworth does plus take a bigger percentage that I can’t even get myself to try them. I may have to try again and see if their pricing has improved…

4. samh_ says:

These all seem like good purchases. I hope you find the resources to keep them up.

5. sean says:

Have you really had decent success with text links ads? I’ve only submitted a few of our sites, but they pay so much less than linkworth does plus take a bigger percentage that I can’t even get myself to try them. I may have to try again and see if their pricing has improvedů

TLA have worked great for me. I run them on a few sites, and have had nothing but luck getting every slot I’ve offer filled in no time. Sure, the amount per link probably isn’t phenomenal (but then, none of my sites are particularly busy, so they probably aren’t worth a heck of a lot), but it took me all of 5 minutes to figure out how to incorporate into my sites and maybe another 5 to write up my listing. Some links in an empty space on a few of my sites are certainly worth a couple hundred a month, to me anyway.

Linksworth, on the other hand, I haven’t sold a thing on. Either that, or I just can’t figure out what the heck’s going on on their site – they really need a UI guy in there!

6. pfadvice says: