Free (and cheap) Movie Tickets

It’s hot here (107 degrees today) so we decided that we would take the afternoon to see a movie and to stay cool (you have to love the air conditioning in the movie theater on a day like today!) We used our $2 movie tickets we got through a Sunny D campaign which probably ended up saving us money since we didn’t use the air conditioner at all during the hottest part of the day.

When trying to keep within a budget and keep expenses down, entertainment can be an area that gets cut out due to the price. No doubt about it, going to the movies (especially the entire family) can get quite expensive these days. Here are a few ways that you can beat the heat and see your favorite movies for a deep discount (or even free):

Movie tickets are often given away as promotions. We picked up a pair for the new Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest movie tickets with a food/drink purchase campaign at Safeway they were running (Fit perfect with a party we were having, but I believe that has ended). But you still can pick up a free ticket through a Johnnie Walker promotion (you receive the free ticket in the form of a fandango coupon code). Keep your eyes open because there are often movie ticket give-aways around.

As mentioned previously, Sunny D (fruit drink) has a promotion currently going on where you can receive a free movie ticket when you purchase two of their products. They range from $1 to $1.50 each depending where you purchase them, so each ticket comes to $2 – $3 (less if you have Sunny D coupons) and you can get up to 4 per address. The catch is that you need an official order form from Sunny D to get them – I have 5 available – just email me with name and address and I’ll send a form to anyone that would like one)

Even better? Free movies for the whole family. A number of theaters offer free movie promotions during the summer:

• AMC Summer Movie Camp: “AMC Summer MovieCamp invites kids and adults alike to enjoy FREE entertainment and G- and PG-rated Hollywood movies on the big screen every Wednesday morning at participating locations…Tickets are available up to a week in advance at all 125 participating AMC theatre locations, with doors opening at 9:30 a.m.
  • Cinemark Summer Movie Clubhouse: Okay, not exactly free, but certainly cheap – “Beat The Summer Heat. Enjoy 10 shows for $5, or $1 per show at the box office (G and PG movies only).
  • Crown Free Summer Kids Film Festival: “That’s right! This summer Crown Theaters host a free Children’s film festival. You can see the hottest children’s movies from the past year. And parents and chaperones are admitted free too! Students with good grades can also get free tickets (All A-s – 2 free tickets, A’s and B’s – 1 free ticket, all B’s – 1 free medium popcorn)
  • Regal Free Family Film Festival: “ When school’s out, kids around the country come to selected Regal Entertainment Group theatres for our Free Family Film Festival. It’s a fun-filled nine weeks of movies for kids and their parents. Since 1991, Regal has provided this service to the community, and best of all it’s FREE! Selected G & PG movies start at 10AM each Tuesday and Wednesday during the festival. First-come, first-served seating is limited to theatre capacity. Tickets for our 2006 Free Family Film Festival are exclusively available at select theatres’ box-office on the day of the show.

Enjoy and keep cool!

• This entry was posted in Entertainment, Saving Money. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Free (and cheap) Movie Tickets

1. Christopher Meisenzahl says:

Great info, thanks!

2. Andy says:

This is the same topic I was going to post on today. I’ve already taken advantage of the Johnnie Walker offer. I’ll have to do the Sunny D offer as well. I’ve found a couple more ways to get movie tickets for free. One is to sign up at You can earn a free movie ticket (in the form of a Fandango code) every couple of weeks there. You have to watch about 40 trailers and fill out a 3 question survey for each to get a free ticket. May not be worth it for many people.

Another way to get free tickets is by becoming a mystery shopper. Certified Reports is one I have used. Where I live there isn’t always theatre mystery shops available but you would probably have more luck if you live in a major metropolitan area.

3. Stephen says:

There are some other ways to make going to the movie cheaper. Joining the movie clubs for the various theatres. I know AMC and Regal have them, and I’m sure the other chains do as well. By using your card, you get all kinds of deals, from free popcorn and drinks, to free tickets. Also there are free popcorn days and other specials. Also you can buy your ticket online without paying the service fee.

Another thing you can do is buy tickets from Costco. They have reduced price tickets. You can also buy the business rate, where you buy in bulk and it works out to be a significant savings.

4. Celeste says:

Do you have any Sunny D forms left? If so, can you send me two? I know they expire 8/31, but I would like to get in on it and cound not find any forms in the stores I frequent.

5. pfadvice says:

Apologies…had all the ones I had claimed. Good luck in finding some…

6. Deborah says:

The prices of movies has just gotten ridiculous. I took myself, and my two daughters to see “Enchanted” over the holidays. $24.00. Unbelievable, because one of my kids is 3 years old. The prices should at least be based on age. Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you. I never knew that you could actually win or get those things for free. I will try them all. Thanks again.

7. Crytal Hamrick says:

Thanks – I wiould love to get free tickets, we are in the same place as most middle class american families – broke with kids!!

Please send me ways to keep my family entertained during the summer for as cheap as possible – i will also pass on the savings I find!!

Much appreciated –
      Family of five – the hamfam!!

8. Francis says:

Yes i would like official order form if you have one left, i have too Kids 3 year old and a 14 year old and the cost is just crazy getting.