Sad News

GenkiReceived word that our dog died yesterday. It isn’t a surprise as he has been sick for quite awhile now, but that doesn’t make the event any less sad. Like all the other pets we have, he was a stray rescued on the street.

We were heading home one evening from my wife’s parent’s house when we came across a dog wandering in the middle of the street. he had a gash on his hear where it appeared he’d been hit and he was nothing but skin and bones. When I got out of the car to get him out of the street, he didn’t try to run away like most strays would – he simply let me pick him up and carry him to the side of the road. he was too exhausted and weak to do anything else. My wife went to get a carrying cage while I sat with him and we took him home.

We named him Genki which means “spirited and healthy” in Japanese since we weren’t sure he would survive. We slowly nursed him back to health only to learn that he had an advanced case of heartworm that the vets said couldn’t be operated on. We turned to the Internet and skeptically tried some alternative herb medicine since that was our only choice besides letting him die. To our amazement, he recovered.

He had been abused – Genki was the first dog I’d ever come across that didn’t like to be petted. It took a long time before we could pat him on the head without him cowering at the site of our hands.

He was also the quietest dog I have ever seen. he never complained and never barked. In fact, I can count the times he actually barked on both my hands in the 2+ years we had him. The first time I was so surprised, I thought that I was hearing things. Up until that point, I has just assumed he couldn’t bark.

While he was quiet when he was awake, he was a joy to watch when he slept. He would make chirping noises, almost like a bird and he always slept the the very tip of his tongue hanging out – the cutest thing ever. In the end, his legs gave out and he couldn’t walk on his own., but when he sleep he’s move all his legs in full motion and there was no doubt he could still run in his dreams.

For the last 6 months while he couldn’t walk, he stayed by my side all day as I wrote here and worked on the sites. Every time I needed a break from writing, I would turn and he’d be there looking up at me.

One part of me is happy that he is gone – vets in Japan won’t end pets’ lives even when they are in pain and I would never want him to suffer more than he had to. But the other part is sad knowing that when I write and I need to take a break, I will stretch and look over my shoulder and Genki won’t ever be there…

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Sad News

1. Dawn says:

You have my sympathy on your loss. May the memories never fade.

2. Max says:

Very sorry to hear that.

3. Cap says:

I’m sorry for the loss, but I’m glad to hear Genki last years were spent with people that truly cared about him.

4. Jonathan says:

My condolences. It sounds like Genki ended up having a great life.

My dog is on my lap as I type this right now. (Whew, he needs a bath)

My friend’s family dog also died recently. He got a Costco-pack of filet mignon that last week :)

5. Donna says:

So sorry to hear about your dog. Our 13-year-old German Shepherd mix died a few years back. She was the one that the kids grew up with. We got another GS and let them know the new intruder wasn’t a replacement and could never compare, but that I wanted a dog. It’s been 4 years now and she’s become the family dog, but Emma, the girl who passed away, will never, ever be forgotten and will ever remain the main dog ever. Sympathies to you. Smile when you remember Genki!

6. pfadvice says:

Thank you all for the kind comments. Pets really do become one of the family and thier loss is always a sad time. The memories are great and I will continue to hold them

7. Dan says:

I’m 22 and I’ve lost 3 dogs already in my life. it never gets easy. I’m sorry you had to say goodbye to Genki.

8. Michael says:

As the owner of two rescued dogs (and 5 rescued cats), my heart goes out to you- these animals are truly part of the family and gove us unconditional love and affection.

Sounds like Genki was a very lucky dog- and please be happy in the knowledge that Genki lived a wonderful life after you found him.

9. Jason says:

My condolences. I remember some years ago when we had to take my dog to end his suffering it was really sad. Although I knew it was better for him it just wasn’t the same not having him around.

10. Patty says:

A lovely story. You gave him a good ending, a great gift to bestow.

11. SMB says:

I’m so sorry for the loss of your Genki.

12. mary says:

It’s already been said, but at lest Genki had a good life for the last couple of years of his life.

13. Rick Colello says: