Test Read – Daily Financial Challenge

test drive booksOne of the greatest entertainment values around is reading books. There is absolutely nothing wrong with purchasing a book that you’ll read time and again. The problem is that you don’t know how much you’ll use a book until after you have read it for the first time. There’s an easy solution to this dilemma. Before you purchase any book, test read it.

Before you purchase a car, you test drive a number of different models to see which one you like best. Only after test driving and finding the one that is best for you do you purchase it. You can bring a similar concept into play when purchasing books.

Before you buy any book, go to your local library and check it out fir

This entry was posted in Entertainment, Saving Money. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Test Read – Daily Financial Challenge

1. Perky says:

I do that with the kids, If we borrow it half a dozen times I try to get it for the next holiday.

I also do it in reverse, If I have a book I havn’t cracked in years, and don’t want to share wit my kids, I donate it. Less clutter = less cleaning/dusting!

2. Savon says:

I hardly ever read a book more than once. Sometimes I don’t even read them once. Unfortunately most of the books I read aren’t in my local libraries. But, I really should try Interlibrary Loan more often. You can request a book and they’ll borrow it from some other library, somewhere.

3. poundwise says:

Excellent advice. I would also add, when and if a person does decide a book is worth purchasing to own, you can shop online used book sites and places like Half.com to get the book inexpensively.

4. Savon says:

By the way, every once in a while I purge books. But I don’t donate them – I’ve found most libraries just tell me they already have enough books. I sell them to the local bookstore (Powell’s) and make a hunk of cash. They’ll accept about half my books, and pay me 2/3 of their selling price. Maybe $20 for a box of books. Or $50 if they’re technical books, and current.

5. Hana says:

As a retired librarian, I can explain why the libraries don’t always want odnations. But i can also explain why your local lirary might not have that book you want – budget constraints!
    I migth add that in choosign childrens’ books, it doesn’t hrut to consult with the librarian in the children’s room. They can steer you to the books that will appeal to yur child – it’s not 1 size fits all. Take advantage of their expertise.

6. Elaine says:

I wish I could save more money on books. I am only interested in certain kinds of books, and can’t get in the library. I try to get most of them on ebay. However, if I find myself finishing one book without having another one to go to, I’ll go and buy them at regular prices! (not good)

7. Gloria says:

My husband and I have been doing this for years…not to save money but because we love to read and never have money to buy any :)

8. mahanda says:

i love to read, and find almost everything i want to read and listen to at my library. order online, get a e-mail when it is ready at my branch only a few blocks away. i do buy cookbooks and children’s book secondhand (if very cheap), everything else is free—my favorite price.

9. SMB says:

I do this all the time now, but I haven’t always. I’m sure I’ve saved a ton of money since I started.

10. Pingback: Boston Gal's Open Wallet