Second Credit Report – Daily Financial Challenge

free credit report - TransUnionIf you have been following the challenges, then you remember back when we first started you were given the challenge to request your Equifax free credit report and not the other two. I recommended to stagger the three reports in order to receive one report every 4 months. Since each company gathers their information from different sources, all the credit reports will be a bit different, but by staggering them you have a better chance of detecting possible fraud as well as see how certain activities affect your report. Today you should order your TransUnion free credit report.

There are three ways that you can order it:

• Go to AnnualCreditReport.com and order it online
  • Call toll-free 877-322-8228 to order it
  • Request it by regular mail by writing to Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA 30348-5281.

When you request your credit report, you may be asked to provide your name, address, Social Security number and date of birth. In addition, the credit agency may ask you for specific information to confirm your identity as a safety precaution such as the amount of your monthly mortgage payment.

Once you’ve received your report from Trans Union, you should review carefully looking for any errors and any possible fraud. Make sure that all the information contained in the report is accurate and all credit card accounts are familiar. If it shows late payments or other negative information that is incorrect, you’ll want to challenge the incorrect information. It only takes a single incorrect late payment in your credit report to have a significant impact on what you pay in interest rates on your credit cards and other loans. You can get information on how to dispute errors you find from the FTC or the Consumer Union.

It should be noted that if you decide to order your report online, the credit reports must be ordered from the FTC site to get them for free. If you order your credit report directly from the TransUnion website, you’ll be charged a fee for the report. The credit report also won’t include your credit score, the number produced by the credit report agencies that lenders use to measure the likelihood that you’ll repay your debts.

The final free credit report will come from Experian which you should request this coming September.

• This entry was posted in Credit Cards, Personal Finance. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Second Credit Report – Daily Financial Challenge

1. lexi says:

Okay, I have a major problem. Or at least, my first reaction is it is a major problem. I got the TransUnion credit report today and it is showing my last name spelled incorrectly! I inquired about correcting my name and they say that it is reported to them from my creditors that way and to change my name with them. I reviewd all the accounts, they are all accounts I still have, with the exception of an old car loan. My name is and to my knowledge, always has been spelled correctly on those accounts. They say my file has been active since 1989. How do I get this changed???!!!???

2. Savon says:

Lexi, you need to file an official dispute with the credit reporting agency. You can do it on their web site by clicking on Personal Solutions, then Dispute Credit Report. Or, you can call in and say you want to file a dispute. Or, write them a letter and send it certified mail – the most documentable way of filing your dispute, because if they take longer than 30 days to process it, you can take legal action.

3. Gloria says:

Is there any possible way to get a Free Credit Score? My credit report and my husbands look good but we have been turned down for a home loan because of our debt to income ratio (my husband has many student loans). That’s what they told us…but I would love to still see our credit report. Everyone charges for them.

4. lexi says:

I tried to do the dispute on their website yesterday and there is no place to file a dispute about your name, they say that is something that cannot be changed.

5. svevans says:

To obtain your credit score for free…sign up with each of the big 3 (Equifax, Esperian, Transunion) credit manager service. They offer the service free for 30 days. It will include your credit report & credit score. However, be sure to cancel this service before you trial period ends.

6. Jeff says:

Just a follow up to sveans: “Be sure to cancel before the trial period ends.”

This is an understatement! I would add, make sure the credit monitoring service is really canceled.

Both myself and my wife have canceled before the trial and still had our credit cards charged.

If you sign up, watch your credit card statements carefully and look for the amount, not just the company name. Experian’s ConsumerInfo.Com credit monitoring service shows up on your account as CIC Monitoring Services.

Both of us got our money back by calling promptly after we saw the charge on our credit card statements.

Don’t let your “free credit score” turn into $10 to $80 credit monitoring service that you don’t need!

7. KEISHA says:

I WAS WONDERING THE SAME THING LEXI MY FIRST NAME IS MISPELLED AND MY MIDDLE NAME IS TOTALLY WRONG ALSO THE ONLY HAVE MY YEAR OF BIRTH AND MONTH RIGHT BUT NOT THE DATE CAN I DISPUTE THIS I THINK SOMEONE HAS STOLEN MY IDENTITY A JOB THEY SAID I HAD I NEVER WORKED THERE BEFORE.WHAT SHOULD I DO I AM TRYING TO CLEAN UP MY OWN CREDIT I HAVE ALL 3 REPORTS WITH INACCURATE INFO

8. pauley says:

What service can I subscribe to annually as a business to check on customer;s CRs and scores ?

i need it for business ?

9. Pit says:

I think that this way is not so good. It better pay ’em for additional credit report I think.