Pack Your Freezer – Daily Financial Tip

pack your freezer - hear sinking and freezer blockingUnlike your refrigerator, your freezer runs more efficiently when it’s tightly packed. That means if your freezer isn’t completely full, you should place something inside the freezer to fill up the empty space and that is exactly what we’re going to do today.

One way to accomplish this by placing bottles of water in your freezer when it isn’t full. This is referred to as “heat sinking.” When the freezer shuts off, the the frozen bottles will help keep the food frozen. The frozen bottles will also slow down the natural heat transfer between the freezer walls and the food meaning that the freezer doesn’t have to power on again as quickly as if there we

This entry was posted in Food / Groceries, Utilities. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Pack Your Freezer – Daily Financial Tip

1. l bryant says:

This does work well. I would like to add 2 additional comments on this.

1. Use old bleach bottles if you can for freezing the water in. Often times milk and water bottles can split at the seams. The bleach bottles are much sturdier.

2. Also check with some moving and storage facilities. They sell off their old packing blankets very cheaply. If you lose power cover the freezer (except the motor area) with the blanket(s). This will help the freezer to insulate itself from warming conditions outside. When not in use just put the blankets in a box on top of the freezer in order to locate easily.

2. Nick says:

I keep my freezer working efficiently by always making sure it is full of yummy desserts!

3. kraagenskul says:

Jeff writes:

“After you go shopping and need to remove the frozen water bottles from the freezer to make room for food you purchased, you can place them in your refrigerator.”

Well, after I go shopping, the fridge is packed as well. Damn kids eat too much.

4. Maira says:

Thank you for all the good tips. I may have missed it but have you published tips for the best way of getting rid of old cellphones ?.

5. Maira,

Many stores, such as the Body Shop, will hold annual cell phone collection drives. You can start up one yourself. Check out the following link. http://www.shelteralliance.net/cell-phone-donations/index.cfm#

If you collect 20 phones, they’ll pay for shipping. If not, click on the donate less than 20 button. You’ll have to pay for shipping, but they’ll take care of recycling it for you.

6. pfadvice says:

I haven’t, but will put that on my list. If the model is fairly recent, you can sell them on ebay fairly easy and if you don7t want to go through that trouble, you can also get paid for them as well as the above mentioned donation possibility.

7. Everysec says:

Lol, great tip. I never thought of saving money like that. My freezer is generally pretty full most of the time though, I buy a couple of bags of fresh pasta from my local supermarket when it’s on special and just throw them in the freezer. When it’s on special it works out less expensive than dried pasta, cooks quicker and now I guess, saves me electricity too!

8. Pingback: Personal Finance Advice » Blog Archive » Freezer Blocking With $90,000

9. ken chandler says:

I have a new eco energy saving product that can deal with this problem called freezer space invaders. How they work is by putting them in your freezer they invade all the empty spaces in your freezer.

10. Gator says:

I buy a couple of bags of fresh pasta from my local supermarket when it