Use More – Daily Financial Tip

use more and save moneyI mentioned a few tips back to use less (Use Half The Amount) to save money, so the question you’re probably asking yourself is how in the world do you save money by using more? The answer is by using more of what you already have instead of throwing in out.

According to statistics from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, families in the US waste about 10% of their food dollars by purchasing groceries that they never use. This is because the food rots, molds or spoils before it can be used and therefore has to be thrown away. With the average house purchasing approximately 10% of their income in groceries a year, that means that a family that earns $40,000 is throwing about $400 a yea

This entry was posted in Saving Money, Shopping. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Use More – Daily Financial Tip

1. Frugal Momma says:

Good advice! I am a very big meal planner. I usually post my menus on the boards and on my blogs each week.

Every few months I do a pantry challenge to use up some of the stuff in my pantry. I am pretty good at rotating items. But right now I have 44 cans of green beans. I think I need to stop buying them. :)

2. mahanda says:

just found two ver ripe bananas and some due date today vanilla yogurt, there is lunch for me and grandson. some dried out bread and eggs due on the 20th will make a good bread pudding
    thanks for reminding me. i usually do this every other week, but good i looked today. no waste.

3. Eileen Denz says:

I really try to do this, but it’s hard when there’s only two of us and all the food is packaged for 4 or more. For example – parsley. The grocery store only sells it in these HUGE bundles. I think that if you had a family of 4 and used it in every meal that you might, possibly, use it up before it went bad, but with two people it’s impossible.
    I think that part of the issue is that the food companies want you to buy more than you can use before it goes bad b/c that way they get more money – not to mention that it is often cheaper to buy the larger sizes and not use it all than it is to buy smaller sizes!

4. Tanya G says:

Our greatest wastage is from fruit and vege that go off. Now I buy frozen vegies and fruit in natural syrup where possible. Even though it is more expensive to buy there is no waste. Also it means I always have them on hand.
    If I do have any fresh produce when they get too yucky for the kids to touch them I usually juice them. We don’t buy bananas.

5. Gloria says:

Since I hate leftovers more than 1 day old what I try to do is just cook enough so that I never have left overs. That was really hard for me to do when I first got married becuase I came from a big family and then suddenly it was just my husband and I. We waisted so much food then.

6. ThriftyMom says:

Thanks for the tip! I actually started doing this recently because we’re hoping to move within the next few months. So, I’m trying to use up all the extra stuff like that huge container of oatmeal and all those cans of soup!

7. Delicious bread pudding: yeah, but then you have to convince spouse and offspring to eat the bread pudding. We usually make delicious bread crumbs with leftover bread instead (and keep them in the freezer).