Ditch The Bottled Water – Daily Financial Tip

drink tap water instead of bottled water and save moneyAdvertisers have done a wonderful job through media markets to convince that their product is superior to the water that comes out of your faucets. It wasn’t that long ago that bottled water was almost non existent and everyone drank what came out of the tap. Today it seems that most people feel they are putting themselves and their children in some type of danger if they give them tap water.

The truth is that tap water is just as safe as bottled water. According to the Federal Drug Administration (FDA), “Generally, over the years, the FDA has adopted EPA standards for tap water as standards for bottled water. As a result, standards for contaminants in tap water and bottled wate

This entry was posted in Food / Groceries, Saving Money. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Ditch The Bottled Water – Daily Financial Tip

1. 2million says:

I use a Brita water pitcher and don’t buy bottled water for drinking at home. Occasionally I give in – but when I give in I am paying for the convenience of having ice cold water in a handy container right then, not for the water itself.

2. mahanda says:

i have find that using little fresh lemon in my water makes it a little easier to stay with my plan to cut down the soda and save a little. two lemons a week (one for work and one for home) are lot cheaper than the soda and cold coffe i have been addicted to, and my body is already thanking me for it.

3. Gloria says:

How can I prove this to my sister. She is convinced tap water makes her sick. She’ll only drink mine because mine has a filter system.

4. Frugal Momma says:

I rarely buy bottle water. When I go out I always try to take water with me. We have Brita water filter and it worls great for us.

Theresa :)

5. terry1156 says:

Gloria,

Why not just buy her a Brita filter for her water – maybe as a gift for her next birthday or other gift giving occasion? If she is convinced, no amount of reasoning will work.

6. Since I live in an apartment building w/ very old, rusty pipes, I won’t drink the water straight out of the tap. But a countertop filter removes the sediment, and that’s enough for me.

If you have a compromised immune system or other severe health problems, it might be worth it to have your water tested. But you’re right: most people can do just fine with regular city water—I love the way Chicago’s tastes, and drink it all I can when I visit!

7. klauss says:

Sorry to break it to anyone trying to filter water with a filter system, but the only way to get actually pure water is by way of distillation and getting a water distiller. However, I do not have a problem with tap water, filtered/bottled water is a big waste of money.

8. Pingback: Personal Finance Advice » Blog Archive » Why Bottle Water Is A Waste Of Money Video