Coin Jar – What’s Yours Like?

my coin jar drawerOkay, I admit it. I have a curiosity of people’s coin jars. I love it when I visit a house for the first time and they have their coin jar in full view. I find it interesting the way that people collect their coins. Even though almost everyone in the world does it, no two coin jars are quite the same.

Some people will put bills in with the coins while other wouldn’t be caught dead doing so. Sometimes the coin jar becomes a mini pack-rat collection of small things with screws, thumb tacks, paper clips and rubber bands thrown into the mix. Other times the coin jars are so neat that the family has a different jar for each different type of coin: penny, nickel, dime, quarter, half do

This entry was posted in Saving Money, X Files. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Coin Jar – What’s Yours Like?

1. Jane Dough says:

Here is a photo of my coin jar. It also has a glass lid which is not pictured. I find it very important to have a lid on the jar – otherwise the coins tend to get dusty over time. This jar once held a scented candle. Once the candle was gone I recycled it into coin storage. I boldly store my coin jar in plain sight near my front door. Having it out makes it easy for me to find it to dump new coins into it when emptying pockets and coin purses.

2. debt monster says:

We use our swear jar as a change jar. We don’t swear near as much so it was empty for so long. We finally just started throwing our spare change in it and its filling up!! Yippie!

3. John OMM says:

We don’t use cash for many purchases so we don’t accumulate much change. However, whenever there is a bit of change I use it to buy stamps from the vending machine which luckily enough also takes pennies.

4. Nick says:

Our friends also have a swear jar. They donate the contents to charity every month. The best part is that they also enforce the swear jar against anyone who visits and is aware of the swear jar. They host our church group every Wednesday, and a week never goes by that someone doesn’t slip up.

The going rate on a swear? 50 cents for most of them. Five bucks for the F word. And since we’re all very Catholic, a g– d— costs ten bucks to the fool who utters it.

My own coin jar is less impressive–it’s a simple jar and it just has a bunch of coins in it.

5. collegesaver says:

I’ve posted mine up. It’s a hot pink cup with a lot of pennies on it. I keep the silver coins stacked next to it, especially since quarters are like gold during college… Have a great day!

6. Gigi says:

My coin jar is actually an unused wallet. It only has bicentennial quarters. I tend to use the rest of my change. I think it might be up to $10 or so.

7. Debt Free Me says:

I can’t take a picture because I don’t have a digital camera, but my “coin jar” is actually a set of 9 pewter pitchers from Holland that are about 100 years old. I bought them years ago while visiting my sister for about $5 and brought them home, then found out how much they are worth. I bought them at a trash market (kind of like a thrift store). I have bought various other sets of the past 5 years and always sold them for a great profit.

They sit on one of my book shelves. The largest holds a little bit of emergency cash (about 100) and the other hold the coins, each one a different size. The largest holds pennies since I seem to have more of them than anything, the second largest holds quarters, the third largest holds dimes, fourth holds nickels, 5-8 are empty because they are to little to hold. Interesting enough I rolled the money in the quarters, dimes and nickels when I moved and had almost $100. All from change and all from 3 months. Amazing! If I ever buy a digital camera I take a picture and post it. I love my jars, and they start some great conversations.

8. ~Dawn says:

Here’s my Coin Jar for your looksee

9. Flexo says:

I have a pretty standard Mason jar that both myself and my girlfriend contribute to. Every once in a while, it’s cleaned out and deposited into a joint ING Direct account.

10. Random Guy says:

I use a barf bag (unused) from a flight I took a couple years ago. The plastic lining makes the bag remarkably strong.

11. ~Dawn says:

Random Guy Says:
    April 12th, 2006 at 10:28 am

HAHAHA! That makes the funniest picture in my head

12. mapgirl says:

Since I’m flying a lot this summer, I’ll have to snatch up a few clean barf bags and try them out.

This year it’s a yellow plastic beer cup with my university crest and the Lenten piggy bank I made out of a red gingham print Chinese food container box. It was a gift box that I’ve re-purposed. I guess it’s new contents are a gift to myself.

13. Champion Cheapskate says:

Pennies, pennies, pennies. I’ve collected so many over the years in apple cider jugs. . . but what to do with them? Surely, I will pay no fee to dispose of them. So cashiers and merchants cringe when I pay the change portion or maybe a dollar or too in pennies :)

14. RS says:

My wife and I use a vase for our coin jar. Here is my post with the picture of what it looks like. It is empty right now because we are going on vacation next week.

My Coin Jar

15. Pingback: Personal Finance Advice » Blog Archive » God Of Wealth Good Luck Coins

16. Kayla says:

About how many pennies fit in a wide mouth mason jar. I’m lazy and don’t want to count!

17. Pingback: Frugal For Life » Blog Archive » My Coin Jar