Coin Jar – What’s Yours Like?

my coin jar drawerOkay, I admit it. I have a curiosity of people’s coin jars. I love it when I visit a house for the first time and they have their coin jar in full view. I find it interesting the way that people collect their coins. Even though almost everyone in the world does it, no two coin jars are quite the same.

Some people will put bills in with the coins while other wouldn’t be caught dead doing so. Sometimes the coin jar becomes a mini pack-rat collection of small things with screws, thumb tacks, paper clips and rubber bands thrown into the mix. Other times the coin jars are so neat that the family has a different jar for each different type of coin: penny, nickel, dime, quarter, half dollar and dollar. Some families have a community coin jar where everyone leaves their coins together, while other families have a coin jar for each individual.

“Jar” is also used extremely loosely here. While a good many are made of glass, just as many are made of different material in all shapes and sizes. Sometimes the coin jar was a default – the only thing around to hold coins when the person decided they needed to start a coin jar while other times it has been carefully chosen by the person to match his or her tastes.

coin jar double drawerI’ve had a wide variety of coin jars over the years. I’m the type that ends up using whatever happens to be around when I need to put a pocket full of change down. Currently I use two drawers next to my desk as my “coin jar” These are supposed to hold paper, but I defaulted them to my coin jar due to convenience. My wife ends up getting a lot of packages from her hobby/business and most of them are pay on delivery. That means I need easy access to coins quickly when the doorbell rings and a package needs to be paid for and the two drawers have proven to be the most convenient place thus far. Truly, there should only be one drawer, but for some reason I didn’t specify which particular one when I first decided to make them my new coin jar and so they ended up in one or the other drawer. Being too lazy to dump all the coins from one drawer to the other, both ended up being coin jars together.

my coin jar drawer

I think that the coin jar tells a little bit about you. my double drawer coin jar is typical of me. As you probably have already guessed, my wife’s coin jar is Hello Kitty. Hers is actually a tin can and fits perfectly on a shelf in the living room. Not only is it neatly placed, you can also see that it is rather neat on the inside as well with only a few coins. Unlike me, she is good at spending the coins when she has the opportunity and thus her coin jar never gets that full and the two highlight our differences in this area.

my coin jar drawer

I’ve often used money jars to help me remember people. For some reason, they have always been distinctive to me even when they were quite similar to someone else’s. There has been more than one time when I’ve been asked by a someone, “Do you remember so and so?” and my reply would be “Oh, you mean they guy that has in coins in German beer stein with the half naked lady on it.” At that point I would usually get a blank stare like I was half crazy since nobody but me would have noticed — until I finished “yes, I remember him…”

I can still remember the money jar that my dad had when I was growing up. All his coins went into a a Miami of Ohio Beer college beer mug that sat on his dresser and later got moved into the closet changing room. my best friend from elementary school to high school had his in huge water cooler bottle and I remember when he decided to turn all the coins in we couldn’t even lift it up it was so heavy.

Have a coin jar? Take a photo of it, place it in your blog or site and leave a comment here. I’d love to see it – a description on why you chose it would be all the better. I’ll link back to one and all and can’t wait to see what else everyone stashes their coins in…

Coin Jars Around The Blogosphere

• Barb’s Coin Jar: Armywife’s Journal
  • Jane Dough’s Coin Jar: Boston Gal’s Open Wallet
  • CollegeSaver’s Coin Jar: Life of a Poor College Student
  • Princess Perky’s Coin Jar: Princess Perky’s Page
  • Dawn’s Coin Jar: Frugal For Life
  • Contrary1’s Coin Jar: Contrary1’$ Money Musings
  • RS’s Coin Jar: Young Professionals Financial Blog
  • kashi’s Change Jar: kashi’s journal

• This entry was posted in Saving Money, X Files. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Coin Jar – What’s Yours Like?

1. Jane Dough says:

Here is a photo of my coin jar. It also has a glass lid which is not pictured. I find it very important to have a lid on the jar – otherwise the coins tend to get dusty over time. This jar once held a scented candle. Once the candle was gone I recycled it into coin storage. I boldly store my coin jar in plain sight near my front door. Having it out makes it easy for me to find it to dump new coins into it when emptying pockets and coin purses.

2. debt monster says:

We use our swear jar as a change jar. We don’t swear near as much so it was empty for so long. We finally just started throwing our spare change in it and its filling up!! Yippie!

3. John OMM says:

We don’t use cash for many purchases so we don’t accumulate much change. However, whenever there is a bit of change I use it to buy stamps from the vending machine which luckily enough also takes pennies.

4. Nick says:

Our friends also have a swear jar. They donate the contents to charity every month. The best part is that they also enforce the swear jar against anyone who visits and is aware of the swear jar. They host our church group every Wednesday, and a week never goes by that someone doesn’t slip up.

The going rate on a swear? 50 cents for most of them. Five bucks for the F word. And since we’re all very Catholic, a g– d— costs ten bucks to the fool who utters it.

My own coin jar is less impressive–it’s a simple jar and it just has a bunch of coins in it.

5. collegesaver says:

I’ve posted mine up. It’s a hot pink cup with a lot of pennies on it. I keep the silver coins stacked next to it, especially since quarters are like gold during college… Have a great day!

6. Gigi says:

My coin jar is actually an unused wallet. It only has bicentennial quarters. I tend to use the rest of my change. I think it might be up to $10 or so.

7. Debt Free Me says:

I can’t take a picture because I don’t have a digital camera, but my “coin jar” is actually a set of 9 pewter pitchers from Holland that are about 100 years old. I bought them years ago while visiting my sister for about $5 and brought them home, then found out how much they are worth. I bought them at a trash market (kind of like a thrift store). I have bought various other sets of the past 5 years and always sold them for a great profit.

They sit on one of my book shelves. The largest holds a little bit of emergency cash (about 100) and the other hold the coins, each one a different size. The largest holds pennies since I seem to have more of them than anything, the second largest holds quarters, the third largest holds dimes, fourth holds nickels, 5-8 are empty because they are to little to hold. Interesting enough I rolled the money in the quarters, dimes and nickels when I moved and had almost $100. All from change and all from 3 months. Amazing! If I ever buy a digital camera I take a picture and post it. I love my jars, and they start some great conversations.

8. ~Dawn says:

Here’s my Coin Jar for your looksee

9. Flexo says:

I have a pretty standard Mason jar that both myself and my girlfriend contribute to. Every once in a while, it’s cleaned out and deposited into a joint ING Direct account.

10. Random Guy says:

I use a barf bag (unused) from a flight I took a couple years ago. The plastic lining makes the bag remarkably strong.

11. ~Dawn says:

Random Guy Says:
      April 12th, 2006 at 10:28 am

HAHAHA! That makes the funniest picture in my head

12. mapgirl says:

Since I’m flying a lot this summer, I’ll have to snatch up a few clean barf bags and try them out.

This year it’s a yellow plastic beer cup with my university crest and the Lenten piggy bank I made out of a red gingham print Chinese food container box. It was a gift box that I’ve re-purposed. I guess it’s new contents are a gift to myself.

13. Champion Cheapskate says:

Pennies, pennies, pennies. I’ve collected so many over the years in apple cider jugs. . . but what to do with them? Surely, I will pay no fee to dispose of them. So cashiers and merchants cringe when I pay the change portion or maybe a dollar or too in pennies :)

14. RS says:

My wife and I use a vase for our coin jar. Here is my post with the picture of what it looks like. It is empty right now because we are going on vacation next week.

My Coin Jar

15. Pingback: Personal Finance Advice » Blog Archive » God Of Wealth Good Luck Coins

16. Kayla says:

About how many pennies fit in a wide mouth mason jar. I’m lazy and don’t want to count!

17. Pingback: Frugal For Life » Blog Archive » My Coin Jar