Bill Gates’ Desk vs My Desk

Well, I couldn’t pass up this opportunity. Bill Gates wrote an article appearing on Money.com titled How I Work: Bill Gates As you can imagine, Bill and I work a tad differently so I thought I would go through some of the differences:

Bill Gates Desk
Bill Gates’ Desk
photo by Robyn Twomey from money.com

From the article, here is a nice photo of Bill Gates and his desk. this is what he has to say in relation to it and his office:

If you look at this office, there isn’t much paper in it. On my desk I have three screens, synchronized to form a single desktop. I can drag items from one screen to the next. Once you have that large display area, you’ll never go back, because it has a dire

This entry was posted in Miscellaneous. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Bill Gates’ Desk vs My Desk

1. Cap says:

very neat. I love the low tech calculator, who doesn’t have one??

once I find my camera, I’ll snap a few too and link back.

2. Cap says:

oh yeah, is the white booklet near your sake cups, an accounting book or something? I recognize the character of money.

3. Hazzard says:

hahahahahahaha
    Great post!
    My desk is a little bit more like Bill Gates than yours, but it still pales in comparison. I also am not worth $50 billion. Very creative post!

4. Financial Freedumb says:

LOL…Great post! Thanks for the comparison…Your desk is much neat than my desk…trust me :/

5. Chris K says:

Mine is (unfortunately) a lot like Bill G’s desk. It’s almost creepy. I have 3 monitors, on the left is my email (gmail also – on firefox), center is whatever I’m working on, right is my browser(opera) with a network monitor at the bottom and trillian at the right.

One thing I did differently though is I have three identical monitors running at three different resolutions. Left is 1024×768 because I don’t need too much real estate to see email, right is 1280×1024 because I like the extra room around the sides for the extra apps, and center is 1600×1200 so I can have plenty of windows open for whatever I”m working on. Oh, and I use the window as a whiteboard – there’s no room for a real one!

6. John says:

Is that your desk or my desk? I can’t tell the difference…

7. pfadvice says:

Yep, you hit it on the nail – it’s an accounting book that, over the years, has turned into my “everything savingadvice.com” book

8. sue says:

My computer is in my kitchen with dishes, pots and pans, coffee maker. I am sure Bill G doesn’t have all that!! I keep it close to heart of the home so some perve doesn’t stalk my children.

9. ~Dawn says:

Aren’t most CEO desk’s pretty clean anyway?

10. makingourway says:

Jeffrey,

I love the post!!! Very creative and funny.
    With all of Mr. Gate’s money, I would have expected more gadgets!! I assume money doesn’t buy time!

Mike, if those cpitures are true, gates had a clean desk even then – howe impressive!

Jeffrey, although a bit cluttered, at least you have your paper fairly organized!

My desk is overwhelmed with a central pile of paper that seems to fall over too often, a standing in out file that is weeping from to many things inside it and a random clutter of paper cascading across the desktop.

And to think I try to scan and image all imporant documents.

I’m beginning to wonder if all documents are as important as I imagine.

Have a wonderful Thursday,
    Making Our Way

11. Harrison says:

thanks for sharing with us your personal working desk. I have a little quetion, do you know chinese? Because I found a book with some chinese words or other language on your table in your last photo. Just curious :-)

12. pfadvice says:

I live in Japan.

13. Perky says:

I got your desk beat in size (small) mine is an oldschool desk, complete with space for books under the surface. it fits the keyboard with monitor sitting on a file cabnet beside :)

Though I have to say I doint’ have a low tech calculator, I have one old high tech (at the time) graphing calculator, and I think my four year old knows how to do more with it than I do! (wich doesn’t take much)

14. Pingback: Retire Young and Wealthy » My Desk

15. Mike says:

I don’t know why, but some how my post is now comment here. Check out my beatuiful desk!

16. Pingback: Mighty Bargain Hunter » Roundup for the week of 2 April 2006

17. Pingback: Free Money Finance

18. Pingback: Financial Freedumb - Sometimes it takes a little bit of dumb to achieve financial freedom. » My Desk, My Very Messy Desk

19. Pingback: Financial Freedumb - Sometimes it takes a little bit of dumb to achieve financial freedom. » Friday! Update: Inspiration, Reality, and What a Week! 04.07.2006

20. swarovski says:

Bill Gates may have a high tech whiteboard for brainstorming, three monitors etc etc etc!
    But has he got a Hello Kitty notepad ? I think not.